Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1 wire or 3 wire alternator???
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman123
I'm curious about why the lights dim on older cars when you run a 1-wire alternator. I think I have heard the the alternator does not "kick in" until the engine speed hits a certain point, but after that isn't the output determined by the system voltage? Why would an older car get dim lights at low engine speeds if the regulator is working correctly?

Man I wish I had seen this thread before I rewired my V8-Sonoma!! I just got a '71 Nova project, and would like to simplify the wiring when I re-do it.

Docvet, I think you're right down the street from me. I live in WC!

Dave
Dave,

Yup, I'm over in Lafayette off Walnut and Mt Diablo (where the old Lafayette Gas used to be) all the way down that road, tucked away up on a private road bordering the mountain and creek..

Self excitation (sensing) is usually the culprit on your question..But I've only seen it a few times when the Alternator was at or below system demands..

Also SOME have nothing to do with the charging system at all, but bad grounds, bad wires, and failing diodes..(not all, but lots of thing can cause this, even a loose belt..)

Doc