Hot Rod Forum banner

111w bobbin case jammed

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  John long 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
Newbie here with the bobbin case tale of woe. I recently started reading this site in exploring what machine to use for doing some car interior and also boat cushions and sail covers etc. I just got a Singer 111W153 locally from an upholstery shop and it seemed to be in great shape 'til I got a hold of it. I was able to use it to sew several practice items using some bonded polyester 69 thread, but when that ran out I used some unbonded nylon that soon jammed under the bobbin case.
From reading the threads from Dan on how to take out the bobbin case, I now know what to do. The problem is the screws appear to not have been removed in the 60 odd years the machine has been around. I am using a new set of precision screw drivers but the two screws on the retaining plate won't budge. I don't want to strip the slots. Any tips on how to remove them?

#2 ·
some thoughts

Came back to check on the thread, and realized that I am essentially asking How do I unscrew a screw. But my concern is that I assume that the bobbin case assembly is hardened and that if I mar the screw slots on the screws in the retainer plate, then I am in deep somethin'. I read Dan's threads to Danios and Elleka on the same thread jam under the case problem and they were incredibly helpful.
The issue is ; How do I loosen these little screws? I have soaked them in penetrating oil, and tried a screw driver held and turned with a mini wrench (gently). If it were a rusted bolt I would apply heat, so I thought about pressing a soldering iron to it . But I don't want to draw the temper on the parts, right? What would the sewing machine mechanic do in this situation?
Should I consider removing the hook assembly and work on the bench with it ... and if I do will it mess up the timing?

#5 ·
I'm not sure I can help either. There really shouldn't be a way to tighten those screws so tight they can't be budged. They don't need to be anything more than snug. I would get a helper to bear down on the screwdriver while you turn it with a small vise grip pliers. First I'd give the penetrating oil time to work. Have you tried Kroil on it? That's the best stuff on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

#6 ·
Yes ,I can't see why they should be so tight. I will try the Kroil on it , I think I have some around here. Maybe time with the oil will tell. I tried putting a hot air gun on it tonight , warm enough that I couldn't keep my finger on it, but nothing.

#7 ·
If you can't get the screws out, you'll have to take it to an industrial sewing machine mechanic who will take the whole hook assembly out, and if need be, replace the whole thing including the bobbin case. The whole thing goes for about $110 to $160. CLICK HERE

#10 ·
bobbin case unchained!

Hi guys, Just wanted to touch base and thank everyone for their help. I never did get my screws loose, but after soaking in acetone and oil for a week , I was able to flex the bobbin case back and forth, and sweep under it with a large needle and it suddenly freed up. I was able to start hook going around it by rotating the main pulley. It is back in business and the timing still seems good. I put in new thread, bonded polyester, and it seems to run great!
Now to start sewing up some stuff!

#13 ·
catuch said:
Hi guys, Just wanted to touch base and thank everyone for their help. I never did get my screws loose, but after soaking in acetone and oil for a week , I was able to flex the bobbin case back and forth, and sweep under it with a large needle and it suddenly freed up. I was able to start hook going around it by rotating the main pulley. It is back in business and the timing still seems good. I put in new thread, bonded polyester, and it seems to run great!
Now to start sewing up some stuff!
Cool. Glad to see it worked out. Keep us posted on your project....

John L

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.