110volt plasma cutter for 3/16 steel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 06:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

110volt plasma cutter for 3/16 steel

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck using a 40-50 amp 110volt plasma cutter to cut 3/16 steel? It just seems like I might be using it at max voltage to cut through the 3/16 steel.

I dont want to spend the money to another 220volt box in my garage. I have one that Im already using for my compressor

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Elcamino View Post
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck using a 40-50 amp 110volt plasma cutter to cut 3/16 steel? It just seems like I might be using it at max voltage to cut through the 3/16 steel.

I dont want to spend the money to another 220volt box in my garage. I have one that Im already using for my compressor
I have a 50 amp Lotus that will cut 3/16 like butter but being an imported inverter machine only time will tell about its durability. So far it has been excellent. I gave about 410 dollars with free shipping on sale from Amazon.

John

Last edited by John long; 02-20-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

Don't even waste your money on a 110v plasma, especially if your wanting to cut 3/16"thickness.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

I have 110 plasma cutter, but it's only used for 1/8 th inch or less. I use a flaming wrench for thicker stuff.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:54 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

you want a 240 .I believe I have the same machine as John Long,a cut-40, it comes with a 110 adaptor that I never used but I hear it don't work as well. All I have is a 50A breaker to my compressor which is split with an outlet I've never tripped the breaker while using the cutter and the compressor.I highly recommend this little china plasma cutter its just awesome for 400.00
Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
you want a 240 .I believe I have the same machine as John Long,a cut-40, it comes with a 110 adaptor that I never used but I hear it don't work as well. All I have is a 50A breaker to my compressor which is split with an outlet I've never tripped the breaker while using the cutter and the compressor.I highly recommend this little china plasma cutter its just awesome for 400.00
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
YES. Those little Cut 40-50 units are amazing. This morning I needed an exhaust flange/plate adapter for an Isuzu 6.0 (Chevy). Dragged out an old piece of rusty boiler plate and a pattern from heavy cardboard and burned out the flange in 9/16" thickness. It was a bit slaggy on the bottom side but I think it was because the air supply temp was at 10 degrees and the plate started out at about 5 degrees temp.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'm still new to the P cutter I get slag on the bottom too .How do I get less slag ? lower/raise the amps or raise the air pressure ...I can get a nice clean cut in the 1/4" but the bottom does have that slag problem.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I'm still new to the P cutter I get slag on the bottom too .How do I get less slag ? lower/raise the amps or raise the air pressure ...I can get a nice clean cut in the 1/4" but the bottom does have that slag problem.
I am bumping this back up. Hoping you get some good information we can both use. I just figured some slag was normal.

John
Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I am bumping this back up. Hoping you get some good information we can both use. I just figured some slag was normal.

John
Check for:
1. Incorrect travel speed. Try going a little faster
2. Too low air pressure. Experiment with it. Once you get good results, don't change the pressure.
3. Wet air. Make sure you have dry air with no condensation.
4. Worn tip. Replace if needed.
5. Angle the tip slightly in the direction of travel. Think about cutting thin sheetmetal with a torch. If you hold the tip 90* from the work, you will have gobs of slag and the pieces will actually fuse themselves back together. But, if you hold the torch tip at an angle, it will actually slice it and cuts much better with a lot less slag.

Some plasma cutters will not even arc if the air pressure is too low. I would start out with 65-70 psi or whatever pressure your unit requires and see how it works by trying any or all of the above.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:52 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

hand cutting with plasma it will be difficult not to get dross (slag) on your cuts.
look at the cut charts on your plasma cutter it will tell you the optimum cutting speed
cutting 10 ga mild steel on a cnc table calls for 45 amps and 95 ipm (inches per minute) or 8 f/m
cutting 16 ga mild steel calls for 250 ipm (20f/m) and 20 ga calls for 325 ipm (27f/m)
i don't know anyone that could hand cut that quick

look at your cut chart's recommended speed, then look at what your cutting
then figure out how to cut that piece you want in 7.3 seconds
Old 03-16-2014, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Wow! I completely forgot I started this thread. Well for the last 2 weeks ive been messing around with multiple plasma cutters. My friend let me borrow an older L-tech american made 25amp 110v cutter that was unable to smoothly through 3/16 steele. Another friend is selling a esab 845 machine . 220 volt 65 amp. Cuts like butter but too much slag in the metal when cutting. Love the machine but this machine retails at about $4k and hes asking $1k which I cannot afford. He did sort of state that I can borrow it until he sells it but is in no rush to sell and doesnt know how to advertise online. A few days ago I purchased a Simadre 50rx 110/220 50amp chinesse made machine. I hooked it up to a separate 220v oulet 40 amp breaker. And im in love with this lil machine. Seems to cut just as nice as the $4 machine and its less bulky and easy to carry around. Purchased it for $330 free shipping. One year warranty. I fugured the way to reduce the slag would be to slightly angle it away from the piece that you are cutting and the slag will stay on the opposite piece..
Old 03-16-2014, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

Here are the drawbacks as far as I can see with this lil
Machine. The ground wire is pretty short. The air fliter is very cheap, there is no air guage on the front of the unit. I bought this lil unit with the condition that if I wasnt satisfied I would return since the distributor is about 10 minutes from my house . If i decide to keep which it looks like i might I wil istal a better air regulator, guage and loner ground cable.

Does anyone have experience with the guides they sell for the tip? I plan on making one at home. Looks like it helps keep the tip off of the materiAl
Old 03-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Elcamino View Post
Here are the drawbacks as far as I can see with this lil
Machine. The ground wire is pretty short. The air fliter is very cheap, there is no air guage on the front of the unit. I bought this lil unit with the condition that if I wasnt satisfied I would return since the distributor is about 10 minutes from my house . If i decide to keep which it looks like i might I wil istal a better air regulator, guage and loner ground cable.

Does anyone have experience with the guides they sell for the tip? I plan on making one at home. Looks like it helps keep the tip off of the materiAl
On my Lotus I can ride my ceramic cup on a piece of 1/4 inch thick wood trim that maintains my tip about a 1/32 inch off the material and allows me to cut a perfectly straight line. any material can be used that is just slightly thicker than the distance from the end of the tip to the edge of the ceramic.

John.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:23 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

I have looked at the cheap Chinese plasma cutters before due to it would just be an occasional handy tool. I have just always been worried about being able to get consumables.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.