10 Bolt Gears - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2002, 06:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 10 Bolt Gears

I have the chance to buy a whole rearend for my 1970 Nova for a really cheap price from a friend. It has all new parts with richmond 3.73 posi gears. I've heard that richmond gears aren't that good. Is this true? Also, the my friend told me that when he goes around a corner and hits the gas, the rearend makes a little noise. He says this is because the gears are really tight. Is this normal or does it need to be fixed? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Jeff Christenson

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2002, 08:09 AM

id think it makes noises around corners cause its a posi trac.........not cause its tight....ya might break something in their
Old 05-07-2002, 04:17 PM

If the rear locks a little that could mean a few things. One it needs posi oil, available at any good speed shop, dealer or catalog. Or Two if it goes "click click click" that can range from "normal" posi noise or a simple clutch adjuctment. Histroy is important here. How many miles, who rebuilt it if ever, etc.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:25 PM

Yo Jeff, first is the rearend a positraction style rear? If so, it may be that the improper oil was put in, as a posi- must have a special oil. Or it may be that the rearend is set up with improper clearences between the ring and pinion. Or the rearend has been abused, as no rearend is supposed to make noise! Diesel
Old 05-07-2002, 04:45 PM

Richmond gears are excellent and some rear ends do make noise. Lockers will ratchet when cornering causing a distinct chirping and maybe even some minor wheel hop. As with anything you purchase spend some time to find out what you are buying. Check for axle tags and/or axle codes, pop the diff cover off and find out whats stuffed in there. You could walk away with an awesome score or you could walk away burned. Which one it is depends on you.

when i die i want to go like my grandmother, peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like the passengers in her car.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:59 PM

Unhappy

The cheapest and easiest test is to put in another tube of Posi additive. Any good auto parts store should have this. I had a new pinion bearing put in the rearend of my Jeep. It clunked as it went around corners. I questioned the shop about what type of fluid they used on reassembly, they claimed a Posi type. I added an additional tube of Stalube Posi additive, the clunk was gone! Sometimes it just takes a little more. Try this first, before you tear it apart.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:10 PM

Talking

Jeff - Before you condem the Richmen Gears, It sounds like the Posi unit is running dry around corners.If the rear end has set for any length of time&not been used the lube has drained down out of the clutch's in the Posi unit. Take the car to a shopping mall parking lot and do some slow tight figure eights with the car, that will break the clutch's loose in both directions and will let the lube get back into the clutch's. GM makes an oil additive for Posi units, it is made out of whale oil,Ford also makes an oil additive.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:40 PM

Jeff, I run Richmond 3.89 gears on my 1973 cougar and have had really good luck with them. Find out who did your install, you might have improper adjustments in the rear end.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:16 PM

If the noise is a clunking going around cornIf the noise is a clunking going around corners it
is most likely the fluid is the cause. I use only GM posi Aditive and fluid. I have just had to much trouble with after market posi additives that don't work right. The most trouble I have had is from the cone type posilike Auburn units they don't like synthetic fluids at all.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:10 PM

A gear is only as good as the installation. Everybody out there is probably right try Lucas Rear End Oil. I found it at a truck stop. I put a Richmond 3:73 in my son's Suburban with the "correct" posi oil and additive from the speed shop. Still chattered around corners. All we did was hange to the Lucas, I don`t even think we used any other additive, and it was trouble free. Oh, I forgot to tell you that was the second Richmond gear we put in. It might have been metal failure. No it was more likely mud bogging and smokey burnouts. Maybe a gear is only as good as the nut that holds the wheel.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

steve here most posi rear ends make noise when turning because the inside wheel has to turn the same amount as the out side wheel so if it is just a squill like tires sliding its ok if you have a lot of weight on the back tires it will sound louder but also do what some of the other guys said check your oil hope it works steve
Old 05-07-2002, 07:43 PM

All of the advice is solid, but I will add ,for that posi check the oil level and how dirty it is.Posi fluid is a must.

good luck Ed

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.