Hot Rod Forum banner

10 bolt and a 454

11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bigalow 
#1 ·
will a 10 bolt rear end hold up to a mild 454 with an automatic in a 3000 lb car.?
An everyday street rod not a dragster

#5 ·
In the lates 60's ... whenever the Horsepower was rated over 300 or so ... Chevrolet installed a 12 bolt. All the factory big block Camaros, Chevelles and Novas came with the 12 bolt.

Your 454 has more torque than the 396 engines that Chevrolet had in front of the 12 bolts. :embarrass

If you drive conservatively ... the 10 bolt can last.
I bought a new 69 Nova SS ( 396/375 HP - 4speed ) with the factory 12 bolt POSI. I killed a couple of the 12 bolts before I upgraded to a 31 spline 9 inch Ford. This was a street car with almost no drag strip use. I did street race ...
S T U PI D and against the law ... but I was young ( 21 ) and fearless .

#6 ·
A ford explorer 8.8 is perfect 60 inches face to face. All explorers have the 8.8 60 inch version?
I read the Ford 8.8 is pretty decent???????
Any opinions welcome!
My stock F100 rear end is 64 inches face to face. I want to run deep dish wheels 15 x12 so with the 60 inch 8,8 I will get a 3.55 ratio plus disk brakes.
I am extending the rear fenders 2 1/2 inches by welding in a 2 1/2 inch strip between the bedside and rear fender

#7 ·
I broke 2 different 10-bolts in my '68 GTO with a high mileage, nearly stock 400 (not HO, or SD) and a TH400. Broke a spider gear in the the original "open" differential. Replaced it with a posi unit. Broke the pinion gear shaft on that one. Replace the whole rear end with a junk yard 12-bolt. No more problems.

#8 ·
I have had no issues with my 10 bolt 8.5" behind my 454. The 12 bolt ring gear is only 8.875" so its really not that much bigger than the 8.5" 10 bolt. I have seen many many guys running the 8.5" with no problems. Your rear end is only as good as the parts you put in it. I guess that goes with pretty much anything in hot-rodding tho.

#9 ·
bigalow said:
A ford explorer 8.8 is perfect 60 inches face to face. All explorers have the 8.8 60 inch version?
I read the Ford 8.8 is pretty decent???????
Any opinions welcome!
My stock F100 rear end is 64 inches face to face. I want to run deep dish wheels 15 x12 so with the 60 inch 8,8 I will get a 3.55 ratio plus disk brakes.
I am extending the rear fenders 2 1/2 inches by welding in a 2 1/2 inch strip between the bedside and rear fender
A 2001 Ford Explorer rear end is 60 inches wide. Measured from the wheel mounting flange to the wheel mounting flange.

The 1957 to 1972 F100 rear end is also 60 inches. The 1973 up F100 rear end is even wider. With the Explorer ... it may be narrow enough that you do not have to widen the fenders ... with the correct offset rim.

#10 · (Edited)
My Ford F100 measures 64 from drum face to drum face(wheel mount)
Double checked-- 54 Ford F100
Thanks for caring- don't have lots of money and i make enough mistakes on my own. Have a shed full of ooops!
I love the old school deep dish look and I would like no more then 5 inch backspacing on a 12 inch rim
Looking forward to the whole process of fabricating, aligning, and welding the 8.8 Ford rear end in. Alot of info on how to do it this forum. Might take Toby(dog) and I all winter, hope not? Depends on how much i scratch his ears

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.