Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1 wire or 3 wire alternator???
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 10:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

1 or 3 wire alternator

Great information. How about going a step farther. There are 100 amp, chrome, 3 wire alternators on ebay for around $75.00. they are listed as "GM" not Delco. Is this a desirable piece, or junk? how can I tell?
Fatrodder also lists a 21 circuit (more than I need) wiring harness for around $120.00. Is there a big difference between the quality of this system and a "name" brand? or is the "ease of installation/tech support" the difference?
Will I need to also purchase the terminal blocks/relays/fusible links etc. recommended in the articles no matter which harness I buy?
MADD electrical looks like a quality outfit, but what I saw were components, which would require me to design my own harness and order the parts. Over my head I'm afraid. I feel capable of following instructions and wiring the car, but maybe not up to adding relays and terminals blocks in the right places, or upgrading the wiring size for a backseat battery mount, without some very specific instructions. What would you recommend for the prolific do it yourselfer, with limited electrcial expertise.