10 bolt chev pickup rear ends - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 07:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

10 bolt chev pickup rear ends

I have an 89 chev 4 wheel drive and a 89 chev two wheel drive.
the two wheel drive has a posi trac and the 4 wheel drive does not .
I have been told I can pull the six bolt axles and put the crown and pinion from the five bolt rear end in where the six bolt crown was and put the six bolt axles into the five bolt crown.
I am going to redo the springs in the four wheel truck anyway ; so maybe the correct way is to change the whole rear end ; instead of changing both crown and pinion.. I was told I may get a howl if I change the pinion into a different rear end ;:::????
I know both rear ends will need to be the same gear ratio as I am working with a four wheel drive.
But if it simply will not work ... I will not bother with gear ratios as it is wasted time

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 08:33 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

The easiest thing to do would be to change the differential from one rear end to the other. Read this. change to posi - NastyZ28.com
When you get into changing gears you have to know how to set the pinion depth, bearing preload and backlash to get the correct contact pattern. This is much more difficult with used gears because the teeth are worn and the pattern is very hard to read.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
Crosley (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the link ..I am fairly good with working on the chevy engines but little knowledge on getting inside the rear gears .

If I put the complete posi rear end out of the two wheel drive with the five bolt axles under the four wheel drive .... Will the six bolt axles fit into the posi . Question being does both axles have the same spline???

i want to ''go over '' the rear end anyway and replace all the seals .. So I will have to pull the axles out to replace the axle seals anyway ,,
I will be replacing all the brakes; backer plates and wheel cylinders anyway.
So my thoughts are to end up with a posi ... if possible ...
I have seen a couple of trucks with eight bolt rear ends and six bolt front ends.
They were both 16 inch wheels anyway and if you were not looking real close you would never have known anyway because of the wheel covers..
The two wheel drive has 15 inch wheels 5 bolt of course..
But I could get a set of 16 inch five bolt rims if all else fails ..

I am looking at the options ...
If I can put the six bolt axles into the five bolt rear end..
Or if the the posi will fit in the four wheel rear end without howling ...
Or I will have to use the whole rear end and buy some 16 inch wheels ...
Or if it is too much trouble with possible not good outcome .. just redo the one that is under the four wheel and live with it..

If i need posi maybe I should not be there LOL
This truck will be a daily driver with no need for monster mud tires or lift kits..
just thought MAYBE the posi would work without a whole lot of head aches ...
Any way thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 01:14 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

Somewhere between '89 and '90 the 8.5 10 bolt rear end was upgraded from 28 spline axles to 30 spline axles. If both of these rear ends have 28 spline axles, and the axles are the same length, and both rear ends have the same gear ratio, then you can just swap the axles and use the complete rear end. If any one of these things is not the same then you can not do this.

If you follow the instruction in the link that I gave you then you can swap the differential without any noise in the gears.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
Crosley (10-12-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

The 4wd axles and 2wd axles are NOT the same length, 2wd are shorter.

Easiset to pull theeentire rear axle assembly and swap them.

You can sawp out the G80 into either rearend, but the axle length will prevt what you wish.

And yes, Big gear head is correct, 1989 is theswitch over year for 28 to 30 spines axles in thetrucks.

peace
Hog

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.