1 ton dually suspension drop - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post 1 ton dually suspension drop

O.K. guys i have been looking for tech stuff to learn about this, i could use some advice. So if any of you want to help me learn about this we can do so here, or via e-mail. This is what i want to do , please tell me the best way to go about it.This is on my 48 Chev , and it has a 88 Chev suspension.
I want to drop the front 2" and drop the rear 4".
Do i, 1) Change the spindles? 2)Change the coil springs? 3)Do i have to replace the upper/lower control arms? 4)Do i have to change control arms to run air bags?5) Can i just change the lower arm with air bags? 6) What about the coil spring if i don`t do air bags?I see kits that appear to weld into the stock control arms for air bags.
There appears to be many ways to do this. I thought you had to replace all of the componets to do the drop, Chassis Tech says no.So what is the best way?
The rear appears to be a simple flip of the axle, add the mounts for the air bags.
I want to know if you have to have an on board compressor, or can you just fill them through a valve?
Please advise me. If you know of some good educational site i would appreciate it. This migt be a good topic for the knowledge base.
Thanks in advance.
Slider in Wa.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I recommend using an on-board compressor, with no leaks the only time it runs is when you want to play with it, and you can adjust on-the-go for load or ride feel.
With a true air bag suspension you will want to lose the leaf springs in the rear, they will render the airbag suspension parts ineffective.
The easiest front suspension drop with the least side effects is spindle replacement.
The best way to do a front suspension upgrade is lose the factory parts, this assures all new parts and you can get any suspension type with only a few changes.
I have seen a lower control arm with a bolt in insert that allows either a coil spring, air-bag, or some other type of insert to just be bolted in.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Thanks M+M, Keep it comimg guys. I need more!!!
Thanks, Any how to site know out there?
Slider in Wa.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:49 AM

if its a 88 chevy 1-ton suspension , check out kit # ARF5012 it comes with new lower arms and everything check it out on ridetech .com
Old 07-17-2003, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Slider............ First we need to determine exactly which chassis you have. In 88 GM produced two different chassis for the 1-tons. The most common chassis is the crew cab chassis which was still the square fender body style like the 81-87 1/2 tons. The second chassis was used on the standard and extended cab 1-tons and it used the 88-98 1/2 ton body style. They are completely different chassis all together, so the lowering components for one will not work on the other. Let me know what you have and I can help you determine what is available and the best route to go.

Tony...
Old 07-17-2003, 09:32 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

http://www.belltechcorp.com/pages/onetongm.htm

http://www.performancesuspension.com/trucklowering.htm

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.