.024 mig wire - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 08:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

.024 mig wire

I keep hearing to use .023 welding mire, but I found the millermatic 140 and it uses .024 welding wire. So before I buy it, is .024 good for older cars and trucks? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 09:03 PM
boatbob2

.023---????????

Hi,i have used .024 a lot on body work,use gas with it,because it does NOT have flux inside.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Seems like I read some where that reverse the polarity helps with thin metal on the older cars ?

do not quote me on that .
Old 06-14-2009, 11:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
Seems like I read some where that reverse the polarity helps with thin metal on the older cars ?

do not quote me on that .

You had better run that stuff on reverse polarity no matter how heavy the metal, it will run like crap on straight! Straight polarity is used for gas-less flux core wire however but if the welder is set up straight for flux core it MUST be switched to reverse (electrode positive, work negative) before attempting to weld with solid wire.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 AM
More for Less Racer

Also, there is no difference between .024" and .023" wire, it is only ONE thousandths of an inch difference in size and can be used interchangebly in either size machines
Old 06-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Also, there is no difference between .024" and .023" wire, it is only ONE thousandths of an inch difference in size and can be used interchangebly in either size machines
Excuse me that One thousand does make a difference in the feed of the wire...I have the Miller 140 and the .024 wire feeds better///As far as the welding part the .024 wire works just fine..

Sam
Old 06-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Whatever size you use, make sure the wire and the hose liner is clean. Dirty wire will clog up a liner pretty fast and then it own't matter if .001 makes a difference or not. If your wire shows the slightest bit of rust, spool off the top layer/layers until you can run the wire through your hand or glove and it stays clean.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1
Whatever size you use, make sure the wire and the hose liner is clean. Dirty wire will clog up a liner pretty fast and then it own't matter if .001 makes a difference or not. If your wire shows the slightest bit of rust, spool off the top layer/layers until you can run the wire through your hand or glove and it stays clean.

And to add to that, grinding operations go hand-in-hand with welding but BE CAREFUL where the grinding sparks are going! A great deal of the feed problems with wire feed welders can be traced to grinding dust stuck to the wire, those grinding sparks are tiny specks of red hot/molten metal that will literally weld themselves to the wire making it very difficult to feed. Since most wires spools are exposed and the welder is very likely to be in close proximity to the grinding operation it is very common to see a shower of grinding sparks falling onto the wire spool, when this happens the wire quickly becomes junk! Not only that but once this crap gets into the liner by way of contaminated wire the liner too becomes junk and the only option is replacement. Grinders are a VERY common cause of welder feed problems but some some reason it rarely gets mentioned but it is a very real problem. The trick is to keep your wire (better yet the entire welder) covered when grinding and at any time it is going to be out of use for a while, a welder sitting in a corner collecting dust is a PITA in the making.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Oh yeah! Dust is a concern and so is grinding dust. My machine is a MillerMatic 200 and I got it used in 86 and had to do a little work on it recently and when I opened it up, I was amazed it was even running lol. The fan alone will pull in lots of dust too so they need to be cleaned from time to time.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:42 AM

Last journal entry: Original wood for Drip pan
Last photo:

I have a Dan Mig 141 with gas that I am learning how to use. I see no provision to change the polarity on the outside of the box. Is it done internally?

Jack
Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfalco
I have a Dan Mig 141 with gas that I am learning how to use. I see no provision to change the polarity on the outside of the box. Is it done internally?

Jack

It is just a matter of switching leads actually so that what is now the work lead becomes the ground lead and vice-versa so look at the machine and decide how this is best done in your case. If your machine came set up as a MIG from the factory then it is already set up as reverse polarity. However if it was not a MIG (gas-less flux core welders are not MIGs, all MIGs use gas-(M)etal (I)nert (G)as) and was converted to use gas then it may not have been switched, which it must do. Just look at your machine and decide how it is easiest done, there may be several ways to accomplish this.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:35 PM

thanks so .024 will be o.k. When I get some money I will buy the millermatic 140. Unless there is a cheaper miller that is even better, if you know of one please tell me.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Last journal entry: Original wood for Drip pan
Last photo:

Old Red, Thanks for the reply. I bought the welder used so don't know how it was set up. In welding sheet metal how would the welds differ between - polarity and straight polarity?

Jack.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfalco
Old Red, Thanks for the reply. I bought the welder used so don't know how it was set up. In welding sheet metal how would the welds differ between - polarity and straight polarity?

Jack.

If the welder is set up for straight polarity (wire negative, ground positive) then you will get a lot of spatter, excessive burn-back and poor penetration with solid mild steel wire. The difference between the right and wrong polarity setting when using solid wire and C25 gas will be a lot more noticeable than trying to run the wrong polarity with flux core wire, most flux core wires anyway.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:51 PM

I will mostly use the solid wire in it. I might every now and then use the flux-core but I got a flux-core only welder now and I hardly ever use it. So I will mostly be using the solid wire with gas. BTW what is the best gas mixture for welding on car and truck bodys? thanks

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.