120v air compressor. Seeking advice, purchasing my first one. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
it is a little loud, but oil-less is definitely louder.. 5 mins recharge approx. I painted my '51 Chevy with a HVHP gravity feed gun from Campbell Haussfeld and it kept up just fine..
Matt167, I would like to know more about the Campbell Hausfeld you mentioned. Was it a 110v compressor? Would you happen to know the model number? Do you know the size of the tank, or how many cfm's it puts out?

On their new compressors, is CH giving honest performance numbers? I'm new to this, but I've read they manufacture several different brands, and they import some with their name on them. It makes it hard to figure out what's what. Two units that look 100% the same can have different brand names. Who knows if they are engineered the same?

Someone on this bulletin board mentioned that for awhile there's been significant trouble about the facts and figures stated by some manufacturers. Has this problem been straightened out, or is it still a problem? Ralph4

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

I just bought a 22 gal Campbell Haussfeld tank on craigslist. The guy burned up the compressor working on a 54 chevy. The tank looks exactly like the one in the link and the ratings on the tank are very similar to the one in the link also. Just wanted to throw this out there, make sure you don't overheat what ever you end up buying. You will want to keep an eye on what air tools you are using with it.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

Not sure if you are talking about the CH compressor I linked to but the tank don't tell much, for instance the one I linked to was 28 gallons but this one has a 26 gallon tank and is IMHO a piece of junk.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1566_200361566

This one has a nearly identical tank but is a much better conventional compressor with an all cast iron pump,

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...7773_200357773

The last one there is the same basic all cast iron pump that CH has used for years and for the price is a decent setup, the conventional cast iron finned twin cylinder arrangement running at relatively low speed (compared to a direct drive) means this thing will have a fairly decent duty cycle and will run a long time without overheating, at least to the point where the pump would be damaged. Not so with the one in that first link, that direct drive oil-less design is built with plastic parts that will be destroyed by extended use. They are not only very loud but they heat up VERY quickly and that heat will destroy the pump, the tanks may be similar but there is absolutely no comparison between the two compressors. I don't know what model the tank you have came from but I would bet it is from a direct drive oil-less compressor, the fact it burned up (REALLY common for those things!) and had that little tank is just about proof of that.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph4
Matt167, I would like to know more about the Campbell Hausfeld you mentioned. Was it a 110v compressor? Would you happen to know the model number? Do you know the size of the tank, or how many cfm's it puts out?

On their new compressors, is CH giving honest performance numbers? I'm new to this, but I've read they manufacture several different brands, and they import some with their name on them. It makes it hard to figure out what's what. Two units that look 100% the same can have different brand names. Who knows if they are engineered the same?

Someone on this bulletin board mentioned that for awhile there's been significant trouble about the facts and figures stated by some manufacturers. Has this problem been straightened out, or is it still a problem? Ralph4
it's a Harbor Freight model 90234. my spray gun is a CH... compressor is a 110v unit, and from what I do with it, the CFM ratings are at par... some CH units use identical pumps, just with a nicer cut out switch. but the HF switch works just fine
Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 PM

Thanks to all you fellows

Gentlemen, all of you have been helpful. Thank you !
Old 10-15-2009, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

I will have to double check the ratings on my tank. IIRC the ratings from the first link is to low but you could be correct. I agree, an oil-less would be the first to fail.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:47 AM

Last photo:

yeah, you are right, looking at the handles and platforms closer it has to be from one like the first link which makes more sense since it failed. Regardless, you don't want the other compressor to run constant for 8 hours.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Air Compressors

If anyone is looking for some cheap air compressors take a look at this website.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.