The #1 Thing YOU Can Do to Improve the Lounge - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Get out the ducktape...

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Front brakes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I agree with you Jon that the "no topic" and such threads cant be our sustenance. That demeans the whole purpose of this website. You have done an outstanding job of collecting and organizing a lifetime's worth of knowledge about the hotrodding world. My thing is that when I come on here I usually, sometimes I do, but usually don't go into the tech forums and just read. I look at it like a book. It may again just be me but I don't take repair manuals and just read them. I go to them when I am stumped or need advice. The same goes on here, when I have a problem I go to a tech forum and get an answer. However, hotrodding is a very big part of my life and I like to be in that atmosphere even when I don't have a question. The lounge is a great idea and I will not dispute that it needs moderation like all other aspects of this site. The lounge could probably stand some more informative talk sometimes and I have noticed that several threads in the last few days have been about new cars coming out and such. I just think that we need something atleast like "no topic" to spend some of our time in. I enjoy hearing about other people's lives, their mishaps and bad days. It's all a part of the hotrodding lifestyle.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 03:10 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I wasn't a big fan of No Topic but I know alot of people enjoyed it, Jon do you think it would have been possible to send the first several hundred pages to the dump and leave the last 3 up in the lounge, that way it would still be there but it would be small, easier to moderate, and less of an eye sore. The same could go for the Word Association thread.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Quote:
Originally posted by chevelle_502
hotrodding is a very big part of my life and I like to be in that atmosphere even when I don't have a question.
That is very well phrased. I imagine you probably speak for a lot of people when you say that. I'm going to borrow that one so I can bring it up in the Moderator forum.

Ghetto Jet -- yes, we could selectively Dump those threads. But I figured the best thing to do here was just to send them completely to the trash. I know they'll start up again eventually, but I wanted a clean start for now.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Let the wheels of life roll on

Last journal entry: donor truck for hot rod hellion
Last photo:

El Like-o Nada

but i can tuff it out.

i think.

hey jon, are you loosening up on the speech?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:10 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

i know i should say something but im not sure were to start, i think i'm right in the middle when it comes to the age groups i'm old enough to be most of these kids father but i think i get along with everyone pretty good and i enjoy the banter. i can relate to the other side too,this type of side taking happens at most cruises and car shows kids act like kids and the older generation shakes there heads .you know a lot of this friction is not necessarily the content that gets them its the in your face defiance that can really torque you off.

as far as going back to (the way it was) that ship has left the dock and its in everyones best interest that wants to hang around to take a step back swallow some pride and agree on a compromise. i don't think its unreasonable to let things stay as they are now for a few weeks and take a look at things then. i'll get off my soapbox now and i hope that i made sense.

rich.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:14 PM
A legend in my own mind

Last journal entry: 78 El Camino
Last photo:

Re: The #1 Thing YOU Can Do to Improve the Lounge

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon
The #1 Thing YOU Can Do to Improve the Lounge

Are you bored by loose "no topic" style threads in the Hotrodders' Lounge?

Do you want to see an end to drinking/drug threads?

Sick and tired of lewd and demeaning "babe" threads?

----

Do you want a Lounge filled with interesting discussions on hotrodding news and events, new advancements in racing and engineering, automotive history, and hot rod culture?

Or, do you want a Lounge filled with threads like "How many times did you pick your nose today?"

----

The solution is simple. Not easy, but simple. If you, like me, want a better Lounge, then I have 1 simple suggestion for you. Here it is:

Start high-quality threads in the Lounge. Find a news article related to hotrodding, and start a discussion about it. Are you involved in the engineering/racing fields? Post something of interest that relates to these professions. Or a discussion about a general engineering principle. Or find a "this day in automotive history" webpage, and post something from it. Or a story about your old-time hotrodding adventures, a lot of our younger members love hearing those. If just 10 members started threads like this like this, it would overpower all other discussion in the Lounge.

Want to see the Lounge improve? BE the improvement.

This thread is open for discussion.
I'm a member on a few message boards. The ones I enjoy the most are the ones that have forums like this Lounge where you can talk about anything you want. If you don't like some of the topics, you don't have too click on them. Some topics don't interest me, so I don't click on them, pretty simple, and works good.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:18 PM

helrazr3 -- I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Compromise. Balance. Everyone gives a little. We've previously been in a position where the older guys had to brave a loose internet environment, against their better wishes, and they've done it. Now it's time for the other side to bend a little too, just so we can have a *reasonable* environment.

z3pr -- if everyone agreed with you, my job would be easy.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:27 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Jon what set off the whole "time for a change" idea? Were people frequently complaining about how things were in the lounge?
Old 09-28-2004, 01:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

My observations are most problems in the lounge started when the dump was closed to replies. It was easy to ignore the dump if one decided to do so. My suggestions would be:
1. Open the dump to replies, topics for chat, fun stuff for some of the members like no topic, word association, etc, could be done there.
2. Move such topics to the dump, with the understanding that this is the proper place for such topics, no one should be offended if they know upfront where topics like this should be kept.
3.Give the dump 2 pages, when a topic hits page 3, it is gone forever.
4. Edit posts for content, name calling, flaming, curse words of an offensive nature, derogatory remarks about race, sex, origin are gone, perhaps the hijacking of threads also, maybe an automatic insertion of "edited for content".
5. Keep the lounge open to topics that are "real", I like to know of "news" that I may not hear of in my locale, links to interesting sites, interesting things happening in members' lives, and probabbly a 100 other topics I can't think of right now.
6. Politics, religion, subjects looking for an arguement, run them a few days and dump them.
I've been here for quite some time now, I've seen ups and downs on this site, There's a lot of down right now, change and acceptance of change is needed. This is Jon's place, we should respect that, I wouldn't go to his home and start painting the walls because I don't like the colors. I believe in Jon, he's shown wisdom beyond his years in the decisions he's made since this site was started. And like a lot of the older embers here, I'm tired of seeing the whining about his and the mods' decisions. These decisions have been made to keep this place a desirable place for EVERYONE to visit, most of us "escape" when we come here, who wants to look at a bunch of quibbling, profanity, etc? My 2c worth. Dan And yes, I hate the new colors.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Be American, Buy American!

I have been around for a while and have seen this site a much better place to be than it is now. I come to the lounge for a few minutes every day to see if there is anything that sounds interesting enough to open. Most of it is not good reading material. I am open to good quality discussions but the language is most distasteful in the majority of the post so I go somewhere else. Most of us on this site are well educated and can only put up with a limited amount of low grade speech. I realize that we have some youngsters on here and they haven't had experiences such as some of us older folks have. The ages that are posted indicate that they are either still in or graduated from high school but reading their post ( some not all of them) sounds like uneducated kids.

I hope we can clean this site up at least a little bit.

Thanks Jon, you have and continue to be a great host on this board. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Al
Old 09-28-2004, 01:39 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

As far as "YOUR RIGHT TO USE CERTAIN WORDS." You dont have any rights beyond those which Jon allows you. He could with a few deft key strokes, bannish any one of His choosing and be done with it. he can allow what He wants. and yes, you can leave and go somewhere else, but know that you'll be leaving the best site to be a part of a site that isn't the best. your choice.

I've been around long enough to see things really change, and all i can say is, I wish some of the people who are here now would have been here back when i was in the planning and working stages of my truck, I would have done some things differently for sure.

I saw something really hot on the hotrod news link.
boy was she hot!
it involved my favourite anatomical part!!!!
Old 09-28-2004, 10:56 AM

Ghetto Jet -- member feedback, moderator input, and my decisions. Every once in a while, it really is time for a change.

Dinger -- a lot of what you're saying is points I made when we first started establishing and policing the Dump. I felt that if we eliminated the Dump, then the Lounge would degrade. It appears that this has happened, but I'm not convinced that we can go back now. I admit that trying to curtail the majority of junk talk around here is a big challenge, and it's also a big risk. We could alienate or aggravate many of our members. But we're going for it.

crazy larry -- sometimes I miss the "old" days. But, I agree with you -- we are smarter now. We have smarter folks, more collective experience, and better results. But it's hard to be smarter, and nicer too.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

As much as I like to go against the grain....I am behind you 100% Jon.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 09-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Microwaving kitties? bad!

Last photo:

You have a little something on your nose weimer...
Old 09-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Naw...It must have splashed off my boots when I took them off. Seems lately I have had to wear my rubber concrete boots when I come into the lounge. Its just time for me to get back to the roots of rodding. I mean after all THAT IS why we are here right? I don't know about you guys(and gals) but on my 'off' times I am still talking and thinking about hotrods. Yes, even at the bar(my garage)
Later,
WEIMER

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.