1 wire alternator no operation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 08:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1 wire alternator no operation

I have a powermaster 1 wire alternator that apparently is not working, I just installed it with a set of underdrive pullies on my big block chevy, the thing is just barely putting out 12 volts even when I rev it up, I load tested my wiring an all, there shipping me a new alternator this week, but im just wondering if anyone out there has had a problem like this or even heard of a powermaster alternator being bum out of the box?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 10:44 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Powermaster is garbage. I've been thru a few of them in a couple of year's time and they love to burn up. Smell really nice too! The ones I've used are a polished manufactured case with the guts from a 12SI GM unit. They rate them at 100+ amps. Well, my last one burned up really good and I had to replace the stator, rectifier and regulator. The problem is that they try to pack high output stuff into a case that doesn't have enough cooling vents. I'll run this one until it burns up again and then replace the unit with the GM CS130 style. Much more rugged.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:48 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

What I don't get with the Powermaster alternators is they use the case and fan from a 10si but call it a 12si.

Why would they want to bump up the power output on an alternator and not use the improved cooling of the 12si?
Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Are you sure it's charging at all? I it's charging any at all the back bearing shell will be slightly magnetic, enough to attract a hacksaw blade or small srewdriver when it's running. If it does this and still doesn't put out more than 10-12 volts you probably have a bad diode in the alternator.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

How high did you rev it up? You know one wire alternators need to be revved to a certain rpm to excite it and start the charging, after that, while running, it will charge normally, even at idle?

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 AM

Yeah I reved it up to 4 grand and still nothing, there sending me a new one as we speak, strange acted up right out of the box
Old 06-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuff82 View Post
I have a powermaster 1 wire alternator that apparently is not working, I just installed it with a set of underdrive pullies on my big block chevy, the thing is just barely putting out 12 volts even when I rev it up, I load tested my wiring an all, there shipping me a new alternator this week, but im just wondering if anyone out there has had a problem like this or even heard of a Powermaster alternator being bum out of the box?
It is very possible it is bad out of the box, Powermaster is not noted for their quality. Most of the companies today doing rebuilds are using cheap Chinese parts and they tend to have high failure rates.
Not sure what type of electrical accessories you are running but if there are a lot you probably will not be happy with the performance of the one wire alternator.

Chet
Old 06-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Just get a real three wire alternator and don't worry about RPMs. I still fail to see the attraction of one wire setups. There's a reason why the factory used the extra copper.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

Bad pun clearly intended. I just can't get excited over 1-wire alternators. I had one go bad on me, or so I thought. Started the car up for some reason and let it run (I think to get it hot to check something). I had the radio playing, doors were open to hear the stereo and I was puttering around in the driveway, giving the car a few minutes to warm up. I kinda got side tracked and when I went to start the car the next day.... dead. Now the battery was weak, and I had some grounding issues; but I didnt realize that 1-wires dont start charging unless you hit a certain RPM and this idled at 750-800 ish. It never charged well. Replaced it with a standard 3-wire Delco reman 12si and never had another problem till I sold the car.

Come to think of it, we converted an old JD tractor to a GM 3-wire alternator that was used to drive a flat belt at low speeds

Heres the Delco catalog. This has all kinds of nifty info; incl how to wire up 3-wire and 1-wire alternators in place of a generator

http://www.delcoremy.com/documents/e...ion-guide.aspx
Old 06-10-2014, 10:45 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Bad pun clearly intended. I just can't get excited over 1-wire alternators. I had one go bad on me, or so I thought. Started the car up for some reason and let it run (I think to get it hot to check something). I had the radio playing, doors were open to hear the stereo and I was puttering around in the driveway, giving the car a few minutes to warm up. I kinda got side tracked and when I went to start the car the next day.... dead. Now the battery was weak, and I had some grounding issues; but I didnt realize that 1-wires dont start charging unless you hit a certain RPM and this idled at 750-800 ish. It never charged well. Replaced it with a standard 3-wire Delco reman 12si and never had another problem till I sold the car.

Come to think of it, we converted an old JD tractor to a GM 3-wire alternator that was used to drive a flat belt at low speeds

Heres the Delco catalog. This has all kinds of nifty info; incl how to wire up 3-wire and 1-wire alternators in place of a generator

http://www.delcoremy.com/documents/e...ion-guide.aspx

The only difference in the one wire and the three wire is the self exciting regulator. Any GM alternator can be converted for 15 bux by changing the regulator. Also, the newer one wire regulators are using a self excitation resistor that leaks a small amount of current so that high RPMs are no longer necessary. Fire them up and they charge. The drawback is that letting them sit dormant for too long will kill the battery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg T For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (06-11-2014), lhmurphy (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 07:57 PM

It was the alternator for sure, I hooked up the new one and saw 14 volts right away, Guess I just got a bum one.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Last photo:

I would just get the alternator rebuilt by a reputable local shop or just replace it with a standard 12si.

Vince
Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Why waste time and money on ordering the Powermaster? You can get a stock 10SI or 12SI for $45-$70, and have local support. I usually just go to the local chain store auto parts and get one of the two, and then wire them as a one wire. Have three of them on my hotrods now, and all work perfect for years.
Here's a chart:
Catalog
Old 06-16-2014, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

He's already replaced it.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.