The #12530282 engine: - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

And just so you can know what were talking about here........

1986 American Skier "Barefoot Skier" Advance

Here is a shot of the ole girl.

I wouldnt be touching the engine if it were not for a rod cap giving way in the first place, but the entire boat has been gone through (stringers, floor, transom, paint, all hardware powdercoated, decals being made as we speak, so on and so on) and I dont want to play with the old school 2 piece rear man and flat cam anymore. Give me a 1 piece rear and roller block all brand new baby!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat top on 2 small.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	63292  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongchuan
Absolutely I was looking at the 4 bolt. I just didn't understand why they made it a point to specify not using a Carb. Ill be turning 3500 rpm most of the time and 4500 to 4700 when I'm playing around or barefoot skiing.

What are your thoughts on a Carb in this situation? I'm now running a 650 cfm edelbrock marine.is that going to be to much? Not enough?

thanks again for the reply. I really appreciate the information.
Given your RPMs a 650 on a 350 is just about dead on.

I don't understand the carb use restriction unless this is a legal thing concerning SMOG engines in road vehicles to reduce their liability to law suit when these things get caught at emissions inspections. As I said; there are thousands of these, either as crate motors or equivalent builds from the parts, out there with carbs on top of them.

As is typical of L31 Vortec heads when your valve lift starts getting around .45 inch you need to pay attention to the guide to retainer clearance and modify the top of the guides as necessary to maintain at least .050 inch of freedom with the stem seals in place.

Bogie
Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

350 marine engine

Like I said , .... sounds like you are,"ON the Beam" with what U need. JUST let me remind you something you already know,... GAS IS s#@&**%!!!. I am sure you already have your timing back to 32 -34 total. With this stuff they are selling today it is so easy to,"HAMMER" an engine [even at 9 to 1]. There are really high cylinder pressures involved in getting over the mountain [getting your boat on plane]. Keep it in mind , and you will be OK [WHEN YOU MOVE THE TIMING BACK YOU HAVE LESS TORQUE TOO].
Old 02-24-2012, 05:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
Given your RPMs a 650 on a 350 is just about dead on.

I don't understand the carb use restriction unless this is a legal thing concerning SMOG engines in road vehicles to reduce their liability to law suit when these things get caught at emissions inspections. As I said; there are thousands of these, either as crate motors or equivalent builds from the parts, out there with carbs on top of them.

As is typical of L31 Vortec heads when your valve lift starts getting around .45 inch you need to pay attention to the guide to retainer clearance and modify the top of the guides as necessary to maintain at least .050 inch of freedom with the stem seals in place.

Bogie
Im talking with Comp right now about my lift situation. I will be throwing a set of beehives and retainers on since that is an upgrade I can do without pulling the heads. Not that I mind pulling heads but since its a crate I want to leave it alone if possible.

From what I am being told this should take me from about a .450 to a .550 (safe) lift. I would imagine I can get a fairly nice cam that will work in this range.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

350 marine engine

Plz remember my quote:" Bigger is not always better" [changing gears , and idling along to take up the slack in the ski rope]. With the mildest cam you should still be putting out almost a HP. per cubic inch [even with 9 to 1]. Tuning is everything. I could recommend a tuning kit from Carter [same as Edelbrock carb]. IT was available years ago. IT was called "Track Pak" ,or something like that. The kit consisted of ,... 4 sets of metering rods, and 4 sets of jets. You could "Mix and Match" until you got your set-up just right. They weren't cheap,... I think it was about 75$ of 1980s money. I think some of those kits are still around, or maybe Edelbrock sells something like it [since they bought the rights to produce Carter carbs].
Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

I already have one of those kits from Edelbrock...... used it to tune in the carb to the old engine. Just going to have to make changes when I get it on the new engine. Already ahead of you on that one thanks!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

You guys have given me some really great advice and I appreciate it! I'm just going to continue my questioning here as it seems you guys are very knowledgeable.

Flex plate.... what do I do for a flex plate or flywheel in this situation? I'm running a velvet drive transmission and am under the impression I need some weight to make everything work properly. Like a flywheel instead of a flexplate.

Any idea as to what I'm going to need to do here? Can I use my old flywheel somehow? If so how do I balance it properly?
Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Flywheel for 350 marine

This starting to get a little tricky since new one piece seal engines are externally balanced, and older 2 piece engines are internally balanced. I think I would lean toward using the original flywheel , but , you will have to look into the balancing problem. Check me out,.... I am pretty sure I am correct about this....
Old 03-01-2012, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by googala7
This starting to get a little tricky since new one piece seal engines are externally balanced, and older 2 piece engines are internally balanced. I think I would lean toward using the original flywheel , but , you will have to look into the balancing problem. Check me out,.... I am pretty sure I am correct about this....
You need to change the flywheel or flexplate to the 1 piece seal config as the bolt circle to the crank is smaller at 3 inches than the two piece. The offset weight in minuscule all it's doing is off setting a tiny glob on the end of the two piece seal crank that is removed with the totally round end of the one piece crank. In the strictest terms, the old one piece crank wasn't internally balanced as it had a small piece outside the block, but it didn't require additional weight in the damper or fly/flex as the 400 crank does.

Frankly, I was hesitant to recommend this up front, but I think that building an engine from pieces is the best way, at least technically, to go. Most crate motors either run you into the problem you're having where the one piece seal engines get more efficient heads (i.e. Vortec or Swirl Port) while the two piece seal engines tend to get the old inefficient SMOG heads. Where if you roll your own you put it together off a Chinese menu picking a two piece rear seal block and crank, some nice custom rods, and choose the pistons and heads to kick up the combustion efficiency like flat top or D dish pistons probably in forged for a boat, some vortec style heads but maybe aftermarket like RHS or ATR to name a couple, GMPP also makes a much more robust version of the L31 Vortec that is better suited to performance and heavy duty applications these being part numbers (not casting number)25534421 and 25534431 both use the same 2.02x1.55 valves with the 421 having 180cc ports and the 431 having 210cc ports and considerably thicker castings and already machined guides to take high lift cams.

This is a much better way to go than crate engines but it will cost more. This is the way I go, I don't use crate motors unless the customer is adamant about it or the track rules require it.

Bogie
Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

350 1 pc. seal marine

THX Bogie [for the info]! I thought from previous posts he was commited to a crate engine. I don't interchange parts much on the new motors. I recommend the old blocks, coz so many parts are available, ... soooo cheap.... and I like the older blocks [Smokey Yunick ran an 010 block at INDY { finished 13th}]. ALL those new heads available sure are "TRICK" [it is hard for me to keep track of them all. But,... in this instance, you need the velocity at low rpm to get it "over the mountain"[up on plane]. The smaller port heads will work just fine... There is probably an advantage to running the "Vortec" type head,coz you don't have to worry about pre-ignition near as much,but, I don't think it is cost effective in this application.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 AM

1993 c1500

I have a 1993 chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup with a 350 that has TBI. My question is will the intake and other bolt on's fit this engine. Also what kind of HP do you think it will make with the stock TBI? I know it would be better to upgrade my fuel system but I want to keep the mpg.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:12 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead37 View Post
I have a 1993 chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup with a 350 that has TBI. My question is will the intake and other bolt on's fit this engine. Also what kind of HP do you think it will make with the stock TBI? I know it would be better to upgrade my fuel system but I want to keep the mpg.
There are GM intakes that fit a TBI to the Vortec heads. There are also TBI adapters that fit the TBI to a 4-barrel intake.

If you add more cam that makes less vacuum than the OEM cam you'll prolly need to address the computer's calibration. There are shops that do chips for them.

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-23-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

You will need a chip burned to use this engine & to have it perform well with your current TBI & ECM.You will also need to change out the timing cover & the balancer that comes on the crate engine.(Not 100% sure on the balancer).Also,if you need to pass emmisions testing,to my knowledge,the GMPP intake is the only 1 I know of that will let you keep your EGR setup.If adapting another type intake for your TBI,you will have to externally plumb in an EGR setup.These are good engines for the money if you are just lookin for a replacement engine.I bought 1 in 2007 & currently put 285K troublefree miles.I'm currently rebuilding my original engine that was pulled @ 250K.I will have close to $1,500 in machine work & parts when done.It's not a completely stock rebuild,but,not extreme either.This also doesn't include any labor or warranty,so, @ $1,875 for a new complete engine w/ a 3 yr/100K warranty'I'd say it's a good deal.Be aware tho that since you wouild be installing it in a 93 & you do have problems,GM can void warranty due to using the engine outside of it's intended application.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

As far as your gas milage,the CSFI that is used stock on this engine gets better milage & more performance than the stock TBI.You would need alotta stuff to convert tho.If you had a complete donor vehicle to swap from,it would be a lot easier.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.