1 "better" gun vs. 2 "cheap" guns? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2005, 10:43 AM
More rust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1 "better" gun vs. 2 "cheap" guns?

Hello, I'm planning on purchasing my paint gun(s) in the next couple days, and have recieved some conflicting advice concerning buying 1 good gun as opposed to to cheap guns. I'll be spraying Southern Poly. BC/CC (black), 2K primer, and epoxy primer, and was going to shoot on the interior paneling a coat of ZeroRust.

Now, on EBay I can get a DeVilbiss Finishline III, for $110-190, depending how many tips I end up needing. The only issue is if I spend that much on the gun, all the materials are gonna need sprayed outta the same gun. If I went with a cheaper gun, like the Harbor Freight HVLPs, etc., I could get a BC/CC gun and a primer gun, but do they lay down as nice a finish for a beginner? How many tip sizes are really needed to spray those 5 things properly?

Be forewarned, I'll be coming with paint questions shortly, not sure which clear I need along with the SP base (they make like 4).

Advertisement

Last edited by nosaj122081; 04-10-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2005, 02:29 PM

If you're only going to use the guns for a couple of projects , you can get away with the cheap ones. The problem with those guns are that alot of the internal parts tend to be plastic , so if you use them often they require frequent rebuilds. Have you considered getting a good quality gun to use for your base/clear and a cheapie for primer? Since you're going to be sanding your primer , the quality of the finish isn't going to be critical . Also with two guns you will have your different tip sizes for primer and topcoat.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Last photo:

Again, I have had excellent results from my HF HVLP guns. There are NO plastic parts in those guns, all stainless and brass. If I were you I would go with a HF HVLP gun and practice with it. If you do not think it is good enough you can use it for primer and then buy the name brand gun for your base and clear application. Try the HF gun, you will be suprised, if you are not then you are only out $29.

Vince
Old 04-10-2005, 03:55 PM
More rust

Last photo:

Hi, thanks for the advice... I've looked at HF, I see loads of guns offered. Know which you had good luck with?
Old 04-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

The tried and true "Purple HVLP". #43430
It really is a good gun for the $$$.
As for a primer gun,one of their syphon guns is the ticket too. Just pick which you like,HVLP or convential PSI. They usually have a large enough tip to shoot most any primer.Get them on sale and walk out with both for under a hundred.
A 2.0 is standard for priming but a 1.7 is cool.
1.4 is the tip size for base & clear.
IF you do get the purple gun,pick up the larger aluminum cup for it. A really nice upgrade from the POS plastic one it comes with.

The DeVill. is a great gun for the money as well and it use's a "bag" feed set-up which use's a qt. ziploc bag in the cup.VERY convient when having only one gun and not having to clean the whole thing to switch to clear after the base.
It was the first "good" gun I bought and it still performs great.
I use the "Purple" gun for my clear right now,untill I save enough up for a LPH-400 Iwatta.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Last photo:

43430 are the ones I have, great gun for the money.

Vince
Old 04-11-2005, 08:42 PM
More rust

Last photo:

Ok, the 43430 are on special now for like $40, so I'll be getting one of those for a finish gun... Now, for a regular build 2K primer and epoxy (Southern Polyurethane, they don't specify in their tech sheet), should I get another gun with the 1.4 tip, or would something like their el cheapo HVLP siphon gun with a 1.8 be better? (I'm buyin' all sorts of stuff, just trying to get everything at once to save on shipping... Gettin' a grinder, some plastic media, and a hammer and dolly set)
Old 04-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Last photo:

I think the siphon gun with the 1.8 tip would be about perfect. While the 1.4 tip will spray primer, it degrades pretty quickly.

Vince
Old 04-12-2005, 04:21 PM

does anyone have any info on different tips for these guns. they don;t seemt o be useful if you need a larger tip.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Get some of the screw on inline air filters. The white one's in the 2 pack. Cheap insurance against trash and they will stop some water.
A true 3/8" I.D. hose and 3/8 fittings which you may have to make up yourself if it's cheaper.
Some nitrile gloves.
The GOOD,charchole filter dual cartridge respirator and some extra cartridges.
Couple pair of cheapo saftey glasses.
A Tyvec paint suite,If they have them?
Shall I keep going??

Get some of the cut off disk's instead of the regular fiber grinding one's. They are much better at grinding than the regular one's & cheaper. Assuming you get the 4 1/2" grinder?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhX
does anyone have any info on different tips for these guns. they don;t seemt o be useful if you need a larger tip.
The only other tip for that gun is the 2.2mm, which is too big for just about anything except latex paint.

Vince
Old 04-12-2005, 09:48 PM
More rust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee4Me
Get some of the screw on inline air filters. The white one's in the 2 pack. Cheap insurance against trash and they will stop some water.
A true 3/8" I.D. hose and 3/8 fittings which you may have to make up yourself if it's cheaper.
Some nitrile gloves.
The GOOD,charchole filter dual cartridge respirator and some extra cartridges.
Couple pair of cheapo saftey glasses.
A Tyvec paint suite,If they have them?
Shall I keep going??

Get some of the cut off disk's instead of the regular fiber grinding one's. They are much better at grinding than the regular one's & cheaper. Assuming you get the 4 1/2" grinder?
Thanks for the tips... The air line I have is all 3/8", and before my Dad retired he was a asbestos project manager for the power company, so I've got a stack of safety suits and glasses. I got myself a good resperator but no replacement cartridges. So are the air filters you're talking about just a universal type deal the screws on the air inlet between the gun and the hose?

Yes, I'm getting a 4 1/2" grinder... So the cut off discs grind as well if not better than the grinders? Thats great if they do, they're like 5 bucks per pack cheaper.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Yes. The throw away ones. They have a dessicant type which is a great filter if your air supply is less than clean. I use one on my base & clear guns.

I've been using the cut off's for awhile now. You can cut,grind,sand with one wheel. Really nice when doing welds and they will "flex" some too. Just don't use too much downforce as they will break.

Might get some more air chuck ends in male & female pipe thread,Industrial is the popular type. Can't have enough of those. Seems you have a male and always needing a female......
End that is.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:08 AM

Well, the HF gun is a waste of time. I wanted the HF gun for priming and was going to buy the devilbiss for finish. 1.4 will not work for the high build prime sif you can not get otehr tips. why they do that makes no sense.

Anyone use these guns? Nrothern tool sells them also
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...371652194&rd=1
Old 04-13-2005, 10:23 AM

hi guys great site i was wondering about those guns from nothern also are they any good or a waste of money

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.