03 ZR2 front drive shaft cv joint disassembly? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 PM
old dog learning new tricks

Wiki Edits: 0

03 ZR2 front drive shaft cv joint disassembly?

2003 Chevy S10 ZR2 4.3 liter 4x4

How do I disassemble the CV joint on the transfer case end of my front driveshaft? My front drivetrain was recently under water for about an hour when I stuck my truck in a deep hole and I've changed fluid 3 times in the differential and replaced the DS front axle and DS wheel bearing. But water got into the driveshaft CV joint and it's popping/grinding ect. when under load.
I can't afford a replacement shaft/joint right now so I just want to clean the crap out of it and pack the CV joint with grease to make it last a while longer. I have the driveshaft out but I don't see how to disassemble the CV joint without tearing up something.
Is this collar threaded? I tried to turn it clockwise and cc but with no result other than trashing the collar.
Thanks for any help!
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Well we tried a pipe wrench and 4' cheater bar but never got that collar to move so I drilled the housing (pictures here) and threaded a grease zirk into it then pumped the grease in and the muddy water out. The shaft is running fine now with no popping/grinding noise. Last night a friend burried his Z71 w/35 x 14.5" Super Swamper tires on an old log skidder road. The Z71 motor never would restart so I pulled him ~300 yards through several deep holes out to the gravel. My driveshaft did fine so I'm happy for now. Gee, would it have been so hard for GM to put a grease zirk in that joint. It only took me a few minutes and it would extend the life of that joint drastically.
Next project - cleaning my truck.

But I'm still curious about how to dissasemble that CV joint/shaft. It still will need replacing when I get the $.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

A lot of these are not servicable. GM gets to give you a complete new $haft.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
A lot of these are not servicable. GM gets to give you a complete new $haft.
Well bless thier GM parts hearts @ $1468.13. I just cant wait to spend a whole weeks paycheck to replace a part that was manufactured out of materials of the quality capable to last a long time. But no friggin way. This part could last 300.000+ miles or more on a part time front axle drive like my truck if given the ability to lubricate it. I guess grease zirks cease to be fitted in order to boost GM parts sales... And GM is not the only culprit.
There are several bearing/seal designs on late model vehicles that need no service, and last almost forever (hats off to these designs). But this joint on this model truck is certainly no more than a simple constant velocity joint with a rubber boot to keep grease in and foriegn matter out. (And in my case it obviously does not keep foriegn matter out) - hence, put a lubrication access point on it It -duh... It just pisses me off that the automotive manufacturers don't provide post-sale lubrication ability for these parts.

Just for kicks I'm going to go down that log skidder road all the way to the river (where not many trucks can get to any more) one more time tonight just to drive home the point that lubrication works.
Before I lubricated this this shaft it was popping and binding and sounded like it was going to break/lock the bearing at any minute. I wander how much extreme abuse it will take now? - A lot more than it would have with no lube for sure. (pics when I get back)
(/close rant).

Thanks for your reply BOB!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 96 ws6

Just for kicks I'm going to go down that log skidder road all the way to the river (where not many trucks can get to any more) one more time tonight just to drive home the point that lubrication works.
Done. But I was by myself so no photo's/videos except for a few pics and this short vid I took setting my camera on the side of the road just to show there is no noise from the drivetrain.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

looks like you need to fab up a front skid plate. it would help keep a lot of that muck out of the workings, and maybe help keep your fan belt on when you are stuck in that big bog. nothin like losing a fan belt and overheating cuzz you were busy trying to get unstuck and didn't check the guages in time.....
Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven
looks like you need to fab up a front skid plate. it would help keep a lot of that muck out of the workings, and maybe help keep your fan belt on when you are stuck in that big bog. nothin like losing a fan belt and overheating cuzz you were busy trying to get unstuck and didn't check the guages in time.....
Those trucks came with full skid plates. Eariler S10/Blazer were made of aluminum up until 97. After that they went to carbon fiber
Old 03-16-2012, 03:53 PM

I've got the carbon fiber plates but removed them to access this shaft easier. After a thorough truck cleaning and lube I'll get them back in place.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.