1 car garage "Paint Booth"? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012, 06:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1 car garage "Paint Booth"?

I don't have a ton of room, but enough. I have my air compressor in a small room outside, but attached to my garage. Any suggestions how to run my air hose over the top of my car or trk to be painted with hooks or have different hook up stations to grab air from? Just looking for new and maybe better ideas, thanks Dana

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 06:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39chevy View Post
I don't have a ton of room, but enough. I have my air compressor in a small room outside, but attached to my garage. Any suggestions how to run my air hose over the top of my car or trk to be painted with hooks or have different hook up stations to grab air from? Just looking for new and maybe better ideas, thanks Dana
i had the same problem in my garage about dragging the hose around so i rigged up a second outlet on the opposite side of the car and hung another air hose up on a hook which was easy to grab and connect to the gun in a couple of secs. When i sprayed the roof i started at the drip rail moving into the centre, unclipped hose from the gun, walked around the other side , clipped onto the second air line and then started from the centre and pulled back to the drip rail. For ventilation i had taped about a foot of flywire mesh to the bottom of the roller door and used some weights on it so with the small rear door of the garage fitted with a large exhaust fan and the roller door about a foot off the concrete i managed a good result. I also had flood lights at ground level and flouros over to cover all angles. I sprayed at 22 degrees. I also used two compressors in tandem to decrease the amount of condensed water and have plenty of air in reserve. I also sprayed out the garage with insecticide prior. I bought a good twin cartridge mask also.
I think that covers it. ( masking tape around top of gun pot to stop any drips)
Cheers, goodluck, ignore distractions once you have started.( I used a timer also for flashover times.)
Al.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:03 AM

Last photo:

THANKS for all suggestions and info.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

I will throw a couple more ideas for dust control, if you want to go this far.

Before getting ready to paint, blow the garage completely out, with a fan running to move the dusty air out. Do it a couple times.

If you are spraying a verey light color with a clear coat... you may see a lot more contamination in the clear, than you do on medium or dark colors... or metallics. That means yuo might need a bigger effort to eliminate the dirt.

If you want to make that effort... buy an arm load of 1 mil drop clothes... staple them across the ceiling, and down the walls. If you don't want to mess up the walls, you can lay some 2X4s on the floor, and staple the drop cloth bottoms to them.

before painting, wet the floor really well... then blow the walls off a couple times. Give it a minute to settle onto the wet floor, or be pulled out by the fan. Now tack the car really well, and then spray.

If you still get a little dust in the paint, plan on a light scuff and buff to get rid of them.

Rock on! :-)
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

I agree totally with what Tucson J has just posted. I like the idea of catching the dust on the walls using drop cloths.
I would definitely do the floor prep as posted.
Cheers
Al.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 PM

Last journal entry: Project 92' Eddie
Last photo:

heres what I do

If your not worried about looks dont stain the wood, but I made a 12' x 21' rectangle on the ceiling with 2x4s. I stained them because I only paint once or twice a year and I can quickly assemble or dissassemble the booth in about 45 min or so. I have the same set up thats on the ceiling on the floor with a couple of screws at each corner so that if you kick it, it wont move. Then use 2x4s as uprights in each corner, I labeled each 2x4 for the corner it fits snug in then a couple screws to make sure it doesnt fall on your project. then get wild with the thickest plastic you can find at the hardware store. the thin stuff pulls off the staples waay to easily. Ill take some more pics when its completely assembled but heres one pic of the ceiling. I have a sparkless fan that I set up facing out the window and on the side that I took the picture from I built a frame to hold 3 furnace filters next to eachother and sealed the edges with duct tape to let fresh air in without dust dirt and bugs. This way I can keep my other garage door open to let the fresh air in and it gets evacuated out the window via the fan. One other things I like to do is lay plastic down on the floor also then I get some big pieces of cardboard (4' x 4') from shipments that come in on pallets at work ( do some dumpster diving at any place that ger there stuff on pallets. Lay that over the plastic and then before you pull the vehicle in, mist some water on the "cardboard" floor. Just get it damp no need for puddles. I painted a miata quarter last year and it turned out great . all in all it cost me about 125 with lumber and stain. If you have wood lying around it could basically be done for 50 bucks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paintbooth1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	66517  
Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

Got some good ideas there. Do you tack plastic on the top ceiling frame before you do the sides. Have you some pics of your ventilation filters and fans. You could market that as a diy home spray booth kit.
Al.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

I didnt use plastic across the ceiling at all. The garage was not yet mudded/taped or painted. It was a bright blue I used and I didnt have any traces of paint on the ceiling. When I paint my bronco I will mask the ceiling since its black and ill be spraying a lot more fluid than the miata I fixed. Here are some pics i dug up

Note the waring on my booth door, I had to keep my girlfriend out, shes a little clumsy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	booth1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	66518   Click image for larger version

Name:	booth2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	66519   Click image for larger version

Name:	booth3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	66520   Click image for larger version

Name:	booth4.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	66521   Click image for larger version

Name:	booth5.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	66522  

Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Nice convertible there in the pic. Glad you kept "intruders out"
Did you end up with any dust in your paint after setting everything as airtight as your pics show.?
When i did my Mustang i didnt use two pack BC/CC . I used acrylic for an original finish and rubbed back to clear dust etc out before my clear coats went on. I left two days before the clear coats went on. A lot more work than two pack but the end result was good.
Al
Old 07-02-2012, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the compliment, she looks good from 10 feet back but has a few flaws up close. I had zero dust or dirt in the paint. Nor a bug Between coats I would only use a tack cloth. Heres a couple pics, I didnt even wet sand or buff believe it or not. I had no orange peel at all. The only problem I had was the panel I painted looked waaay better than the rest of the car!!! I shot it all with a Devilbiss
FL3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	miataoutside2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	66524   Click image for larger version

Name:	miata1stbase.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	66525  
Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

Yeah your job looks good. If you have zero dust then i may have to copy your booth setup. I repaired a suzuki GSXR 1000 last week and used two pack Bc/ Cc on it. The finish laid down flat like you did with your Devilbiss, but i ended up with some annoying minute dust in it. I use an Anest Iwata w400.The owner didnt seem to mind as i saved him heaps on a bodywork quote. Ended up doing his other side as well because the factory paint was slightly orange peel. Next time i will aim for no dust with plastic.
Al
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5300199.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	798.1 KB
ID:	66526   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5300197.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	806.3 KB
ID:	66527  
Old 07-04-2012, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

That Suzuki fairing looks like it turned out great. I was very particular on cleaning everything as I go and im a little anal about cleaning my entire garage all the time. I didnt set my booth up until all the bodywork was done, that way I could clean the entire garage then put the booth up to have a "fresh" booth with very little dust to begin with. One mistake I did make was I used plasticright up to the area that I was painting.. well when I sprayed the second coat of color the air pressure from the gun vibrated/shook/moved the plastic and the over spray that was on the plastic from the first coat shot a bunch of blue "paint chunks" into the air. I got fairly lucky as only 4 or so landed in the fresh paint. I lightly sanded them out with 600 and did two more coats of base and it came out perfect. From now on i will use paper as much as I can because the paint products will soak into the paper a little bit and they wont blow off. Im no pro but I do know that cleanliness is next to godliness when it comes to painting.

Also when I pulled the car in, since i had to open the garage door i let the "dust" settle for an hour or more before I shot anything, oh and clean anything abouve the car before you pull it in ( garge openers, tracks, lights,ect) From my expierence I spent 20 hours cleaning and taping, and 30 minutes painting. The rest of the car had the factory orange peel and the area i shot had none, so i left it.

Last edited by Mach1460; 07-04-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.