04 mustang rust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 03:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

04 mustang rust

I have read a lot from guys concerned about rust forming between overlapping seams(and rightfully so!)and I guess we assume the factory does not have this problem anymore or should not anyway. However I am repairing a front end bang-up on my daughter,s 04 mustang and I was shocked at the amount of rust that has formed between the seams and this car is less than two years old. I first noticed rust stains coming from underneath the fender apron seams at the spot welds when I removed the fenders and when I drilled out the welds to remove the radiator support and aprons I found that surface rust had formed almost everywhere the metal overlaps. When I mentioned this to a co-worker he showed me his 99 mustang that has a busted roof trim,this is the fiberglass trim that goes where the drip rail went on older cars,and it has a lot of rust under this trim. He said when he went to the salvage yard to find this piece that every mustang he looked at was rusty in this area, I am almost afraid to check the one I am working on. Is this common on most newer cars to have rust in seams and under trim pieces or is this unique to the mustang? I am not trying to knock ford here I have been a mustang fan for years but I am not liking what I am seeing here.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

It is an unfortunate fact about lapped joints that there will be rust in there..about all I know to do is use a weld through primer and then seal the lap joint with epoxy to keep air and moisture out..

Wish I had a better answer for this..

Air+moisture+steel=rust

OMT
Old 07-18-2005, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

3m's rust fighter or Transtar's Amber rust preventative coating, both are a cavity wax spray that will treat these lapped joints.

I did a quarter panel replacement on an 03 Taurus with 18K miles, the outer wheelhouse had rust through already. This is really sad with all the technology we have today. Ford is using foam type sound deadeners that wick moisture like a sponge, add to that most of the seams aren't sealed. Dust gets in the crevices then absorbs moisture and turns to a mud holding moisture and more dust. Another interesting thing I notice with the Taurus design- the rear panel is welded together with a weld through seam sealer--when I opened this seam up ther was zero rust. In conclusion I'd have to assume Ford was more concerned about water leaks in the trunk of this design than they were of corrosion problems. Had they used the same construction weld through sealer throughout the car would probably last too long.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:15 AM

Last photo:

Well I pulled the roof trim on one side last night and sure enough the roof is rusty underneath. With this much rust on a car less than 2 years old driven on salt free roads I think mustang owners will be facing a real problem in a few years. As I said I have been a mustang fan since they first took to the roads but I am sorely disappointed with what I am finding here and I would advise any owner who intends to keep his 99-04 car for the long haul to check under that trim and deal with any rust now before it starts to leak. There is just no excuse for crap like this, I mean even a little paint on the roof under that trim would have prevented the roof from rusting but it is not even painted in this area! I would think even a total idiot would know better than to slap a piece of trim over over an unpainted surface so this has to be part of an obsolescence plan.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.