01 Must 4.6L into Project Vehicle Questions with Computer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

01 Must 4.6L into Project Vehicle Questions with Computer

I am looking to use a 4.6L motor out of an "01" Mustang in a project that I am working on. Is it at all possible to use the computer that was in the car to run the motor by itself in the project that I will be putting it in? The computer will only have to control all the aspects of the motor and nothing else. Is this possible and if so where would I get started? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

You will need the PCM all the wiring , the fuel pump will have to be compatible so you will need to use a pump with the same pressure/volume specifications.
If it has an automatic you will need to use the electronic transmission with it, I believe it would be a 4r70W
You will have to get a complete EWD for the Engine electronics, and will need to be able to read it and understand the symbols, connector markings,etc.
Then you will need to be able to dissect the unwanted part of the wiring and fab it to your project and make it look neat and function properly,same with the fuel system.
Any part of the electronic system not used or deleted from the factory setup will undoubtedly set trouble codes and Illuminate The MIL ( check engine light)
It is a task you should not take lightly, but it is very do able.I love wiring and fab work like you are talking about for your build. I could enjoy doing that instead of wrenching on the publics rides.Best of luck

Last edited by latech; 12-20-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Kind of sounds like I may be a bit over my head with trying to use the existing computer. Have you delt with any companies that make Engine Management Systems? I just found one, detail Zone. They make system that will conect to the engine wiring harness and control the engine. They get $860.00 for the kit, but it is sounding like it may be worth it. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 PM

I used a 04 mustang 4.6 and 4r70w in our 1939 ford, with the factory computer. I used a perfomance program called sniper to remove the pats (passive anti theft) before removing engine from donor car. The computer needs to see the key code before changes can be made to it. The program also lets you remove the rear O2 sensors and do few other tuning items. I used the mustangs fuel pump, one line fuel system,engine wiring harness (shortened) and cooling fan. We have 12,000 miles on it and the only codes that show up are for the evap emissions. It sounds nice with 2 1/2 exhaust and gets 25+ MPG on regular unleaded fuel. Hope this helps, I studied online quite a while and got a good wiring diagram. Vern
Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90pole
I used a 04 mustang 4.6 and 4r70w in our 1939 ford, with the factory computer. I used a perfomance program called sniper to remove the pats (passive anti theft) before removing engine from donor car. The computer needs to see the key code before changes can be made to it. The program also lets you remove the rear O2 sensors and do few other tuning items. I used the mustangs fuel pump, one line fuel system,engine wiring harness (shortened) and cooling fan. We have 12,000 miles on it and the only codes that show up are for the evap emissions. It sounds nice with 2 1/2 exhaust and gets 25+ MPG on regular unleaded fuel. Hope this helps, I studied online quite a while and got a good wiring diagram. Vern
Care to share the diagram? Thks.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

Did you have to make many changes to the existing wiring harness on the engine? I have a number of people telling me that I will need to take a lot of wires out of the harness, but the only changes that I can see I will be making is the removal of the back O2 sensors. I was planning on using the existing engine harness, the firewall plug on that harness, the plug inside on the firewall with the harness to the ECU. I will not be able to access the engine since it is already removed.

Where did you get a copy of the Sniper program that you used and did it cost much? Also do you need to be a computer programer to be able to use this program? Where did you pick up the diagram that you used? I really appreciate the help.

Thanks
Walt
Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 PM

Last journal entry: Model A Tudor: Back From Randy's
Last photo:

I know it's not what you asked, and may be of no interest to you, but an easy alternative is an intake manifold, carburetor, and non-computer distributor. Can be cheap off eBay and simplifies the fuel lines as well as the wiring.

I did this to a 5.0 HO for my '34 and it runs great. Used an HEI distributor, requiring all of three wires (ignition, tach, and choke).

This is a good alternative for a street rod or hot rod but may not suit your car or taste. Just a suggestion.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
I know it's not what you asked, and may be of no interest to you, but an easy alternative is an intake manifold, carburetor, and non-computer distributor. Can be cheap off eBay and simplifies the fuel lines as well as the wiring.

I did this to a 5.0 HO for my '34 and it runs great. Used an HEI distributor, requiring all of three wires (ignition, tach, and choke).

This is a good alternative for a street rod or hot rod but may not suit your car or taste. Just a suggestion.
4.6's have no distributor, you need a computer.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

If you pm me your email I can send you schematics
Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 PM

The wiring diagram I used is the mustang one from Ford that are on e-bay. I can't remember were I got the sniper program but it was about $300, is good for two fords and used a window based program that is pretty easy. Sniper has a web site and forums, you maybe be able to send them your computer to get the pats out.

I used the Mustangs power point but opened most of the harness to get rid of what was not needed and add new wires for lighting and instruments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0100.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	660.2 KB
ID:	61241   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0719.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	61242  
Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

Hi Vern, How many wires needed to be removed from the engine wire harness? I know that the two rear O2 wires, but I was thinking beyond that all of the sensors, ignition and fuel injectors, fuel pump, etc wiring remains. The biggest question that I have is how easy was it to remove the wire harness from the donor car? The car that I am using is at a salvage yard and they have to remove it not me. I am sure that the harness had a lot of branches coming off of it, so did you remove all of those branches wth it or cut them?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Hi, I would get everything under the hood and to transmission, also the constant control relay (module behind coolant reservoir) The PCM (behind pass kick panel) and wiring to it that is part of engine harness. I think with the factory computer you have to use the mustangs fuel pump, it uses a fuel pump driver module (underside of luggage compartment) and get harness that plugs into it. I used the Battery junction box (power point?) and electric engine cooling fan. I would get it running in a mock up and then start triming and shorting when you are sure you don't need anything else.
Vern
Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 AM

Hi, I just thought of something else you could use out of the donar, the speed control servo if you want cruise controll. I notice in your first post you don't want to use a computer controlled trans, so make sure the donars a manual trans or get a computer from a manual trans car. The PCM(computer)and cruise contoll will be looking for a pluse from the trans output speed sensor. Vern

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.