Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelboi
I got a set of 041 heads from a bud of mine with all the good parts to get them re-done. Heres the list of things he give me. is there anything that I'm missing? thanks for the help

Howards Cams Street Series Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Lifters
Valve Locks, 10 Degree, 1-Groove, 11/32 in
Pushrods, High Energy, 5/16 in. Diameter, 7.266 in. Length
Valve Springs, Single, 1.265 in. Outside Diameter, 425 lbs./in. Rate, 1.150 in. Coil Bind Height,
Guideplates, Flat, 5/16 in. Pushrod Size
ROLLER ROCKERS 1.5 3/8 STUD
3/8" ROCKER ARM STUD KIT
Valve Stem Seals, Dupont Fluoroelastomer, Positive Stop, 11/32 in. Valve Stem
Valve Spring Retainers, Chromemoly, 10 Degree, 1.250 in. O.D.,
If the seats aren't sunk excessively, I wouldn't worry about running w/o hardened seats unless this was a DD.

If the seats are sunken too much and the heads have 1.94" x 1.5" valve seats, you can install new seat inserts or open the seats up for 2.02" x 1.6" valves. This will require hand blending the seats into the port 'pocket', or else there's no point in doing it in the first place. At this point you might as well use hardened exhaust seats, but the choice is yours.

Have the rocker studs been converted to screw in studs? If not, that will need to be done, along w/machining the guide boss to fit the seals. The decks should be checked and milled if needed.

Regarding the springs, they sound like Howard p/n 98212. These are solid flat tappet-type springs. If these springs have the right specs for the cam you choose, then so be it. But all in all I'd rather see you use the right spring for whatever cam you choose to run, rather than using these springs "just because".

Then there's the guides to consider. If they're original, they will need to be reconditioned w/a bronze liner, or by some other means. By the time you add all this up, you may well find that a new set of heads will be within spitting distance of what you'll spend to get these heads into good shape- and they will still not flow as good as most any aftermarket head, or even as good as a Vortec head.