Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   10 bolt GM rear end codes? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/10-bolt-gm-rear-end-codes-150898.html)

303oldskool 01-06-2009 09:41 AM

10 bolt GM rear end codes?

WHere can I find the code on a 10 bolt GM rear end and will this code tell me the gear ratio on the inside?
I appriciate any help I can get thanks everyone!!

SSedan64 01-06-2009 10:10 AM

On the passenger side axle tube. Need a wire brush to clean. Look all around it. They're not all in the same place on the tube.>>>>>
http://www.camaros.net/years/69/69rearcodes.html
Scroll up on page.>>
http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#AxleCodes

303oldskool 01-06-2009 11:27 AM

thanks a lot man i appriciate it very much

303oldskool 01-06-2009 11:35 AM

1 more for now

Another question would be do you know a site where I could find out exactly from the code what rear end it is and the specs on it ( gear ratio) its a 12 bolt as well and also is the correct number just one letter and than 2 numbers?

the numbers I found are...(D26)(GM72)and(3896339 with the letter N underneath the numbers) Thanks again by all means!!

SSedan64 01-06-2009 07:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 303oldskool
Another question would be do you know a site where I could find out exactly from the code what rear end it is and the specs on it ( gear ratio) its a 12 bolt as well and also is the correct number just one letter and than 2 numbers?

the numbers I found are...(D26)(GM72)and(3896339 with the letter N underneath the numbers) Thanks again by all means!!

Those look like the #'s off the center section. What does the rear cover look like? Round for a car or Pear/Apple shaped for a truck?
D-2-6= April 2nd 1966
3896339 = casting #??
GM72 = nothing important
The Axle code is on the passenger side front of tube, will be 2 letters, #'s & a letter. Something like this CX 0727 B >>
ProStreet6t9 may know what casting # that is.

jimfulco 01-06-2009 09:00 PM

The ratio code is usually two letters (sometimes 3, sometimes a number & 2 letters), and is found on the right-hand axle tube. The code will tell you what was originally installed in the housing, but nothing about any changes that might have been made since then.

You'd be better off checking the true ratio either manually, or by popping the cover and looking on the edge of the ring gear for four sets of numbers, two of which are tooth counts and two of which are date codes.

prostreet6t9 01-07-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

I looked for that cast number and I'm not having any luck YET, It is a 12 bolt car correct? Did you find any other numbers on the axle tube?

Are you just wanting the Ratio or Wanting to know what the housing came out of originally?

prostreet6t9 01-07-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Double check that casting number to make sure it's correct, I think the D26 is for a 1966 housing as SSedan stated. I cant find any 66 12 bolt car's with that casting number.

303oldskool 01-07-2009 05:11 PM

Im not sure really its actually in my K5 and im not finding any numbers any where else I think im just gonna go ahead and pop the rear cover off and go that route for sure? thanks very much for your guys help as well

another ? I had is I have heard of a way of counting the driveshafts rotations when having the rear end jacked up and spinning the rear wheels slowly?
Do you guys know of anything like this? I guess there is some math involved with it to get the correct ratio?
If you do how would I go about doing that?

prostreet6t9 01-07-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Im not sure really its actually in my K5 and im not finding any numbers any where else I think im just gonna go ahead and pop the rear cover off and go that route for sure? thanks very much for your guys help as well

another ? I had is I have heard of a way of counting the driveshafts rotations when having the rear end jacked up and spinning the rear wheels slowly?
Do you guys know of anything like this? I guess there is some math involved with it to get the correct ratio?
If you do how would I go about doing that?

Then it's definitly not a 66 housing,my bad! If you don't know the history of the diff, it would be a good idea to at least change the oil. I would pull the cover and verify the ratio.

countryboy5388 10-03-2012 08:23 PM

Look in your glove box there should be a tag with several codes on it there should one that is gu and a number that will be the gear code

big gear head 10-04-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryboy5388 (Post 1595967)
Look in your glove box there should be a tag with several codes on it there should one that is gu and a number that will be the gear code

Look at the date on this thread! It's almost 4 years old!