Hot Rod Forum banner

100% Builders - stand up and be counted!

9K views 49 replies 44 participants last post by  silentpoet 
#1 · (Edited)
I was just wondering how many 100% (or nearly 100%) home builders we have here.

First off for those of you who don't know what a 100% builder is, its someone who does 100% of the work on his (or her) ride. That means, chassis work, drive train, body, paint, and interior. Naturally there are some things that only VERY few people have the tools to do, one of which is the engine machine work, so that really doesn't count. However, if you do your own boring, honing, decking, balancing etc. more power to ya! :thumbup:

OK, so I'm trying to build my deuce at home with no help. So far I've been successful and the only help I've had has been an extra pair of hands from my wife if I needed them. In keeping with my goal of learning something new with each car I build on this one I took on several new projects I've never done before. Building a frame from just bare rails for one, and narrowing a Ford 9" rear is another. Doing the interior will be yet another project on this build I've never done before.

What I haven't done myself..... engine machine work and narrowing and re-splining the axles. I just don't have the proper tools for that kind of work.

Some of the things I've taught myself on my last couple builds were how to rebuild and modify an automatic trans, setting up rear gears, installing IFS systems and modifying and installing modern rear suspension systems. I've also tried to do something a little different on each build as well. On my pro-street car it was an electric tilt front end and on my pickup it was putting a hemi where one didn't belong.

Here's the 41 pro-street car that I did about 10 years ago. Sold it at the Louisville Nats several years ago.

and here's the '53 Pickup

and the Hemi that I built for it. Sold the truck to a neighbor who made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

and here's my current project, the Deuce. This one isn't for sale.

So, how many out there are trying to be a 100% builder??? I know of a couple who post here regularly, just want to see if there are any more.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello centerline,
I do a lot more reading than posting here but I'm building my car almost 100% myself. I'm with you on certain machine work and I would take it on as well if I had the tools but you can only get so much in a two car garage. Of course I cant justify expensive tools Ill only use a few times. i do have a mill and a lathe though and on my current project I plan on machining the block myself and installing the splayed main caps. I'm six years into this car so far because I do everything myself and I had to acquire some new tools and skills along the way. This is the first fabrication work I've ever attempted and it's been a challenge. The only part of the original rambler I used is the external sheet metal. I fabricated the chassis, the roll cage, floor sheet metal, the triangulated four bar rear suspension, narrowed the 9" rear and fabricated my own axle bearing housing, The headers for the turbos and all the exhaust and a ton of custom brackets and mounts. I've spent the last year on the body modifying every panel to get the best fit possible and a smooth clean look before I paint it myself. The interior will be tough so I may have to solicit some help there but I"ll do most of it myself too.
It's hard to stay patient sometimes when I do everything myself because it takes so long and sometimes I have to do things more than twice but there is nothing more satisfying than being the only person responsible for a big project that tuns out well.
I have received a ton of help on this forum from people like you and it helps to keep me motivated when the going is tough.
I also would like to see how many others here choose to abuse themselves this way ;)

Build on!

Ed

#4 ·
When I was first bitten by this bug. Back in the early sixties. My goal was to build a car from a raw pile of parts. Living in on a farm NW Michigan, if the piece you needed wasn't at the local hardware store, you had to create it!

In high school I worked in an Auto upholstery and glass shop. Started buying Automotive machine shop equipment because the nearest machinest screwed some expensive work. Did a stint at the local GULF gas station. Did a lot of "Gratis" work on buddies cars. Worked at another Trim and body shop while getting higher education repair/machinist in St. Louis, Mo. Did a stint in Tranny shop after moving back to Mich. Started doing trouble shooting and special fabrication for a major corporation with my machine shop on the side.

Attained my goal of a complete scratch built car (47 Ford B-coupe) in 1972, but muscle cars were all the rage and I sold it.

Since have done all work on many mechanical creations.
Tho my last project. I had to farm out the paint, due to health and time factors.

#5 · (Edited)
I guess I can fit in here.. I guess ... :confused: On my 32 I built the whole body,frame,motor,trans,rearend,billet windshield post,hidden door hing's,billet grill,drive shaft,seat's and interior, So I guess I can say I'm One.. :confused: Plus The rat rod I built on here..http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/new-homemade-ratrod-making-138193.html

He** I can't afford anyone to do any of my work.. :sweat: :drunk: Even if I could, I wouldn't let them.. :nono: I try to explore every part of the build I can..Remember !!!! SET NO LIMIT'S ON YOURSELF !!!!! :mwink: :mwink: :thumbup:

Here's the 32..

and the rat rod

#6 ·
I'm building a V8 powered 69 convertible beetle (www.zbcreations.com/index4.html) and I have done all the work so far myself and plan to keep it that way, as much as practical. I enjoy doing things myself and can't afford to pay someone else too even if I wanted too.......... LOL

I have lots of experience building things from building hovercrafts, my dad was a mechanic for about 20 years and my grandpa for 30+ years. I'm also an industrial mechanic and have access to lathes, mills etc......

#8 ·
no way I'd try to now but my oldest son and I built a '46 Dodge Power Wagon from the ground up back in the late 70's

quite a learning experience with the 6volt change over, shortening the drive shaft and putting all new glass/moulding plus a 302 dual ignition and automatic out of a wrecked Falcon Sprint, however our paint job left a lot to be desired - - LOL

#9 ·
I`ve never built one from scratch and likely never will. But when it comes to having a ride and doing all the work myself is pretty much what I`ve done. I didn`t know how to do rear diffs but ALL my vehicles must have posi traction, I hate peg leg rear ends as I`ve seen what a posi can do to get one out of a jam compared to a peg leg rear, so I took the time to learn how to do it without having the expensive gauges to set it up, I`ve did 2 so far and they`re both still holding up without noise and with many miles. When a trans needed built and it`s a TH350 as we mostly used, I built it. The engine hands down I built, I let a shop do the boring because I can`t afford a boring bar. prep, priming and paint, we`ve did ourselves right out in the open yard. You should see my brothers corvette that was did right out in the yard. Just to cut a dollar, we hot rodders are very adaptable, but that`s what being a hot rodder is all about. I had to rearrange the wiring in the dash of my cutlass to install a rallye pak gauge cluster to replace the idiot lights and electrical is not my strong point, but I did it and it still works. If me letting a shop do things I can`t because I can`t afford it makes me a pogue so be it. However I will say, if a shop does the work check behind them closely no matter how much you trust them. The one time I put 5 grand into a engine I didn`t check the machine work and got bit, taking a 5 grand loss still hurts to this day. It`s almost like the great tool debate in the 90`s where many said "a real mechanic uses Snap On tools" and I still say I wish I could afford snap on tools. In the mean while, craftsman serves me well. Sorry Centerline,, I don`t count.

#10 ·
I 100% built my race car but ended up having to sell it before I got to painting it. Engine of course, welding, roll cage fitting, aligning and attaching spring, trailing arm and shock mounts. It was fun. Too bad it had to go because of a lack of garage space for other things. :(

#11 ·
Well kinda, I use to build my own custom buggies and trailers, lots of custom made parts from zip. Not to far off from a hot rod. Most of my rides I have have done 80% and subbed out the engine machine work, trans, diff, seats, and some painting jobs. The older I get the less I want to do its just cheaper to buy it done. No real saving to me now days.

Craig

#13 ·
Over the last 36 years I have done most of the Jag.

What I didn't do..paint..seats. I had a pro shop do the machining on my heads..the block was new. I have had several motor in the old Jag...I built all of them.

This last time I cheated..I have a friend who owned a shop..he was retiring soon..and I got to use the lift..and all the pro shop niceties. No laying on the floor..banging out ball joints this time.
Can't do some stuff like I used to..back just don't like it..so..I might not do another that requires a ground up.
Probably buy somethhing and change things they way I want..perhaps a 53/54 Stude Starlite..

I did the welding for my mounts years ago..had a shop build my driveshaft..as it runs in a tunnel near some of my favorite parts.. :eek:

So..I don't think that 100%..but then Jaguar did make a lot of it in 1953..

#15 ·
I'm forever impressed when I read posts,like the above, about the things other rodders tackle, things I would never dream of doing...like rebuilding an automatic trans, narrowing a rear end, or building posi center sections. It's a rather humbling (but great) experience every day when I come on this board and see what others are doing in their back yards and makeshift machine shops. But more importantly, it is an inspiration - and a kick in the pants. An inspiration to set aside my fears and apprehensions about a particular new project, like transmission building, and jump into it with both feet knowing that others have done it AND survived.

And thanks to that prior inspiration from HR.Com members and dozens of other rodders, here are a couple of my home built efforts. With the exception of boring the block and pinning the pistons, everything on these cars, including fabrication of the bodies and frames, was done here in my backyard shop.

A journal showing the step by step fabrication of the roadster can be viewed here. And a journal showing the fabrication of the sedan delivery can be viewed here.

#16 ·
keep trying.

over 50 years ago I couldn't afford anything except to do it my self. so I got into cars, got an engineering degree, worked for Ford, taught a few auto college classes, (it was nice to have $ 5 million worth of tools to use. ) I still do most of my own work. on cars, and have a gen contractors license and work with My kids and wife doing building projects . Just finished pouring concrete for another 36 X 48 ft shop and had 2000 cinder blocks delivered, We just need more space.

#17 ·
i really dont belong here with the rest of you. i havent finished my car and may never finish it.im sure i'll have to have a few things done.all the glass will have to be cut because of my chop. and im sure there will be a few other things that will come up.i watched" new interiors" home made build.that was awsom. :welcome: ..and a few others along the way.i would truely love to build one more than anything. id rather work on my car than eat when im hungry.my hats off to you folks that have finished 1 car.

#18 ·
I guess I almost belong here.
Working on a 77 Fury that was in bad shape. So far I did it all myself.
Its my first complete rebuilt and I have a loooooong way to go. But the plan is do do it all myself. The engine block and heads I have to outsource for machining. And of course I started with existing material so no frame up build.
Will see how far I get.

#19 ·
Guess I'm only a 75%er, I can't paint, do machine work or stitch interior. So some things I have to farm out, probably for the best on the paint thing.
The Vette took just over three years to bring back to life, but it's not really a Hot Rod. She has all upgraded and custom suspension, built 427 and M-21 trans, slight custom interior. I started the build in my barn and finished in the garage.

The Plymouth is right about three years, it's a challenge, darn near everything needs to be hand built, no 1-800 hot rod here, I need to install the windows and have the interior done to finish.

Does a 52 Tote Goat count? Custom side car so the wife and I can toodle around the neighborhood..

#20 ·
I think I'm close to a 100%... Over the past 40 years, I've always done everything my self. Never hiring anyone one else or taking it to a garage. From home repair and remodeling, to all my car repairs... BUT. I did retire as a truck mechanic, so that probabley gave me an edge over the avewrsage guy... I have done painting, gears, engines, attemped a restoration , built a couple nice ''cruisers '', currantly trying the interoir in my 'chopped '48 Dodge.

#21 ·
Everything but stitching the interior panels and even some of that I have had to modify as the upholsterer did the work while I was finishing the chassis. I rebuilt the tranny (a C4), the 9" rear gear set(bearings and seals), took the crate motor (5.0L Ford) and added all ARP bolting, port matched, changed to a much better SVT roller camshaft and converted the front cover to mechanical fuel pump for a carb/MSD ignition. I did all of the paint - and it looks pretty good tho not perfect in a couple of places. The chassis - a TCI that I modified to a '32 rear fuel tank.

#22 · (Edited)
Im real close, on my LaSalle I have done everything except the interior and machine work on the block. I did cut the guides for cam lift and assemble the engine as well. I also make my own wire harnesses patch panels and frame brackets,and I do my own welding.This build started in 03 and I will paint it this winter in a rented booth. The LaSalle is a restomod,all the mods have been done by myself or with the help of one of my sons. There is a lot of research and planning that goes into a build, I dont always make a part that fits right the 1st time, I think my average is three times to get it right.There are a few photos of the build here in my album. I put 4000 miles on it in primer this summer, Building is fun,but the driving is where its at. :thumbup:

Attachments

#23 ·
The last one was over 15 years ago...still driving that one.....but I have done 4 vehicles from the ground up, a number more, just swapping engines and stuff....It was all done at home (all mechanical, body, paint, interior, conv top etc)

Attachments

#24 ·
I guess I sortof fit into this group. My '36 Terraplane truck probably won't because I'm paying someone to do the bodywork (I didn't want to practice on this vehicle, so I'm paying someone else who knows more than me), and I'll have the engine machining done by someone else as well. Painting is still up in the air (depends on if I have the tools by that time or not), but everything else will be me - re-doing the driveline, doing the upholstery, re-wiring, re-whatever I encounter.

My '79 Chevy truck does fit in this group, however. I re-ringed the engine (first time rebuilding an engine), rebuilt the transmission (first time rebuilding an automatic), rebuilt the driver's side cab lower section (rust-out. First time for major bodywork - turned out amateurish, but you won't see 85% of it), re-did the wiring, etc. I will also be custom-building a new bed, new interior, and various other upgrades as I get to them.

My '78 Trans-Am would be a close second place. I originally bought this to learn about cars and how they worked, so I re-did the electrical (first time), rebuilt the carb (first time), rebuilt the transmission (first time rebuilding a manual), rebuilt the entire suspension (first time), rebuilt the brake system (another first), and other stuff along the way. I'm going to have to tackle the rust repair and bodywork soon, but practically everything will be visible (unlike where most of the bodywork on the truck was hidden), so I'm a little reticent to start. I'm gonna need a couple shots of a strong adult beverage to take the cut-off wheel to it for the first time. Haven't had to touch the engine yet - I'll worry about that when it breaks. Oh yea, also painted the bird on the hood as a last-minute upgrade for a car show (Black and Storm Grey touch-up spray paint, with white pinstripe outlines) - first time for that as well.

#25 ·
I love working on stuff, but I don't have the space to do 100% builds. I don't have nearly the skill either. I'm good wiht mechanical stuff, but that's about it. Don't get me wrong, if I had the space and time to learn I'd certainly try it out. I've always wanted a large property with a pole barn otu back with 3 vehicles and a lift in it with a full compliment of tools (plus TV, toilet, slop sink, beer...). Little tough with the price of land out where I am...

It also seems that you have to be a bit of a visionary to complete a 100% build, not to mention an artist of sorts. I have great admiration for the folks who have that full skillset.

Some amazing talent showing in the previous pictures of this thread.

K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.