110V Arc welder for panels??? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,151 Posts
I have owned a 110v arc welder before but also used acetylene, and mig. You can be sure that the ARC welder was w a y down on the bottom of the list for use on sheet metal. Can it be done? yes, if you are good enough. Does it make sense for a beginner to learn with an ARC welder? Absolutely not, in my opinion. I sold my 110v arc for 65 dollars because I was tired of walking around it. If all you can afford is a flux core from H/F do what you have to do but by the time you get good enough to use an ARC welder you will have ruined more than you have fixed.......One man's humble opinion.

John L

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 05:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You can certainly use an arc welder to weld sheet metal. I use it all the time on 16-22 gauge steel.

Use 1/16 6013 rods at 40 amps. I take a rod and using a wire cutter i crack and scrap all the flux off of it. I take another rod and attach it to the electrode clamp.

When you start the arc with your free hand feed the "bare" electrode into the pool. It will keep it from burning through.

You will need practice though. Especially with starting the arc with one hand as you need the other hand to feed the "bare" rod into the pool.

I also like using the "bare" rod as a sort of poker. For example I use it to help manipulate the weld pool to cover large holes and gouges.

I rarely use copper plates.

Of course what I mentioned will take a bunch of practice so don't just start welding up your car right away or else you will be in a world of fustration.

Keep a wire wheel on a grinder handy to knock off the flux. Also if you weld over the flux, if you can keep the rod over the flux for a few secounds it will cause it to rise to the top without causing inclusions thus saving the need to wire wheel off the flux. Of course on thin 22 gauge steel this technique is not practical but I figured it is good advice to give.

Last edited by rusthater89; 09-01-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.