Hot Rod Forum banner

10 SI regulator bad-why?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  joe_padavano 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone seen this before, got any ideas?
thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
something is wrong someplace..

one of the push on terminals is the Lamp terminal..

the other push on terminal is the voltage sense..

i think the threaded stud is an AC output or stator output.. used for diesel RPM tach drive..

http://www.delcoremy.com/Documents/...I,-12SI-15SI-installation-instructions_105116

TERMINAL DESCRIPTIONS:
“BAT” Terminal -Output (+) terminal connects to the Positive (+) Battery terminal for charging the battery.

“R” Terminal - Relay terminal carries half systems voltage and may be used for certain types of control relays, charge indicators, tachometers or similar devices. This may be the third terminal in the voltage regulator opening or a threaded stud or pin on the case near the output terminal.

“1” Terminal - Indicator lamp/Ignition terminal carries full system voltage and connects to an indi
cator light or ignition terminal.

“2” Terminal - Voltage Sensing terminal monitors batteries system voltage at the Batteries or a common distribution point.

Ground Screw/Stabilizing Boss - Ground lead ensures alternator is grounded and is strongly recommended for optimum performance.

#6 ·
I would look at the connector, I'm sure you will find a loose and now burnt brittle connector. If you need to buy a new one, try to get one of decent quality that will have a large contact are with the terminal. There is not a lot of current on either of those terminals so it probably got bad over time.

#7 ·
There maybe something wrong else where. This was a new connector when I installed the high amp alt.
I got a chance to chat with an engineer at Romaine electric. The car over heated twice last summer, he said that could be the problem. He said the remedy for that is a 12SI case- better fan and bigger cooling openings.
Thanks guys, I'll fix this and carry a spare for a while.;)

#9 ·
That was a new connector, installed with the new alt.
I pulled the female connectors out of the plastic plug and they are junk. The brass is so light weight it won't hold shape.
I installed two 90 connectors and a lock tab.
That'll work, though it does seem like overkill. Never had a problem with real Packard 56 connectors and bodies, but I have had Chinesium pigtails with those tin foil terminals. Threw them away and used real Packard 56 terminals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.