Hot Rod Forum banner

10 bolt Rear End

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  syclone 
#1 ·
I have a 71 chevelle with a 10 bolt rear end. Currently it has an open diff and 2.73 gears. I have an engine putting over 400 hp to the rear wheels and need to beef things up and get some traction. Is the current 10 bolt capable of holding the power if not what do I swap in?

#2 ·
I have a 10 bolt rear end in my 1978 El Camino it has a 2.41 gear ratio and it was a posi-traction, it is pushing about 500 horses. It is all chewed up, if you look at the "thread" entitled "What part is this" you will see what happened to the rear end. I dont know if it was because of the power i was putting out or if it was because of how i drive.

#4 ·
10 bolts can take up to 400hp as long as they are done right. for that type of hp and desired driveablity, you may want to go ahead and change to a 12 bolt. they are much stronger and can be built to handle plenty of hp. measure your rear from hub to hub, that is, the backing plate at the lugs to the other plate. this will give you a precise measurement for the length of the replacement rear. there are sites that probably have the info collected already for your vechicle as well as suitable donors.

good luck!!!

#5 ·
I have done a Little Reading about Chevy 10 bolts. I have the 8.2 in with a 25 spline carrier unit. Is it possible to convert the 25 spline carrier to a 28 spline unit if both use the same ring gear size? If it is possible there are allot more parts available to beef things up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.