Hot Rod Forum banner

100% Builders - stand up and be counted!

9K views 49 replies 44 participants last post by  silentpoet 
#1 · (Edited)
I was just wondering how many 100% (or nearly 100%) home builders we have here.

First off for those of you who don't know what a 100% builder is, its someone who does 100% of the work on his (or her) ride. That means, chassis work, drive train, body, paint, and interior. Naturally there are some things that only VERY few people have the tools to do, one of which is the engine machine work, so that really doesn't count. However, if you do your own boring, honing, decking, balancing etc. more power to ya! :thumbup:

OK, so I'm trying to build my deuce at home with no help. So far I've been successful and the only help I've had has been an extra pair of hands from my wife if I needed them. In keeping with my goal of learning something new with each car I build on this one I took on several new projects I've never done before. Building a frame from just bare rails for one, and narrowing a Ford 9" rear is another. Doing the interior will be yet another project on this build I've never done before.

What I haven't done myself..... engine machine work and narrowing and re-splining the axles. I just don't have the proper tools for that kind of work.

Some of the things I've taught myself on my last couple builds were how to rebuild and modify an automatic trans, setting up rear gears, installing IFS systems and modifying and installing modern rear suspension systems. I've also tried to do something a little different on each build as well. On my pro-street car it was an electric tilt front end and on my pickup it was putting a hemi where one didn't belong.

Here's the 41 pro-street car that I did about 10 years ago. Sold it at the Louisville Nats several years ago.

and here's the '53 Pickup

and the Hemi that I built for it. Sold the truck to a neighbor who made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

and here's my current project, the Deuce. This one isn't for sale.

So, how many out there are trying to be a 100% builder??? I know of a couple who post here regularly, just want to see if there are any more.

See less See more
#27 ·
I guess I might qualify, I havn't ever done any engine machine work, or splined axles,, but everything else I pretty much have done,
I particulary like doing custom body work,, chops, Etc,, and making my own F/G molds, I have a mill and a lathe, but just do brackets and easy stuff with that,, built several show winners over the years,
built cars for customers, for awhile,[about 10 -12 years] still do small jobs,, but I finally decided that working for other people just didn't leave much time to do my own thing,,
I have plenty of projects under way,, and definately won't run out of something to do for quite some time.

Attachments

#28 ·
Bad Rat said:
I guess I might qualify, I havn't ever done any engine machine work, or splined axles,, but everything else I pretty much have done,
I particulary like doing custom body work,, chops, Etc,, and making my own F/G molds, I have a mill and a lathe, but just do brackets and easy stuff with that,, built several show winners over the years,
built cars for customers, for awhile,[about 10 -12 years] still do small jobs,, but I finally decided that working for other people just didn't leave much time to do my own thing,,
I have plenty of projects under way,, and definately won't run out of something to do for quite some time.

You have some sweet rods there Mr.bill.... :thumbup:

#31 ·
Centerline, that is a beautiful 41! Nice job!

Not sure I qualify as three things I can't do, machine the block, rebuild an Automatic and I never reupholster a seat but do the rest of the interior.

The big but is I have limited experience as my restro's have been only Vettes, Goats and two seater Mercedes over the years. I can have every outside chrome and light piece off a Mercedes in 30 minutes, a vette body ready to come off in one night after work but a few years ago it took me two day to figure out how to get the front light units out of my wifes Lexis and then in the process I broke both and that was a $600 bill, trust me, she never knew!

I may be half way quaified, but if I was ashop that did every kind of car, I would not hire me.

#33 ·
With the help of family and friends and 8 yrs working at it I almost qualify. I had the glass installed even though I installed the windshields in motor homes that we use to build at work before the bad economy hit us. I also had a friend I worked with do 80% of the interior cause he use to have his own upholstry shop and had the tools/skills for it. I learned cutting, welding forming you name it, it was a fun learning experience. My welding skills still aren't great but I cut out some rust spots on my old S-10 last week and welded in new metal to make it last longer. Why make payaments when you can fix it yourself. :D
I also do most of my own motorcycle work. Not a pro, just determined (or too broke) :D

Attachments

#34 ·
I might qualify. I have done about every thing except the machine work on the motor and sewing on the upholstery (I have install the materials after they have been sewn). I have not built an auto tranny on my own, but have under the guidance and use of my tranny builders shop and tools. All body work, painting, frame and suspension work, glass installation, wiring from scratch and with generic kits, a lot of design and fabrication of parts and pieces, basic machine work, welding, frame and suspension modifications. I have not narrowed a rear end because what I build does not require this (I'm not in love with Ford 9"). I do not set up my 3rd members, though I have the basic knowledge to do it but not the motivation.
I have not cut any glass, but do all the installation. I have cut and built my own drive shafts before, but take them to the pros now. I do all my own brake work except for turning rotors and drums. Most of the time it is cheaper in the long run to buy new rotors and drums than to true up old worn ones.

Trees

#35 · (Edited)
I qualify because the only thing I don't do is sew my own upholstery. I do the rest that doesn't need to be sewn.I build my own engines except for the machine work. I build my own tranny. I narrow my own rear but buy custom axles.I build my own frames from scratch.I wire my own cars from scratch or with kits. I chop my own tops. I do all my body and paint work,even custom and building fiberglass body parts from scratch or molds,and make my own molds .I am slowly building what will probably be my last car. It is a 31 Ford A coupe.I have had some help from NEW INTERIORS but because of my disability not because I couldn't do it,but because he could do it much faster and save me a lot of pain.He is a good friend and one of the few I trust to weld on my frame.I have to add that I have been painting cars since I was 14 but because of my physical problems I was not able to paint my last one without help from some friends. I have to give credit to Lets Cut it up for doing all the body and paint on my luggage trailer. He is another good friend that I know I can count on and one of the few I trust to work on my car.I hope that with the help of medicine and Jack Daniels I can paint this one myself. :thumbup:

#36 · (Edited)
speedydeedy said:
I qualify because the only thing I don't do is sew my own upholstery. I do the rest that doesn't need to be sewn.I build my own engines except for the machine work. I build my own tranny. I narrow my own rear but buy custom axles.I build my own frames from scratch.I wire my own cars from scratch or with kits. I chop my own tops. I do all my body and paint work,even custom and building fiberglass body parts from scratch or molds,and make my own molds .I am slowly building what will probably be my last car. It is a 31 Ford A coupe.I have had some help from NEW INTERIORS but because of my disability not because I couldn't do it,but because he could do it much faster and save me a lot of pain.He is a good friend and one of the few I trust to weld on my frame.

You know you can count on me... :thumbup: Anytime your ready.. Chop!! chop!! Let's get it done... :mwink:

#37 ·
BarryK said:
Centerline, that is a beautiful 41! Nice job!...........
Thanks Barry. That was the first car I ever painted. Totaled up the cost once, including sandpaper, primer, Chroma Premiere base and clear along with the Chromalusion flames and I spent over $1800 just in materials, and that was back in the early 90's. You could probably double that now. That's why my truck was done with Omni single stage (with a final coat of 50/50 clear mix), and why my Deuce will be done with Martin Senour base/clear from my local Napa store. Out here, especially up in the mountains the closest jobber supply is in Flagstaff 2 1/2 hours away. Its just easier and probably cheaper when you count the time and gas, to pick up MS at Napa.

By the way, Steve's Chevelle looks great with the Southern Polyurethane black and the realistic flames he had done. His health is keeping him from working on it as often as he would like but he will eventually get it done I'm sure.

#38 · (Edited)
It's all about learning new things for me. Plus, I like to have control over what and how things get done. The T Bucket I built was a "kit car" so everyone thinks that's cheating, but I learned a lot and there was still a lot of work. The Mustang was total gut rehab and I did that myself including engine, trans, interior, bodywork and paint. Heck, I was even an "owner" of a couple vehicles and didn't do anything to them except drive 'em.

Now I'm doing bodywork and paint on a friends '55 Thunderbird and they are actually paying me to do it. My current project is a Factory Five '33 hot rod. That's another "kit car", but there is still a lot to do.

My Hot Rod Website

Attachments

#39 ·
100%

100% builder. i guess im more like a 90% i don't have the equipment to bore and machine parts. everything else is done by me though, i just cant stand to let someone else touch my ride. The first project i built was a 56 Chevy pickup, me and my dad dropped a 454 in there and changed it to a 5 speed instead of the three on the tree that was in there. Now im workin on my 72 Nova and i am the only one who has touched it, unfortunately i got to send it to someone to get it painted cause i anit there to do it.(tryin to get it ready for a show in April). all i can really say is if you can build, the build its just more fun to do it yourself.

#40 ·
I am close to 100% but there are a few things I farmed out on the 54 such as motor machine work, transmission rebuild, differential rebuild, front/rear glass installation, and exhaust bending.

Other than that I turned every screw, nut, bolt, welded and prep every body panel, laid and sanded all primer, laid and buffed top coat, routed all wiring, installed interior, and am enjoying every single mile I put on it every single day.

#41 ·
Some is better than None!

First: All due respect to the quality of cars in this thread. Further cudos to those that have the talent to perform 100% of the work needed to build these great rides. :thumbup:

Second: I'm ate up with jealousy, because I wish I had the talent, the garage, the tools, or the time to spend on my project and do 100% of the work. :mad:

Third: While my elky was done (mostly done) when I bought it, at least I'm getting to build my first big block. But I can't claim 100% on that either. Machine work was done by Butch Kernodle, and I rely heavily on my brother David (he's got talent and "the touch") during each step of the build. :cool:

OD: Like most of you I love cars, I've been into them since 5th grade, worked on my 57 Ford (trans repair) when I was 14, and have sold some of the best cars ever that I should have kept (Chevelle, Camaro, GTO, Corvette). :spank:

#42 ·
Like most I do 80-90% of the work on my cars. Farm out the machine work, but do all the planning and assembly on engines. I have rebuilt auto trannys, but probably will never attempt one of the newer ones. The only thing I didn't do on my Rambler is the final paint, though I did 90% of the prep, including primer. I did paint under the hood and the interior with single stage acrylic in the exterior color (which is base/clear). I did part of the upholstery -- I covered the door panels and station wagon rear side panels and wheel wells. I cheated with the seats -- I went shopping at the local pick-n-pull and found some that didn't have much wear and were the style and color I wanted.

#43 ·
My dad would definitely be considered a "100%" builder. Engine, transmission, paint and body, everything. The only thing he doesn't do is the machine work on the engine. He's even built from scratch two rotisseries for his '53 XK-120 (one for the frame, the other for the body) and a paint booth.

#44 ·

Hey ,..are you looking for a fight...????I been builing cars and bikes since I am 12.I buit boats Planes,a rocket or two,Trucks Hogs and garages,log houses,Yachts,Bomb shelters and outhouses.Kites model cars,bologny sandwiches,Cakes,pies and spagetti.Hey did I miss anything????? :pimp: :pimp: :cool: :cool: :cool: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

#47 ·
I was part owner of a custom car/motorcycle shop in the 70's.. had a shop next to "molly" in so cal. used to spend some time over there and pick there brains on painting..my partners wife's family did interiors,, and I learned a lot from them.. I was a machinist,, my partner was a cal. certified welding instructor..learned that there is NOTHING you can't do,,,,only things you haven't done yet... hey look at me now I can almost work on a computer... still type with 1 finger,, hunt and peck,,hunt and peck,, getting faster........

#48 ·
99%er here! No block boring machine, but keep my lathe, bridgeport milling machine, kwik-way valve machine, tig, and presses all busy in my little 2-car garage! By busy, I mean holding up parts for storage purposes! Takes ten minutes to clean off any one of them! My 10 year old son's my best helper... Keeps telling his friends, "this junk will be mine one day!" Teaching him is what does it for me! (just hope he's a little "tidier" than me!) BUILD ON!!! :smash:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.