Hot Rod Forum banner

10 bolt gearing change

676 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  hemi joe 
#1 ·
I'm a rearend rookie and havn't really worked on a diff at all,so I'm looking for some advice.I'm planing on swapping out the gears in my 63 impala which at the moment has 3.08 gears,I've bought 4.11 gears,axel aswel as yoke.So what I want to know is it straightforward swap?If someone could give me a quick run down of what to do it would be a huge help.

#2 ·
hi there
do you have the 4.11 carrier as well ?

hope so.

youre gonna need some special tools and knowledge on how to set up backlash and tooth patterns and so on.

i would try to find someone local who knows how to build diffs because it is something not even i would attempt to tackle and normally i am unafraid of tearing into anything.

good luck

#3 ·
Mets63 said:
I'm a rearend rookie and havn't really worked on a diff at all,so I'm looking for some advice.I'm planing on swapping out the gears in my 63 impala which at the moment has 3.08 gears,I've bought 4.11 gears,axel aswel as yoke.So what I want to know is it straightforward swap?If someone could give me a quick run down of what to do it would be a huge help.
Not a direct swap,you will need a series 4 pinion gear to go to the 4.11 gears you have a series 3 rearend. Because of the size differance between the two. As fast68 said its not easy to set these thing up,if you have someone local that knows how to do it would be best. JMO someone correct me if i am wrong .Cole

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.