1 dim headlight - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 03:18 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1 dim headlight

about a week ago i put in new sylvania halogens on my 70 elky. i wired up new headlight connections as well. everything works but when i turn on the brights the low beam on the passenger side goes dim. i checked the ground, connections and wires its all good. i dont have any over heating of wires (that i can see or smell). im thinking its due to them using more power and since the passenger side is run off the driver side after the splitting of power its just not enough for the low bean to stay fully lit. but im not sure. would a relay be in need here???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2007, 04:46 PM

Check your grounds..........most likely got a loose one that causes a voltage drop under higher current.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

happened to me, on my Falcon. couldn't figure it out. the ground for the drivers side was grounded on the volt regulator, which I replaced, and left that ground loose, tightened it, and it went bright
Old 09-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

If your grounds check out, check to be sure the High Tab on the right lamp is the same as the high tab on the left side..you'll need a jumper to test with..you may have a "Left High" and a Right Low" connected..

It will also be present in High beam..just the reverse..

IF not already, you should run relays and 10 gauge wires for this upgrade.

Doc
Old 09-04-2007, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

the grounds are as good as they can get. and it is wired the same as it was before i messed with anything i double and triple checked that. i have the correct lights i know this because i still have the boxes they came in. i kept them on the off chance i did happen to buy the wrong light. i was reading in the knowledge base that relays are a very good idea for this upgrade. i was wondering if i could do a bit of custom work with this. if i was to install relays for the headlights could i run 2 toggle switches??? one for the low beam and a second for the high or one toggle switch that works them both??? i ask this because im going for a totally custom look inside ive got a plane for the dash and thats in the works right now. so is in possible to run the lights off of toggle switch(es) by way of the relays???
Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Might check this
Years ago when I replaced a lamp on my 79 chev 1/2, took a while to figure out why it was dim.
Still a relatively new truck, so I was pretty sure it was not a ground or wiring issue with the body.

Seems the original lamps had longer 'nipples' where the electrical tabs were mounted on the original lamps. The new lamps had shorter ones.
This was just enough to keep the lamp connector from seating all the way onto the lamp.

The connector had a shroud that covered part of the lamp on the back, and I ended up having to trim the shroud to get the connector to go on all the way.

other than that---bad ground

If I am not mistaken----the lamps on each side of that car have separate grounds---could be screwed to either side of the core support.

Bryan
Old 09-05-2007, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
Might check this
Years ago when I replaced a lamp on my 79 chev 1/2, took a while to figure out why it was dim.
Still a relatively new truck, so I was pretty sure it was not a ground or wiring issue with the body.

Seems the original lamps had longer 'nipples' where the electrical tabs were mounted on the original lamps. The new lamps had shorter ones.
This was just enough to keep the lamp connector from seating all the way onto the lamp.

The connector had a shroud that covered part of the lamp on the back, and I ended up having to trim the shroud to get the connector to go on all the way.

other than that---bad ground

If I am not mistaken----the lamps on each side of that car have separate grounds---could be screwed to either side of the core support.

Bryan
ill have to look at the connection it just might not be connected all the way coz i had that problem but i tried to make sure they are all on good.

but the passenger low beam only goes dim when the high beams are on. the highs are fully lit and the drivers low is fully lit its just the passenger low beam is dim with the highs on. when the highs are off its fully lit.

and this is a 4 headlight system just to let you know if you didnt already

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.