100a internals - 63a alternator? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 10:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

100a internals - 63a alternator?

I have my old alternator still from my motor swap that was originally a 100a alternator, and was replaced with the gm 61a. Iv been noticing that over time my battery is slowly draining before I start it. After its started it will hold a charge just fine. But I dont drive the car everyday and im probably on the low side of 11v pre-start up.

My question, instead of going off and buying a new alt thats any amps higher than what I have now, is it possible to swap out the internals? Iv never opened up an alt, so if it is even possible, would someone who's never seen one opened be able to do it?

Here's a couple pics of what I have. Old alternator - 100a New alternator- 61a.

Thanks for everyones help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Alt.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	67378   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Alt.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	67379  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 03:05 PM

The max amperage for the stock 10si was 63 amps, and for the 12si I think it was 94 amps. The fan is different on a 12si, but it is the same size case and it will replace a 10si as long as both have the same type of pulley.

I think the alternator in your picture is a 10si case, and I think the two pictures are identical (maybe not?). Why do you want to swap out the internals instead of just swapping the entire alternator?

Bruce
Old 08-13-2012, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
The max amperage for the stock 10si was 63 amps, and for the 12si I think it was 94 amps. The fan is different on a 12si, but it is the same size case and it will replace a 10si as long as both have the same type of pulley.

I think the alternator in your picture is a 10si case, and I think the two pictures are identical (maybe not?). Why do you want to swap out the internals instead of just swapping the entire alternator?

Bruce

The first one is the one that came in a 91 v6 camaro oem, and that is a serpentine setup, while the second one is from an 80's sbc with a v belt, so the pullys wont match up.

I wanted to swap out pullys and just bolt it right on up there, but I dont have a bracket to mount the old alt. Iv looked, but never came up with anything. I didnt look to see if the v8's had the same bolt pattern or not, but then I would most likely have to go to the dealership and find what kind of bracket to get.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:14 PM

Last photo:

well for anyone that has done a swap like this before and want to know:

It is possible to keep your old alternator, if you keep your wiring harness it should plug right back in if you know which one it is, and keep one of the smaller brackets for the alt, and you can put the two (new and old brackets) together and mount it in there without changing belts. If you want to you can get a longer belt and just use the alternator bracket for a late moddle. But if you gutted your wiring, you can also run a single wire from ( if youre looking at the alternator mounted, the far right connector ) to the post on the back.

My issue is running an elec fan, heater, and headlights all at the same time with a 63a alt, at idle you would be running off your batt. But now with the 100a back in, all is well. Thanks for your guys' help.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.