Hot Rod Forum banner

1.6 Ratio Rocker Experience?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  chevellesrule71 
#1 ·
Just had my 64cc camel hump heads rebuilt. Need to replace the rocker arms. I'm thinking of using 1.6 ratio arms. The cam has a few miles on it and is pretty much stock for my 67' 327sbc. Basically stock springs were used.

What do I need to look out for? What is spring bind? How do I check it?

It sounds like a cheap and easy performance boost. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Thanks,
Jim

#2 ·
I don't think that you will find much improvement in performance with 1.6 rockers on a stock cam. The pushrod holes in the heads will probably need to be enlarged for the relocated pushrod location on the rockers, too. Your best bet is to invest in a good performance cam, lifters and springs that are compatible with your stock 1.5 rockers.

#4 ·
I would never re-use an old cam and lifters. After the miles that thing has on it, it is probably much flatter than it was originally.

If you want the effect of 1:6 rockers, just buy a cam with the performance you want and save the money.

#7 ·
i run them but dont know if they make much dif. the stamped steel kind dont require any mods, but i've always run taller covers too, tho. like the roller aspect and more lift w/ less cam. i would change the cam/lifters/springs too just for g.p. but then you can pick a cam with whatever lift you want. i think they are great to get more lift from a stock cam set up on the cheap.

#8 ·
The engine is still in the car. I didn't mean to imply that the cam was the original unit only that it wasn't too radical. I didn't plan on changing the cam right now but maybe it's worth checking. Whats the best way to check for lobe wear? which lobes are more apt to die first. The car is basically a cruiser, but hey, if I can get a little free grunt for almost no extra money, why not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.