10 bolt to 12 bolt - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2004, 01:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

10 bolt to 12 bolt

I am going to put a 12 bolt rear-end in my car but it currently has a 10 bolt. I have coil springs in the rear and the 12 bolt had leaf springs. How would i go about fitting it into my car??? What do I measure to make sure it will fit. I can weld the parts into place but was wondering if anyone had any tips or that may have done it before..... also would the shafts from the 10 bolt fit in the 12 bolt rear-end????? Thanks for the help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2004, 09:02 AM

12 bolt

what is the reason you want to swap out the 10 bolt?? I have seen a lot of power thrown at them and not very often have they broke, and when they do it was extreme abuse. just curious why??
Jesse
Old 04-18-2004, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

You have the wrong housing! Installing it in a coil sprung car can be done, but it is a major operation. You would be better off finding a coil spring 12bolt.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:32 PM

As bob said a 10 bolt will take alot especially if its a 8.5" 10 which infact is very close to the strenth of a 12 bolt. I don't think there would be enough benifit of going to the trouble to swap it in especially seeing how you spring purches will need to be changed
Old 04-19-2004, 10:25 PM

10 bolt

I wanted to change the 10 bolt because I found a 12 bolt with a posi. where would i find a 12 bolt with coil suspension with posi?? I want to be able to run slicks but I have heard that 10 bolts cant take them. What would be the easiest upgrade???? My 10 bolt has 3.42:1 ratio. I want to keep the gearing at that or lower but not in the 2's. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:54 PM

Last photo:

Is your 10-bolt a 7.5" unit or 8.5"?

ID info: http://www.prestage.com/Tech+Info/Re...s/default.aspx
Old 04-21-2004, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

I wouldn't waste your time with the swap.

From my knowledge of 4x4s, the 10 bolt is as strong as or stronger than the 12 bolt. THis is due to the larger pinions shaft and bearing on the 10 bolt.

Mike
Old 04-21-2004, 10:01 PM

Run the 10 bolt thats what is in my friends 72 firebird runs 10.40's on slicks 3500 pounds wheels in the air everytime been doing it for 3 seasons now no problems.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:48 PM

Blown rear-end

I had a 10 bolt in it originally but I blew it out during a run. It had been restored about 3 years ago. It had chewed up 4 teeth off the ring. I was told that it was because it couldn't take the torque. I have no idea how much torque my engine has but I don't think it is enough to cause that. But I was told that if i wanted to start running with slicks, a 12 bolt is a safer way to go. For right now, my pizza slicers wont put too much torque on it without burning them so I am not worried about it right now. I have a new engine that I am building and my transmission has a hurst stage 2 shift kit in it so I want to have the rear end ready. I just want to know if there is a site or if someone could help me with how to convert the 12 bolt from leaf suspension to coil suspension. Like how to set it up and any other tricks that may help. Thanks.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.