1.5 vs1.6pros/cons? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2002, 06:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 1.5 vs1.6pros/cons?

okay!first i'll fess up.i installed 1.6 roller rockers on my chevy 357[.40 over?]why?biggers better?,idont know why except thought it might give more ummph!but does it?jimm

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2002, 01:43 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Talking

jimm,

the higher ratio rockers will give you a bit more lift but, you may not notice it until you get into a higher revs/higher flow situation.

JB
Old 03-25-2002, 05:13 PM

johhnymopar!thanks,just wondering if the extra lift can also help in the low end to some degree?,and what difference to the overall torque/h.p. figures they would make percentage wise?i know this is a broad band here but just curious if someone has some ballpark figures.

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: jimm ]</p>
Old 04-01-2002, 04:43 PM

Be Carful!ON pontaic's you can't just stick 1.6
in where 1.5 were, to much angle and holes in head do not accomadate angle without work before hand. Don't know about chevy's for sure . Ron
where are you?Bet he knows.Look forward to following this
Old 04-02-2002, 01:17 PM

The larger ratio rocker will primarily affect the amount and not the timing of the valve opening. It will be noticeable at that crossover point where the lower lift rocker begins to suffer from lack of air volume. The larger valve opening allows for deeper breathing. Having said that, it acts like a cam with a longer duration, particularly on a motor which suffers from lack of good flow at higher rpms. I think you would get better hp from the larger rocker, but may not feel much at the lower end. Maybe some but not like at higher rpms. You can't just use them without doing the math however because some heads will not support the added lift for a cam sized to the max already for 1.5 rockers, so be careful.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:26 PM

f1rodder,howdy! ihear you, and the rest of you guys too!thanks.pontiacman,the rockers will clear on the 350 chevy,no sweat.the heads are gm stock castings with some valve/port/polish action, and should benefit from a little additional time to breathe.are they worth it?maybe to small a difference to matter,jimm
Old 04-04-2002, 09:20 AM

Jim: if you are asking if you should port your heads, you need to tell us what heads you have. For instance, if you were to port GM fast burn aluminum or L31 Vortec heads, you would acutally hurt the flow....
Old 04-05-2002, 05:49 PM

f1rodder,howdy!, the heads are gm castings w/155cc runners ,76cc chambers,gasket match intake and ehaust with add'l porting and polishing on the exhaust.the cam is neither wild nor mild [226/234@.050,480/498 lift].am i correct in my thinking that 1.6vs1.5 will yield approx. .030 more lift? also what is the math?as you put it, regarding use of one ratio vs another? thanks a million,jimm
Old 04-30-2004, 04:51 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

take your cams advertised lift 480, devide it by 1.5, that leaves you with cam lift. multiply that by 1.6. done with my 469 lift comp cam if i use 1.6's my lift will be 500
Old 04-30-2004, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

480/1.5=320, 320 X 1.6 = 512

498/1.5=332, 332 X 1.6 = 531

One thing I didn't see mentioned above is you need to make sure your springs can handle the added lift. Coil bind will ruin your day and your cam. Since it is a 350 Chevy I doubt you will have any valve to piston clearance problems. I also agree 1.6 rocker will not help low end (if anything it might slightly suffer), you basically just put a larger cam in the engine by switching to the higher ratio rockers. I run 1.6's on my set-up but it was built with that in mind. If they are going to help it is going to be in the mid to upper rpm range.

Remember to check for coill bind on the inner and outer spring as well and the dampener. Also check for retainer to guide clearance.

Royce
Old 05-02-2004, 03:19 PM

Last journal entry: nova
Last photo:

I know a friend that has 1.5, and 1.6 on his 350sb,but im not sure if the 1.5 are on the intake ,or exhaust.. will this help horse power???
Old 05-02-2004, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

Typically the exhaust port on SBC heads are the weak spot, so it in normal to see people run 1.6 on the exhaust side and 1.5 on the intake. This is to help get more flow out of the exhaust. This serves the same purpose as a split pattern cam (more exhaust lift and/or duration). It can help power output IF the exhaust port is the bottle neck. It really depends on the combination of which works best. Sometimes trial and error are the only way to see what works and what doesn't.

Royce

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.