Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1/4 panels on my civic si
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 11:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Reading my last post, I sound like an *******, so let me explain what I meant.

When I was 17 (2 years ago), I was also a virgin with cars (if Im not still ). I distinctly remember my first attempt at welding on my car. Sure, I practised and practised on scraps until I was comfortable. And then I gi on my back, ready to weld in the nice lower quarter patch on my Monte.

Tack tack tack tack tack. Sweet, its in place. Then I started stiching the weld, only to have some areas burn back, some areas not get enough penetration, and generally my weld needed to be ground down ALOT. I could get away with that because on a full framed car, the bottom of the quarter panel is not structural.

On YOUR car however, you are playing with the vehicles factory engineered strength points and crumple zones. Any area with less than adaquete penetration is not structurally sound. Add to that the 22 guage and being inexperienced, you have a huge chance for burnbacks. If you experience that down by the rocker and your pillars...sure, you might be able to fill them in with welding wire, but are you sure the weld is strong enough?

And you still have to make sure the quarter paner lines up everywhere...

Good luck brother.