12 Bolt? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 12:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

12 Bolt?

I've got a 69 Chevelle 496 with 642hp/660tq to the fly wheel dyno proven if I had to guess 540/550 to the rear wheels. It has a turbo 400 3,500 stall with 12 bolt and 4:10 gears I have the cover on the rear to hold the rear cap in place all bearings and seals have been changed out new eaton posi unit along with a much better drive shaft and yoke. The axles are still stock with the c-clips still in. This is mainly a street rod, but It will hit the track every now and then. I ran in the low 7's a few weeks ago 1/8 mile, but I was spinning and I wasn't able to hammer it off the line. I got some new drag radials that seem to hold it aloooot better than before (Just feeling them out on the street, but I wanted opinions will this rear end, axles, etc hold up? For a couple runs down the track. I feel like I can get it in th 6.9's-6.8's in the 1/8, but I don't want to damage anything. After I break into the high 6's I don't plan on taking it to the track until I upgrade the axles and get the c-clip eliminators. I don't want to put more money in it right now if I can get by with what I have for a couple runs. I think I would be ok, but I've always had car's in the 400 range as far as torque the most was 475 in a 70 chevelle always have had 12 bolts just wanted some solid opinions. Running this Friday. Thanks! It will be foot braked no trans brake!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

550FT/LBS and C-clips....Have you ever seen an entire axle/wheel/tire combo leave the party? If you havent, you will...adding sticky tires to this is just going to exacerbate the SAFETY issue. Call up your favorite axle company, get some real axles and convert the assembly with C-clip eliminators.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
550FT/LBS and C-clips....Have you ever seen an entire axle/wheel/tire combo leave the party? If you havent, you will...adding sticky tires to this is just going to exacerbate the SAFETY issue. Call up your favorite axle company, get some real axles and convert the assembly with C-clip eliminators.
I don't want to run it with the new tire's if its a really good chance of damage. I was asking because I thought the 70 chevelle with the LS6 from the factory made 475FT/LBs I hoped I could get away with it for a run or two, but I don't mess it up. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

When all the parts were brand new, there would have been less likelihood of axle failure. 40 year old parts are barely hanging on after spending their life in a hotrod.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

Looking for axle's as we speak, but I have one question. Would I be ok if I just purchased c-clip axles from moser or strange without the c clip eliminators. I ask this because it's a street car that I'm only taking to the strip right now to test and tune and get my rock bottom time. Maybe 5 more runs on the car the motor is pretty much dialed in just had the traction issues. All parts gears, bearings, etc are new except the axles and clips. If its still a really good chance of possible carnage from the 550ft/trq then I'll get the eliminators. I just would hate to get them for a few runs if you guys are pretty sure I could get by with what I've got plus new axles! Just don't want to have to cut the housing unless I really need to, but I will! Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396chevelle
Looking for axle's as we speak, but I have one question. Would I be ok if I just purchased c-clip axles from moser or strange without the c clip eliminators. I ask this because it's a street car that I'm only taking to the strip right now to test and tune and get my rock bottom time. Maybe 5 more runs on the car the motor is pretty much dialed in just had the traction issues. All parts gears, bearings, etc are new except the axles and clips. If its still a really good chance of possible carnage from the 550ft/trq then I'll get the eliminators. I just would hate to get them for a few runs if you guys are pretty sure I could get by with what I've got plus new axles! Just don't want to have to cut the housing unless I really need to, but I will! Thanks!
Oh well! I went ahead and ordered the moser axles and c-clip eliminators. I don't want to have to worry about it when Im running it.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Im glad you made the prudent decision. When I first got into hotrods; I knew a guy who broke a wheelstud changing his rims on a 55 chevy. He went and replaced the (1) broken stud; even though I begged him to replace all the studs on the rear axle. He promised to replace them all after the cruise season. Same guy runs around with the OEM single pot master cyl. He happens to be my father and a former auto shop teacher. Well sure enough 3 other ones let go, wrecked the rim and scared the crap out of my mom.

Moral here is; Even though you intend to 'get around to it', you tend to get busy doing other things and when its a safety issue (brakes, suspension and geartrain), its really not worth waiting. Do it before it breaks and you never have to worry about it
Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
Im glad you made the prudent decision. When I first got into hotrods; I knew a guy who broke a wheelstud changing his rims on a 55 chevy. He went and replaced the (1) broken stud; even though I begged him to replace all the studs on the rear axle. He promised to replace them all after the cruise season. Same guy runs around with the OEM single pot master cyl. He happens to be my father and a former auto shop teacher. Well sure enough 3 other ones let go, wrecked the rim and scared the crap out of my mom.

Moral here is; Even though you intend to 'get around to it', you tend to get busy doing other things and when its a safety issue (brakes, suspension and geartrain), its really not worth waiting. Do it before it breaks and you never have to worry about it
Yeah, I guess when you get to a certain power rating there's things you need to do that you may not really want to do to the car, but It makes it safer, so it should be done.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.