Hot Rod Forum banner

10 Bolt Pinion yokes

879 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  85406 
#1 ·
I got a drive shaft for my Project from the junk yard. The Yoke is perfect, but the U Joint isn't the style that my car uses. The drive shaft came off of a cadillac. To make things easy, would it work if I went and got the corresponding Pinion Yoke off of a caddy & tried to swap it out with the one on my car without taking apart my rear end.

Or can I change out the U Joint on the shaft, but the Cadillac U joint has internal snap rings & the Stock U joint has the External Snap rings.

#2 ·
go to an established auto parts store, not a franchise, a real AUTO PARTS STORE, where the employees are actually interested in and know parts, tell them what you have, give them the cross lengths, diameters of the caps and where the locks are located, there are literally thousands of different u-joints made and a good parts guy can just about look at the situation and pick one out, if not on the shelf.(go early in the morning and bring a dozen glazed or jelly filled)make a parts man your best friend when you are building Hot Rods.

#3 ·
You might want to look around for a pinion yoke for your car that accepts a 3R universal. I know that you can get a crossover joint but they are expensive and the next time can be a pain, so you might be able to get a standard u-joint and yoke ( used ) for the same price as a crossover

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.