Hot Rod Forum banner

1 Car Garage (Paint and sand bLAST) help!

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jaguarxk120 
#1 ·
I HAVE A SEPERATE 1 CAR GARAGE i HAVE JUST RUN 220 AND ALL MY 110V OUTLETS ETC, GOOD LIGHTING ETC. My question: I need suggestions on best way to circulate air for painting etc, and when I start sand blasting, I will be sweeping up my media and sifting back in again! Also I have gas for heat, what is the best and cheapest type furnace etc, installed higher the better? You get the picture, Design it your way and let me know your suggestions, Thanks, Dana!

#2 ·
If you are going to sandblast in your garage, it's going to be a mess!
Maybe put up some poly and TRY to seal in the mass quantities of dust...

for painting you either need extreme filtering and lots of air movement or no air movement. I went with no air movement. worked pretty well.

#3 ·
No doubt about it the garage will be a mess and the sand will get into every crack, crevice and EVERYTHING in there! Also DON'T use sand to blast your sheetmetal parts unless you are a real pro with a lot of blasting experience, even pros sometimes ruin body parts with sand.

#4 ·
I don't sandblast often, but when I do, I take all the stuff to the middle of the lawn. Usually nothing major in blasting just cleaning up some small parts. All the sand and rust falls right on the ground into the grass. Have to move around to avoid making small hills of sand though. Wear a mask and face sheild when blasting. And for the cost of the sand it's not worth it to try and sweep it up. If you doing many parts on a continuning basis then build or get a cabinet.

#5 · (Edited)
I will fix a place outside to do any blasting that I do..for big stuff like a whole tub or chassis I send that out..What i will plan to do is to use an upflow furnace in the new garage with a summer fan feature and place the ducts in the ceiling and then place the exhaust down at the floor level..that will give me a downdraft booth in the garage which will help to get the dust out..dust is heavier than air so it goes to the floor in a downdraft booth..I will probably place another fan on the exhaust side to help with airflow..

Update..i found several suitable furnaces on craigslist for reasonable...

Sam

#6 ·
oldred said:
No doubt about it the garage will be a mess and the sand will get into every crack, crevice and EVERYTHING in there!
Been there done that! Cleaned up some rust on my Miata trunk. Even with everything stripped out of the car sand got every where. I vacuumed till I thought it was clean and still sand is comming from somewhere. I did all this work in the side drive, I wonder where the sand could have gone in the garage. Many places where sand is not friendly, electric tools, spray equipment, and the worst of all into the house!

#8 ·
I was just going to say the same as vince about not sand blasting in the same place I planned to paint, the sand will get everywhere.
I only have a 1 stall garage to paint in, and when I was doing side jobs, was forced to do bodywork where I paint. It takes a while when I am finally ready to paint, to clear out the garage and clean up and hose down all the body dust. I'd consider finishing off the garage if not done so far, with something that would be easy to hose clean before paint. I have open studs and rafters in my garage but since I rent, thats how it stays.
Also have to make sure your safe with any heat source. If you have a heater, its really best to have it in a seperate room from the painting area, and vented in.

#9 ·
Blasting

I have to go along with the other who said do not sandblast and paint in the same space.
I carry it one step farther and I do not DA any paint in the garage. With all the silocone based polishes, and lubricants around these days I found that I could contaminate the whole damned garage with silicone, and then have it haunt me for months.
The sandblasting will haunt you forever!
As for the heat source .....call a couple of heating and air companies...see what the pro's recomend...then work on being inventive to do it cheaper. That way you atleast learn how to NOT blow yourself up or have furnace fumes and exhaust contaminate the area which is fun as well.

#13 ·
For a Fresh Air Supply check with Eastwood, they carry hobbyair units. It is a air pump with no oils in the air supply, filtered and a mask to wear. The draw back is your tied to the air pump by a long hose, but your breathing filtered air. Note this is not the same as the filter mask you use when painting. As it
will not take out the VOC's. The way to use the system is to take the pump/filter unit out of the painting area (outside) so it can draw fresh air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.