Hot Rod Forum banner

The #1 Thing YOU Can Do to Improve the Lounge

5K views 58 replies 22 participants last post by  38 special 
#1 · (Edited)
The #1 Thing YOU Can Do to Improve the Lounge

Are you bored by loose "no topic" style threads in the Hotrodders' Lounge?

Do you want to see an end to drinking/drug threads?

Sick and tired of lewd and demeaning "babe" threads?

----

Do you want a Lounge filled with interesting discussions on hotrodding news and events, new advancements in racing and engineering, automotive history, and hot rod culture?

Or, do you want a Lounge filled with threads like "How many times did you pick your nose today?"

----

The solution is simple. Not easy, but simple. If you, like me, want a better Lounge, then I have 1 simple suggestion for you. Here it is:

Start high-quality threads in the Lounge. Find a news article related to hotrodding, and start a discussion about it. Are you involved in the engineering/racing fields? Post something of interest that relates to these professions. Or a discussion about a general engineering principle. Or find a "this day in automotive history" webpage, and post something from it. Or a story about your old-time hotrodding adventures, a lot of our younger members love hearing those. If just 10 members started threads like this, it would overpower all other discussion in the Lounge.

Want to see the Lounge improve? BE the improvement.

This thread is open for discussion.

See less See more
#6 ·
I would love to see a lounge like the one that you described, but I would also like a place where I can gripe about something if need be, a place where I can get to know people from all over the country, a place that I like to come to because the people are great and the topic is interesting.

I agree with you that "no topic" wasn't always interesting or mentally stimulating, but that is why it was great! We could just chat with friends, make comments about our days, ask questions, whatever we felt like...in moderation.

The tech forums are great for getting questions answered if you have them, but in the lounge....conversations really center around a whole lot of nothing for the most part. Threads like, "what did you do this weekend" or the latest current event is what the majority of the lounge is.

#9 ·
bowtiebabe (just replied to your post in another thread too) -- I pretty much agree with all that you're saying. However, I can see the tech decline as a result of the increase in chattiness. I also want us to be UNIQUE! There are tons of places on the net where you can go and shoot the breeze. The younger members are attracted by a lax attitude, but the older members are repelled by it. It's tough to strike the proper balance.

The point you mentioned about things "in moderation" seems very accurate to me. I believe that we are no longer in moderation, and we need to take action to move back into balance.

bullheimer -- I agree that it is potentially confusing. I have just changed the Lounge description from "A place to hang out and discuss non-automotive stuff." to "A place to hang out and discuss non-tech stuff." This allows for automotive discussion of a non-specific technical nature. We can further clarify down the line, if necessary. Let me know if you get an idea as to how to better describe the similarity without confusion.

Ghetto Jet -- we'll start the bidding at 17 cents :D.

#10 ·
I'll bid a buck. ok...2 bucks.

Jon...I see where you are coming from and I know that a nice medium would be great, but really hard to achieve.
I support your efforts....

--

My mood has really changed in the last 1/2 hour...when my boss leaves for lunch, I am renewed and happy again. Sorry for the crabbiness, although I did mean what I said.

#11 ·
Sounds good to me

A happy medium should be possible to achieve.

Discussions of projects have always been popular in the lounge.

Check out Willys posts about the "Mysterion" " It's great. Shoot, I got the idea to do my instrument cluster bezel from that thread.
But a thread like "No Topic" is still a good idea because it's a place to just drop in and shoot the breeze.

BowTieBabe, I'm glad to see you reconsidered somewhat. Saves me having to write a rant :)

But I have to say, I agree with you, there needs to be a semi-continuing thread where the point is just to fun around. As far as "Soap Opera" is concerned, I must point out that "Soap Operas" are rarely as bizzarre as real life. This site and the lounge are a part of "Real Life" or we wouldn't be posting here.

(See My previous post on the "No Topic")

I don't think everyone wants to be "Straight Faced" ALL the time.

#12 ·
I think you're pretty much hitting the nail right on the head meanroy. Those "no topic" threads aren't so bad -- they're kinda fun, and they do take the edge off. I wouldn't mind seeing them pop up occasionally. It's just the over-abundance that gets to me. When we have a "no topic" thread dominating the Lounge, plus a similar "association thread", I figure it's time to close them up for a little while.

#13 ·
If you want to limit the boards to specific automotive discussion only - do so - it probably won't be recieved well by everyone, but since when can you please everyone.

I belong and have belonged to several boards - invariably, there are friendships made (net-friends, netships?) and people begin to open up more and discuss their 'real' lives. Once this occurs, the 'casual' boards begin to get much busier and the tech boards will slow down.

Another aspect of this, is the intimidation factor. No one wants to post something in a tech forum and get called out for saying something incorrect - but in an open forum, you can be free to post your opinions at will.

Finally, this being a hot rod site there is not going to be a real frequent development of new material. After all, what is the average time to finish a project car - few years to a decade sound about right....

The reason people come to this site to discuss politics, religion, drugs etc - is because they want to discuss these topics with the members of THIS board, whom they know, trust, like, dislike, whatever.

Why not have an experiment - make 2 new boards:
1. Car related non-tech only
and
2. PG off topic open discussion

See which one accumulates the most posts in 30 days.

Also, I don't see what the big deal is regarding off-topic posts - no one is forced to go into any board or any specific post. Are they agitated by the mere existence of these threads? Does the very sight of an OT thread threaten the very fabric of HR.com?

As a final note, if a thread is getting overly large - 10 or more pages - just lock it and delete any posts that are out of line with board standards.

#14 ·
Kudos Jon !

A thought just popped into my head (Talk about a needle in a haystack). Perhaps a compromise of sorts. (?) In "The Dump" pinned to the top (or bottom), an open thread or two perhaps to allow the "refuse" that is not desired in public view? You would have to be "in the know" to navigate to it, if you really felt the need. A little more lax in moderating (R) to satisfy the needs of some? Again, just 1 or 2 threads that could be added to. And you'd have to look to find it. This way no one sees it from casual viewing. Just a thought. Personally, I like what you have have done up until the Sway era. (not blaming her, just identifying the time frame) Its just a glitch. Glad to see we got "a patch"! :thumbup:

Jeff

#15 ·
Beenaway2long said:
Kudos Jon !

A thought just popped into my head (Talk about a needle in a haystack). Perhaps a compromise of sorts. (?) In "The Dump" pinned to the top (or bottom), an open thread or two perhaps to allow the "refuse" that is not desired in public view? You would have to be "in the know" to navigate to it, if you really felt the need. A little more lax in moderating (R) to satisfy the needs of some? Again, just 1 or 2 threads that could be added to. And you'd have to look to find it. This way no one sees it from casual viewing. Just a thought. Personally, I like what you have have done up until the Sway era. (not blaming her, just identifying the time frame) Its just a glitch. Glad to see we got "a patch"! :thumbup:

Jeff
I tend to agree except I think you will have to limit it to people with say 100 posts or so. (and not all trivial posts either. In addition, if anyone under 18 wants to read or post there they should have a specific ok from a parent or guardian. ( sorry '40 and the rest of you younger guys, but it's nearly like hanging out in a bar or a pool hall in a way.)
I suspect that this is not worth the trouble but it's an idea.

Roy.

#17 ·
paperairplane -- yes, you're right, a single "no topic" thread doesn't threaten the very fabric of space and time. But too many threads like that dilute our goal, and bring us down a notch.

Beenaway2long -- I see what you're saying about the Dump. When we first had the Dump, it was an open discussion forum, just like the Lounge, but with lower standards. Then, we decided to make it read-only (no new posting). Then, we made it so that only members with 10+ posts could see the Dump (no attracting new members based on our "Dump" content). We knew all along that as we sanctioned the Dump, the Lounge would decline in quality. Now we are at a crossroads. I believe the solution is not in loosening the Dump (a step backward), but in tightening the Lounge -- a step forward.

Thanks Nightfire. How about no junkers for one week, then some occasional "no topic" type threads now and then for fun?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.