Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   05 Grand Cherokee Jeep Noisy Rear End No More.... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/05-grand-cherokee-jeep-noisy-rear-end-no-more-211077.html)

wuncbitten 12-15-2011 03:57 PM

05 Jeep Grand Cherokee nise in right rear on acceleration.

Hi I'm a recently widowed owner of an 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee that ran great and had no issues until a week ago after an oil change....don't cringe, I know things happen, just seems ironic....feel a raking over the coals coming on.

What I noticed right away, driving home was the whining coming from the rear. Listening more it seems from the right rear, is loudest during acceleration and very clear after release from gas pedal. I am used to the jeep sound and it can sound rough if you're not used to it. I was told after we bought it that it was normal. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be...also would doing an oil change have anything o do with this issue? Thanks for your insight. :sweat:

poncho62 12-15-2011 04:14 PM

Cant see that the oil change had anything to do with it, probably just a coincidence.....I would check the wheel bearings.

LATECH 12-15-2011 04:20 PM

Oil change would not make this happen.
rear wheel bearings on those is usually a concern, and thats what it sounds like. Not a terrible issue, or expensive, probably 300 bucks at the going rate down in MD. Shop rates are higher in bigger cities as is most everything else.Not trying to be smart, just stating the facts.
Lets hope it isnt the ring and pinion. Seems those carriers are kinda weak and they spread allowing the gears to become misaligned, causing wear on the gear that causes the noise and ultimately failure.That job can get a little pricey.More like 800-1000. Lets hope it is just a wheel bearing.

prostreet6t9 12-15-2011 04:34 PM

My vote is Pinion and or carrier Brgs. I average 2 or 3 Jeeps a week with Brg problems.

You might double check the fluid level in the diff. I've had to fix more than 1 differential after one of the cheap oil change places have had their hands on them.

wuncbitten 12-15-2011 05:00 PM

05 Jeep Grand Cherokee nise in right rear on acceleration

thanks all for your responses, it is really helpful...@prostreet-the oil change was done at a Jeep dealer who posts here I've seen. is there any chance they would use a cheap oil brand you're referring to? :)

prostreet6t9 12-15-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuncbitten
thanks all for your responses, it is really helpful...@prostreet-the oil change was done at a Jeep dealer who posts here I've seen. is there any chance they would use a cheap oil brand you're referring to? :)

No not the brand of oil. I was using the phase "cheap oil change place" instead of naming any names. The problems I've seen are from a "drive up" type place. They sell a differential oil change and didnt get the diff full of oil. I would think your level is fine if the dealer did it.

wuncbitten 12-15-2011 10:30 PM

05 Jeep Grand Cherokee noise in right rear on acceleration

@prostreet, I see what you mean, no the oil change was at a dealer, never go to the cheapos, had bad experience with loosing an engine on a cadi throwing a rod from dry cylinders (vacuuming oil out for speedy change). Will never go there again.....will take jeep to dealer where purchased on Mon AM, just needed to be armed with as much info as poss before opening myself up...some of the shops are full of sharks and us single ladies are "easy prey", "sitting ducks", or "plum for-the-picking", so I try to "head em off at the path", by being prepared. This is a great forum, I'm glad I found it..a lil time for research paid off. Wish some of you were near here where I could feel more confident in the service. Thank You & Best Wishes :)

SSedan64 12-15-2011 10:55 PM

Hope one of the young Techs didn't do any Offroad joyriding while they had it. :boxing: Something sounds Fishy there.
Did they only change the Engine oil?

wuncbitten 12-15-2011 11:01 PM

05 Jeep Grand Cherokee noise in right rear on acceleration.

@SSedan...my feelings exactly, didn't want to come out accusing anyone, but I am of the mind.....how do you go from, well oiled machine to this on same day of oil change...kinda make you go mmmhhh. :nono:

SSedan64 12-15-2011 11:13 PM

That is very odd.
A possibilty:
Someone thought the Rear Diff oil was to be changed, so they removed the Cover & drained the oil, then realized it was an Engine oil change but, forgot to refill the Diff. I doubt they're that careless but, anything's possible. :drunk: It would be easy to see if the Cover had been removed & replaced tho'. Hopefully it will be something simple & cheap. :thumbup:

wuncbitten 12-15-2011 11:27 PM

@SSedan, thanks for the tip...I will have that checked as well. this w/not be the first time I've had the tech actually cause the prob...once on purpose...... hence my UN "wuncbitten"...stranger things have happened...hope to get to the bottom of this.

wuncbitten 12-16-2011 10:13 AM

Hello again everyone,

I have one more question on this, should my sensor on the Jeep have detected tis problem and had the "perform service" or "check engine" light come on the dash? It was the sensor that alerted me to go in to have my car serviced in the first place and all they found was the spare tire air pressure was low and a poss oil change (which according them, I could have waited to have done). Would the sensor warn about the whining noise in the rear normally, if it is the pinion, differential or anything serious like that? :)

wuncbitten 12-16-2011 10:34 AM

05 Jeep Cherokee sensors for rear end problem...

Hello All,

A follow up question to previous thread regarding "noise in the right rear of the jeep". Should the sensor alert me to this problem on the dash if it is the pinion, differential or anything along those line? The sensor is what caused me to go in for service. The only thing they said was found is low air pressure in the spare tire and a possible oil change (they said the oil change could have waited but I had them do it anyway). The noise was there after the oil change as I was driving home. :confused:

T-bucket23 12-16-2011 01:26 PM

Did they rotate the tires by any chance. If so the lugs could be loose. Also if they attempted to change the rear end fluid and forgot to re-fill it or didnt fill it properly it will make noise and destroy the bearings.
Rear axle bearings are a vrey common issue on those so it could be coincidence as well. I would look at your slip and see exactly what they did, then post back

T-bucket23 12-16-2011 01:44 PM

Did they rotate the tires by any chance. If so the lugs could be loose. Also if they attempted to change the rear end fluid and forgot to re-fill it or didnt fill it properly it will make noise and destroy the bearings.
Rear axle bearings are a very common issue on those so it could be coincidence as well. I would look at your slip and see exactly what they did, then post back