Hot Rod Forum banner

1 inch carb spacer

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  adryan16 
#1 ·
I put a 1 inch carb spacer on tonight. The main reason is to help disapate the heat from the manifold to the carb. The car seems to run fine with the spacer. But I noticed it seem as though it might have lost a little of the bottom end when cruising. When I stomp on it from a light it seems great. I have read a lot of the articles on carb spacers. I would like some feedback on people who recently installed a carb spacer on a small block chevy with 600 Edlebrock Carb. What was your experience......??? Thanks.....

#3 ·
I agree with 68nova.

I used a 2" spacer on my engine . It was a four hole spacer . I connected the two holes on each side ,so now it still has a divider in the center but is oppened up on each side for better breating. It seems to work pretty good. I got the idea from shoping for spacers. I came across some pretty expensive spacers that had this design.

#5 ·
Do you have a dual plane manifold, or a single plane? I have a nova w/ a 350, and when I had a dual plane Weiand, I put an open spacer, and noticed that it just didn't perform the same. Did some studying and found that for best results, you should use the four hole spacers on a dual plane, not an open spacer; you use those on single planes. Hope that helps a bit.

#6 ·
Hello black66,

I have a dual plane manifold and a Holly 600 cfm. I just installed an open spacer and noticed that the mixture leaned out and I lost some low end snap. I changed it out with a 4 hole. The snap is back and the mixture is almost back to normal.

With the open spacer, I was going to have to go up a jet size or two. The 4 hole seems to have a stronger signal at low RPM and I just adjusted the idle mixture.

Tom

#7 ·
I'll try to explain this a good as I can, but if you had a 4 hole spacer on a dual plane manifold, and you wanted to divide the spacer into 2 ovals instead (maching out two of the walls of the spacer) , would you divide it so that the primaries and secondaries are separated, or so that theres one primary and secondary on each side?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.