100% Builders - stand up and be counted! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 08:16 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

keep trying.

over 50 years ago I couldn't afford anything except to do it my self. so I got into cars, got an engineering degree, worked for Ford, taught a few auto college classes, (it was nice to have $ 5 million worth of tools to use. ) I still do most of my own work. on cars, and have a gen contractors license and work with My kids and wife doing building projects . Just finished pouring concrete for another 36 X 48 ft shop and had 2000 cinder blocks delivered, We just need more space.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i really dont belong here with the rest of you. i havent finished my car and may never finish it.im sure i'll have to have a few things done.all the glass will have to be cut because of my chop. and im sure there will be a few other things that will come up.i watched" new interiors" home made build.that was awsom. ..and a few others along the way.i would truely love to build one more than anything. id rather work on my car than eat when im hungry.my hats off to you folks that have finished 1 car.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:04 AM

I guess I almost belong here.
Working on a 77 Fury that was in bad shape. So far I did it all myself.
Its my first complete rebuilt and I have a loooooong way to go. But the plan is do do it all myself. The engine block and heads I have to outsource for machining. And of course I started with existing material so no frame up build.
Will see how far I get.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:16 AM

Last journal entry: 46 Dodge frame
Last photo:

Guess I'm only a 75%er, I can't paint, do machine work or stitch interior. So some things I have to farm out, probably for the best on the paint thing.
The Vette took just over three years to bring back to life, but it's not really a Hot Rod. She has all upgraded and custom suspension, built 427 and M-21 trans, slight custom interior. I started the build in my barn and finished in the garage.

The Plymouth is right about three years, it's a challenge, darn near everything needs to be hand built, no 1-800 hot rod here, I need to install the windows and have the interior done to finish.

Does a 52 Tote Goat count? Custom side car so the wife and I can toodle around the neighborhood..
Old 10-23-2009, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

I think I'm close to a 100%... Over the past 40 years, I've always done everything my self. Never hiring anyone one else or taking it to a garage. From home repair and remodeling, to all my car repairs... BUT. I did retire as a truck mechanic, so that probabley gave me an edge over the avewrsage guy... I have done painting, gears, engines, attemped a restoration , built a couple nice ''cruisers '', currantly trying the interoir in my 'chopped '48 Dodge.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:43 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Everything but stitching the interior panels and even some of that I have had to modify as the upholsterer did the work while I was finishing the chassis. I rebuilt the tranny (a C4), the 9" rear gear set(bearings and seals), took the crate motor (5.0L Ford) and added all ARP bolting, port matched, changed to a much better SVT roller camshaft and converted the front cover to mechanical fuel pump for a carb/MSD ignition. I did all of the paint - and it looks pretty good tho not perfect in a couple of places. The chassis - a TCI that I modified to a '32 rear fuel tank.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Im real close, on my LaSalle I have done everything except the interior and machine work on the block. I did cut the guides for cam lift and assemble the engine as well. I also make my own wire harnesses patch panels and frame brackets,and I do my own welding.This build started in 03 and I will paint it this winter in a rented booth. The LaSalle is a restomod,all the mods have been done by myself or with the help of one of my sons. There is a lot of research and planning that goes into a build, I dont always make a part that fits right the 1st time, I think my average is three times to get it right.There are a few photos of the build here in my album. I put 4000 miles on it in primer this summer, Building is fun,but the driving is where its at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	on the beach.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	41448  

Last edited by Sixguns; 10-24-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The last one was over 15 years ago...still driving that one.....but I have done 4 vehicles from the ground up, a number more, just swapping engines and stuff....It was all done at home (all mechanical, body, paint, interior, conv top etc)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	55chevy5.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	41456   Click image for larger version

Name:	55chevy6 (Medium).JPG
Views:	43
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	41457   Click image for larger version

Name:	2dc8.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	41458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Project Pontiac.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	41459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Project01.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	41460  

Budget RVs
Old 10-23-2009, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

I guess I sortof fit into this group. My '36 Terraplane truck probably won't because I'm paying someone to do the bodywork (I didn't want to practice on this vehicle, so I'm paying someone else who knows more than me), and I'll have the engine machining done by someone else as well. Painting is still up in the air (depends on if I have the tools by that time or not), but everything else will be me - re-doing the driveline, doing the upholstery, re-wiring, re-whatever I encounter.

My '79 Chevy truck does fit in this group, however. I re-ringed the engine (first time rebuilding an engine), rebuilt the transmission (first time rebuilding an automatic), rebuilt the driver's side cab lower section (rust-out. First time for major bodywork - turned out amateurish, but you won't see 85% of it), re-did the wiring, etc. I will also be custom-building a new bed, new interior, and various other upgrades as I get to them.

My '78 Trans-Am would be a close second place. I originally bought this to learn about cars and how they worked, so I re-did the electrical (first time), rebuilt the carb (first time), rebuilt the transmission (first time rebuilding a manual), rebuilt the entire suspension (first time), rebuilt the brake system (another first), and other stuff along the way. I'm going to have to tackle the rust repair and bodywork soon, but practically everything will be visible (unlike where most of the bodywork on the truck was hidden), so I'm a little reticent to start. I'm gonna need a couple shots of a strong adult beverage to take the cut-off wheel to it for the first time. Haven't had to touch the engine yet - I'll worry about that when it breaks. Oh yea, also painted the bird on the hood as a last-minute upgrade for a car show (Black and Storm Grey touch-up spray paint, with white pinstripe outlines) - first time for that as well.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I love working on stuff, but I don't have the space to do 100% builds. I don't have nearly the skill either. I'm good wiht mechanical stuff, but that's about it. Don't get me wrong, if I had the space and time to learn I'd certainly try it out. I've always wanted a large property with a pole barn otu back with 3 vehicles and a lift in it with a full compliment of tools (plus TV, toilet, slop sink, beer...). Little tough with the price of land out where I am...

It also seems that you have to be a bit of a visionary to complete a 100% build, not to mention an artist of sorts. I have great admiration for the folks who have that full skillset.

Some amazing talent showing in the previous pictures of this thread.

K
Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I've never stitched upholstery or sprayed a top coat.

I admire those that can do outstanding paint and bodywork. And to do an interior from scratch is awesome.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:11 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I guess I might qualify, I havn't ever done any engine machine work, or splined axles,, but everything else I pretty much have done,
I particulary like doing custom body work,, chops, Etc,, and making my own F/G molds, I have a mill and a lathe, but just do brackets and easy stuff with that,, built several show winners over the years,
built cars for customers, for awhile,[about 10 -12 years] still do small jobs,, but I finally decided that working for other people just didn't leave much time to do my own thing,,
I have plenty of projects under way,, and definately won't run out of something to do for quite some time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BR at portland.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	41467   Click image for larger version

Name:	BAD RAT (2).jpg
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	41468   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike build 5.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	41469   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike build 022.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	41470   Click image for larger version

Name:	68 caddy.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	41471  

Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat
I guess I might qualify, I havn't ever done any engine machine work, or splined axles,, but everything else I pretty much have done,
I particulary like doing custom body work,, chops, Etc,, and making my own F/G molds, I have a mill and a lathe, but just do brackets and easy stuff with that,, built several show winners over the years,
built cars for customers, for awhile,[about 10 -12 years] still do small jobs,, but I finally decided that working for other people just didn't leave much time to do my own thing,,
I have plenty of projects under way,, and definately won't run out of something to do for quite some time.

You have some sweet rods there Mr.bill....
Old 10-23-2009, 05:05 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
You have some sweet rods there Mr.bill....
You think those are good looking, you ought to see his Barbeque (Oops, wrong forum no hi-jack intended )
Old 10-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Rust Buster

Last journal entry: birthday surprise
Last photo:

I do all but the engine machining. Hand built panels, boxing, frenching, assembly, paint, welding. Full service restoration shop minus the block and heads. I love a rust challenge! Jerry

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.