Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   02' Impala Exhaust Resonator (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/02-impala-exhaust-resonator-185656.html)

crussell85 10-07-2010 03:54 PM

02' Impala Exhaust Resonator

I have a 2002 Chevrolet Impala LS with the 3800 and around 250,000 miles. The exhaust resonator on my car is rotted out and I hate the sound of it, it is just a loud exhaust leak. I checked on the price of a replacement resonator and it was around 75 bucks. I am wondering what would happen if I just cut out the resonator and replaced with a piece of 2.25" pipe? With the car get louder? Will my fuel mileage change? Will performance be affected? And the most important question to me is, will it change the lifespan of the engine?

cobalt327 10-07-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crussell85
I have a 2002 Chevrolet Impala LS with the 3800 and around 250,000 miles. The exhaust resonator on my car is rotted out and I hate the sound of it, it is just a loud exhaust leak. I checked on the price of a replacement resonator and it was around 75 bucks. I am wondering what would happen if I just cut out the resonator and replaced with a piece of 2.25" pipe? With the car get louder? Will my fuel mileage change? Will performance be affected? And the most important question to me is, will it change the lifespan of the engine?

Being as how the resonator is downstream of the O2 sensor, there will be no difference in the engine lifespan if you were to remove it. It will be louder than with the resonator in place, but not as bad of a sound as the resonator w/a hole in it or it leaking exhaust.

There will not be any difference, performance-wise if you remove it, if anything there will be a little bit less backpressure and it might actually run a little bit better, same w/the mileage- it will be either the same or a tiny bit better. Likely as not, the difference will not be measurable w/o very careful testing.

The small amount that the removal of the resonator affects the exhaust backpressure will be easily compensated for by the ECM, so if you want to replace it w/a length of pipe, I see no problem w/doing that.

I'm not an authority, but I do not believe this will have any affect on the smog police, either- but you might want to check on this first if you have inspections where you are at.

crussell85 10-07-2010 07:34 PM

thanks a million, i have been researching online for about 2 hours after I posted and never really got the information of what I wanted.

cobalt327 10-07-2010 07:49 PM

HERE'S what a '06 Impala SS sounds like, w/o the resonator.

Caballerokid 10-07-2010 11:50 PM

Doesn't sound natural... sounds rigged :rolleyes: .

cobalt327 10-08-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caballerokid
Doesn't sound natural... sounds rigged :rolleyes: .

Rigged? I'm not following you... :confused:

crussell85 10-08-2010 10:46 AM

I sure hope it won't sound like that, I don't want it to be loud at all. I talked to a few muffler shops today during my adventures of trying to find someone that sells pipe by the foot, everyone sells it in 10 ft pieces and nobody wants to cut it except for tuffy that will cut it and then charge me 6 bucks a ft. The shops told me that they take them off all the time and the exhaust doesn't change much at all. I drive this car for work and travel with it all the time for work so I don't want a loud exhaust to have to listen to for 3 hours straight. I am going to delete the resonator and will post my results.

cobalt327 10-08-2010 11:56 AM

The point in the video was to show you that it WILL be louder. This is a fact. I cannot say how much louder it will be- but I'd rather you know now than have it come as a surprise later.

I would think anything would be better than a leaking resonator, though- from a sound as well as a safety standpoint- CO can infiltrate the cabin if the exhaust is leaking beneath the vehicle.

But unless you want to pay the $75 for a resonator (not that bad, really), there are no other options except maybe finding a cheaper resonator from another vehicle, or take a chance on the sound level.

crussell85 10-08-2010 04:54 PM

ok, I removed the resonator and replace with a length of pipe. Standing behind the car listening to the muffler it sounds a little more crackly. Inside the car I don't even notice any difference.

Going to Cambridge Nebraska tommorow to work, anyone know of anything interesting to see around that area?

cobalt327 10-08-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crussell85
Going to Cambridge Nebraska tommorow to work, anyone know of anything interesting to see around that area?

Are you kidding? THEY are all waiting to see YOU!! All 1000 of them...

Caballerokid 10-08-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327
Rigged? I'm not following you... :confused:

modified in a junky way... it sounds too tin like in the cackle. doesn't sound like a good "stock" muffler and doesn't sound like a good "street" muffler. sounds like someone has hacked into the exhaust and done something sub par. JMO :rolleyes:

crussell85 10-08-2010 10:29 PM

I think what he means is more like Jerry rigged. Done to get by.