Hot Rod Forum banner

10 bolt rear end on the street

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  black66 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after I installed my YANK 3800 converter I was finally able to tear my 40 year old rear end apart. Spider gears broke and now it is time for a rebuild.

My six six Impala is street driven 110% of the time. But after the new AFR heads I will be oh so very close to the 500 HP mark, if not slighty passed it.

So with the rebuild I wanted some feedback from those who know about 10 bolt rear ends and what they can handle.

Will my 10 bolt hold up well for street driven car that only sees 2000 miles a year and like to get on it from light to light often.

Stock axles with c clip elimators
Eaton Posi
Richmond 4.10 gear

Or should I spend the extra cash and get Moser's forged axles with c clip elimators instead of the stock axles?

Stock axles are in great shape. Splines have no issues.

I just do not want to get stuff that I do not need because of the "cool" factor.

Thanks for any advice...

Dave

See less See more
#3 ·
I just helped install a 66 Chevrolet big car 12 Bolt into a 70 Impala.
He has a 406 ... about 450 Horsepower and a Turbo 350. The 10 bolt broke a pinion.

Full size car 12 bolts are somewhat easy to come by ... at least around here. They are too wide for the Camaro/Nova guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.