1.6 roller rocker hitting stud vortec - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

yeah I think I got em from this guy or the other skip white. I got these almost two years ago, figured I'd give em a try, I haven't heard anything bad about these ones. but I guess time will tell.
SBC 1 6 7 16 SS Stainless Roller Rockers with Poly Locks WPM RS 004 | eBay

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 08:01 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
ok, see I originally had screw in studs that were for guide plates, quickly found out they weren't gonna work, and found studs that were fully threaded under the hex. So really I need shoulderless studs? How would you torque those? I'run a nut to till it bottoms out then torque it?
If you plan on using a stud like this DO NOT torque it down to the normal 55ft lbs! You will split the stud boss......I guarantee it! I would rather have my pressed in studs pinned then usethisgarbage. If you are going to use these studs I would seriously suggest just to snug then up and then pin them with a 5/32 roll pin. Seal them up with a good thread sealer (not loctite, the **** don't work, I guess maybe in a lab where every single thing is perfect)

Again if you torque them studs I guarantee you won't like the results. And leave the loctite at the store.
Attached Images

Last edited by crussell85; 03-19-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: forgot the picture
Old 03-19-2014, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

crussell, are you referring the the fully threaded hex stud? or the shoulderless studs?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

I'm referring to these ones.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

I'm referring to the ones you are calling shoulder less. I look at these studs as a quick way to repair a pressed in stud that has been pulled from the engine. What you are wanting to use them for is a crutch and a cheap way out. Do it right or just don't do it. Comp cams sells a stud boss cutter for doing this. With careful setup and execution they can be milled at home preferably in a drill press.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

I appreciate the input, A. I am actually looking right now for 7/16 7/16 shoulderless studs, can't find any. I wouldn't be afraid of running them to be honest. Anything is better than the pressed in studs. Sure will some of these crack possibly, I wouldn't doubt it, anything is possible. I don't see how cutting a boss and then torquing a hex head is gonna have any better chance of not cracking a boss. I'm open to that can of worms, I'v done neither but neither seem to scare me. Yes I'm trying to keep costs down where I can and spend as much as I can on more critical stuff than others.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 AM

Last photo:

A standard screw in studs has a base to firmly press against the top of the stud boss. The shoulder less ones don't. When I said to mill the stud boss it was to allow you to run the current studs you have.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

well either way I gotta spend more money which I just hardly have right now. They don't seem to make a non shouldered 7/16-7/16 stud. That would let me keep it moving on the cheap, but thats not an option. So I'm gonna call the only machine shop I know and get a price, and or just buy the tool and do it myself so I can use the studs and rockers I have. I have 2 more sets of these heads, so I don't mind having the tools to do this stuff myself.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

Dorman Double-Ended Studs 675-042 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing I'm not saying these studs will work I'm just throwing these out there for an example. They are just a universal grade 8 stud. If you spend some time at a real parts store (Napa, auto value) flipping through catalogs you should be able to find a stud that'll work. I would still suggest doing it the right way by milling the stud boss.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:23 AM
More for Less Racer

The Comp Cams boss cutter is around $73 at Summit and in stock. Will be most of that cost just having one set done at a shop.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

thanks guys, wow I searched all over summit and I'm a good searcher I feel, you def beat me on that. Glad to find that, but sux they sell in sets of 10. Still pretty cheap. I'd like to get tool since I have other heads, and I'v actually been looking for a drill press. I'd like an old delta or something good and old, not this new garbage. But that requires money and right now I'v struggling trying to finish this engine and finish my project, unfortunately every penny counts. I don't wanna skimp anything though, so we'll see how it goes. I appreciate the input guys.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
thanks guys, wow I searched all over summit and I'm a good searcher I feel, you def beat me on that. Glad to find that, but sux they sell in sets of 10. Still pretty cheap. I'd like to get tool since I have other heads, and I'v actually been looking for a drill press. I'd like an old delta or something good and old, not this new garbage. But that requires money and right now I'v struggling trying to finish this engine and finish my project, unfortunately every penny counts. I don't wanna skimp anything though, so we'll see how it goes. I appreciate the input guys.
If you work carefully this can be done with the tool and a hand held electric drill. The tool pilots in the boss so you get a pretty decent basic alignment that cuts the boss square to the hole such that the hex seats across all the available area. Height wise this needs to be pretty close but we're not talking holding thousanths of an inch here. A drill press is nice, a milling machine better, but if you're willing to take your time and pay attention to what you're doing you can do this yourself.

Figure the tool will cost about 75 bucks and a lot of time and a darn good electric dill if you don't have one. Getting a decent drill press will set you back 3-4 hundred bucks and that's probably a Harbor Freight cost, don't worry about name brands they get theirs in China too they just charge more. A shop with all the right equipment would charge about 200 dollars, maybe less since they don't have to pull the old studs out and you don't risk the heads to your abilities as a machinest.

I'm still up in the air about how you guide the push rods, question is do the heads you're using have the factory lozenge shaped guide in the casting?

Or are you using self guiding rockers?

Or are you using guide plates that fit under the stud hex?

This has to be worked out before you start cutting on the heads.

Bogie
Old 03-20-2014, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

bogie, I'm using self aligning rockers, I opened up the pushrod hole with .5" drill bit for the 1.6 ratio rockers. I'll prolly try and get the tool and a CL drillpress, I find them almost every week, just been broke lately. As I said, I have more of these heads that will go on some future builds so really I like doing what I can in house and save costs where they can. thanks for the comments and suggestions guys.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:46 PM

Last photo:

please delete

Last edited by Hogg; 03-22-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:18 PM

while were on the subject oes anyone remember a tool from the 70's and 80's that was use to cut the stud bosses down with a 1/2" drill. What was different about this tool was it piloted off the old pressed in stud. I want to think it was adjustable to where that once it was set the top of the stud bottomed out in the tool when the boss was cut to the correct height. An added advantage was that once the boss was cut the ol stud was easier to pull. Anybody remember this? is this tool still available anywhere?

Tags
1.6 rockers, vortec

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.