13.1 compression Chev 355? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
13.1 compression Chev 355?

I bought a complete running Chev 355 that was built for drag racing and raced for 1 year. I want to use it for a 69 Camaro im going to buy. The motor is 13.1 compression. Are there octane modifires or boostres that can be added to 93 oct fuel that my motor can run on. I plan to buy a good set of aluminum heads. Im dont want to buy $8.00 per gallon gas for 110. I know I can swap to E-85 but I want to do that as a lats resort. Are there other options? I dont plan to race the car. Just street drive. Thanks in advance.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,054
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 315 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnb View Post
I bought a complete running Chev 355 that was built for drag racing and raced for 1 year. I want to use it for a 69 Camaro im going to buy. The motor is 13.1 compression. Are there octane modifires or boostres that can be added to 93 oct fuel that my motor can run on. I plan to buy a good set of aluminum heads. Im dont want to buy $8.00 per gallon gas for 110. I know I can swap to E-85 but I want to do that as a lats resort. Are there other options? I dont plan to race the car. Just street drive. Thanks in advance.
Sorry dude, but nope....all the octane boost in the world isn't going to stop that from eating itself on pump. Which pistons are in it? If the compression is there by tiny CC heads, then maybe you will be OK when you switch to alum heads. That's going to be what you need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 1,259
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 110 Times in 101 Posts
Octane boosters are snake oil. With that high of a compression ratio, you will need 100% VP-110 octane racing fuel.

E-85 will not work for you. E-85 is equal to 100 octane but only if the fuel delivery system is twice as rich than used with pure petroleum based gasoline. That is because alcohol has a cooling effect and less heat release (energy per volume) in order to reduce detonation but only if it is rich enough. That is why E-85 has a false economic value and is not in general use.

The production of E-85 as a fuel is just to make the corn farmers happy by giving them another market for their product. About 80% of corn production is used to make chicken feed for all the chickens used by "The Colonel" and other fast food establishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM
F-BIRD'88's Avatar
Yada Yada Yada
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,284
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 399 Times in 393 Posts
You need them new fangled octane saver pistons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 42
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink View Post
Octane boosters are snake oil. With that high of a compression ratio, you will need 100% VP-110 octane racing fuel.

E-85 will not work for you. E-85 is equal to 100 octane but only if the fuel delivery system is twice as rich than used with pure petroleum based gasoline. That is because alcohol has a cooling effect and less heat release (energy per volume) in order to reduce detonation but only if it is rich enough. That is why E-85 has a false economic value and is not in general use.

The production of E-85 as a fuel is just to make the corn farmers happy by giving them another market for their product. About 80% of corn production is used to make chicken feed for all the chickens used by "The Colonel" and other fast food establishments.
What?? A lot of race cars run e85. It does not get as good a milage as regular pump gas but its also not twice as bad. That is more of a alky motor ratio.

You can buy race and street carbs setup for e85. But with 13:1 compression the cam will need to be pretty big as well. If your buying heads as well. why not just get a street car style engine and save the race motor for when you need it or sell it to pay for the street motor.

Sounds like you have a complete race engine. To change it all back to stock or close to stock will cost more than a good low mile 350 from the junk yard or internet.

Octane boosters sold in the stores are just for when your engine runs fine on normal days but gets a slight knock when its hot out. Octane booster can help in those situations. But with 13:1 you got a long way to go before its going to be right.

Yes you can buy the chemicals to raise the octane of gasoline. I will knock explain how it is done since you cant test if its right so its best to buy gas from the pump at the track. I can tell you I know someone that drives a crazy boosted engine on the street with 87 octane and a gallon of "....." that allows the 87 octane to run better than 104 from the race track. But its not safe or smart so I am going to skip the chem names and proceedure.

Best to get a cheap street motor that is already setup for the street. If you just take compression out of the engine all the other parts will be out of whack and run poorly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 1,259
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 110 Times in 101 Posts
The only place that sells E-85 where I live in a metropolitan area of over 1-million drivers, is one Kroger Food store. There are some turbocharged ricers that use Kroger Food Store's E85. None of the race shops sells the stuff. If you think your fuel system is prepared correctly and can successfully use alcohol based fuel, use VP M1 or M3 Methanol racing fuel that contain lubrication and combustion additives. M3 is easier on the eyes and nose.

Speed shops in my area sell VP M1, M3 and M5 Methanol racing fuels. VP M5 is what the top alcohol race cars use. My cousin, Mark Talliaferro, uses VP M5 Methanol exclusively in his MARKCO Top Alcohol Dragster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 12:26 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 42
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink View Post
The only place that sells E-85 where I live in a metropolitan area of over 1-million drivers, is one Kroger Food store. There are some turbocharged ricers that use Kroger Food Store's E85. None of the race shops sells the stuff. If you think your fuel system is prepared correctly and can successfully use alcohol based fuel, use VP M1 or M3 Methanol racing fuel that contain lubrication and combustion additives. M3 is easier on the eyes and nose.

Speed shops in my area sell VP M1, M3 and M5 Methanol racing fuels. VP M5 is what the top alcohol race cars use. My cousin, Mark Talliaferro, uses VP M5 Methanol exclusively in his MARKCO Top Alcohol Dragster.
My prolem as well. E85 is not sold in my area but many in the mid west do sell e85. My local race track sells e85 I am sure that is true for your area too. A lot of race league are moving to e85 for high octane racing. Since its cheap and allows them to claim the green thumb.

Methenol is another animal all together. e85 is ethenol not meth. It packs in more btu's than meth and works a little better with normal engines. Meth is cheaper than eth but its not better for performance or economy. It is what is use in race engine for other reasons. Meth is an oil by product not made from corn.

But for sure a meth conversion will sort all the issues. I am changin my honda over to meth since i found out my local oil company sells meth in 55 gallaon drums deleivered to the house! But its not cheap for street use. about 3 bucks a gallon and only half as many mpg. so it can get costly but will take lots of compression and make good power. also has the effect of cooling the engine so hot days are no sweat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
1Gary's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roch,NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,539
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 201
Thanked 156 Times in 142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink View Post
The only place that sells E-85 where I live in a metropolitan area of over 1-million drivers, is one Kroger Food store. There are some turbocharged ricers that use Kroger Food Store's E85. None of the race shops sells the stuff. If you think your fuel system is prepared correctly and can successfully use alcohol based fuel, use VP M1 or M3 Methanol racing fuel that contain lubrication and combustion additives. M3 is easier on the eyes and nose.

Speed shops in my area sell VP M1, M3 and M5 Methanol racing fuels. VP M5 is what the top alcohol race cars use. My cousin, Mark Talliaferro, uses VP M5 Methanol exclusively in his MARKCO Top Alcohol Dragster.
Yeah,we do too.Add in 4 runs per bottle of nitrous it gets $$$$$$$$!!!!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 7,084
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 537 Times in 454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnb View Post
I bought a complete running Chev 355 that was built for drag racing and raced for 1 year. I want to use it for a 69 Camaro im going to buy. The motor is 13.1 compression. Are there octane modifires or boostres that can be added to 93 oct fuel that my motor can run on. I plan to buy a good set of aluminum heads. Im dont want to buy $8.00 per gallon gas for 110. I know I can swap to E-85 but I want to do that as a lats resort. Are there other options? I dont plan to race the car. Just street drive. Thanks in advance.
There's 13 to 1 and there's 13 to 1; which is to say you've got to get at the Dynamic Compression Ratio. 13 to 1 as a static is used in race enignes as a means of improving off idle to torque peak performance that is otherwise lost when very long duration which brings a late to close intake valve. This usually needs to also be combined with a lot of gear ratio to essentially prevent the engine from lugging on the bottom end and going into detonation as a result. The lugging period of a drag enging runninng through the gears as it transits the lights may be momentary but it is significant this is where probably half the engines blow up Typically mid strip in the upshifts not form over revving but form detonation either blowing the piston or rod, or wiping the oil film from the rod bearing to journal spinning the bearing with explosive result. So one of the first things you need to know is in crankshaft degrees when does this cam put the intake valve on the seat in the compression cycle. Later begets more SCR to drive an operational DCR range of 8 thru 9 to 1. 8 being street gearing and pump octane friendly and 9 being race gears and gas. You also need the connecting rod length for this calculation, DCR calculators are all over the web when GOOGLED.

Off the top of my head I'd say you'll have to give on compression for the street and maybe even have to calm the cam. A 13:1 the pistons are probably pop-up so figure on their replacement as well.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
janus (02-11-2013)
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
13.1 compression Chev 355?

That a good point.... I dont know if the high compression is from the pistone or smaller cc heads. I dont know. I assume from the pistons but I didnt build it. I have a build sheet but not with me now. I think it eagle rods and Wiesco pistons. I think iron 2.02 ported heads. If the rise is from heads cc maybe new edelbrocks will lower it... Where I live E-85 is everywhere. I dont care about to 30% more fuel comsumption. I thought E-85 is 105 octane? Based on what I've read it sounds like it might be the best for me to sell it to a racer. Someone said ger a 350 from a junk yard and?? No. I may build anther but not something cheap....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120602_173639.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	914.5 KB
ID:	71158  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
13.1 compression Chev 355?

This is it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	167 - Copy.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	71159   Click image for larger version

Name:	171 - Copy.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	71160  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,054
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 315 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnb View Post
This is it
If you can't find the build sheet, at least pull a valve cover and get a casting number. Acc holes mean they likely aernt camel's but who knows, 0 decked, flat tops and 49cc chambers gets you real close to 13:1 depending on hg thickness. Which means a set of 64cc (most after market) heads gives you a real easy pump gas 10:3 comp. Be a shame to dump the motor if its full of good parts. Especially if u planned on buying heads anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a way thru compression testing I can calculate the the actual compression ratio? I dont have a true build sheet. I have a word document typed by the owner outlining the items in the motor. Im sure it makes no reference to the decking of the heads if any. Like I said the plan would be to go to Edelbrock heads anyways. Not if my only option would be 110 gas. I live in a large metro area (Minneaplois) so E85 is everywhere but I dont want to regulate my trips around town based on where I can buy 110. If E85 is not an option, which I hear mixed reviews about, and I would need to change pistons and heads then its not worth doing anything to it. Id sell it and build another. ??????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120721_194114 - Copy.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1,023.5 KB
ID:	71163  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 7,084
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 537 Times in 454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnb View Post
That a good point.... I dont know if the high compression is from the pistone or smaller cc heads. I dont know. I assume from the pistons but I didnt build it. I have a build sheet but not with me now. I think it eagle rods and Wiesco pistons. I think iron 2.02 ported heads. If the rise is from heads cc maybe new edelbrocks will lower it... Where I live E-85 is everywhere. I dont care about to 30% more fuel comsumption. I thought E-85 is 105 octane? Based on what I've read it sounds like it might be the best for me to sell it to a racer. Someone said ger a 350 from a junk yard and?? No. I may build anther but not something cheap....
My somewhat limited experience with E85 indicates that an octane rating of 105 is much higher than the performance Iíve seen from it, not withstanding that vehicle weight and gearing play pretty big on compression ratio performance.

That said; if you look at the numbers and the process of determining octane for unleaded pump and leaded race fuel which is taking the fuel and testing it two way one the Research Octane Number (RON) method which always drives a higher number than does the Motor Octane Number method (MON).
When one goes to the tables you find that fuel grade ethanol is rated at 109 octane RON but only tests to 90 octane in the MON test. Since to make a comparison to gasoline octane ratings the 109 and 90 need to be added together and divided by 2 which nets out 99.5. Better than pump unleaded but not the same as high octane leaded race gas.

Then E85ís ethanol is diluted with 15 percent gasoline. If one assumes that the gasoline is a pure petrol premium 92 octane base and that the octane rating of either ethanol nor the gasoline reduces when mixed (the kind of thing that often happens with fuel mixtures) you get ethanol at 99.5 times .85which nets 84.6 as its contribution and gasoline at 92 octane times .15 which gives 13.8 the sum of which only makes 98.4 total octane. Scientific data of the octane rating of blended fuels that makes any sense to my simple mind is hard to find. Everybodyís trying to sell something and distorts the truth with the most favorable numbers they can find and certainly ethanolís high RON number is quoted against gasolineís ROM+MON/2 average a lot and everywhere. Problem where I live is pump gas already has 10% ethanol in it. When I read the blend data from the manufacturers and the scientific communities it looks to me like one of the first things they do with 10% alcohol is use it to raise a lower grade petrol feed stock to the needed octane of sale at the pump. It does appear that this is a situation where more is not better, it looks form the data like 10 to 15 percent alcohol is in an octane sense the biggest bang for the buck. So itís not a clean exercise to figure out what a pure petrol feedstock that would make 92-93 octane without any alcohol and how it would behave when mixed with 85 percent ethanol would really be like. Then consider that 100% fuel grade ethanol can actually be 95% alcohol and 5% water. And if I know the fuel companies at all; you can be sure that looks more like 93 to 7 maybe even 90 to 10 because when mixed with 15 to 90 percent petrol the stuff will burn even with that much water in it. So the other question is how much octane behavior is due to the unknown amount of water injection that comes along for the ride.

My limited experience with E85 roughly tells me that its actual performance in a competition engine when compared to VPís C12 which is rated 108 RON+MON/2 for example is not equivalent to E85ís oft stated 105, 107, 109 octane depending upon the reference source.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,054
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 315 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnb View Post
Is there a way thru compression testing I can calculate the the actual compression ratio? I dont have a true build sheet. I have a word document typed by the owner outlining the items in the motor. Im sure it makes no reference to the decking of the heads if any. Like I said the plan would be to go to Edelbrock heads anyways. Not if my only option would be 110 gas. I live in a large metro area (Minneaplois) so E85 is everywhere but I dont want to regulate my trips around town based on where I can buy 110. If E85 is not an option, which I hear mixed reviews about, and I would need to change pistons and heads then its not worth doing anything to it. Id sell it and build another. ??????
If u have a document, then what's a pn# for the pistons? If u cant find it, bare minum pull a valve cover and get a casting number, if your looking at buying heads anyways, screw it, pull a head and see what you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how much CR with AL Heads, 355 chev, and 91 octane bigalow Engine 11 11-02-2011 11:28 AM
355 sbc compression question Tommy Brown Engine 14 04-26-2010 01:05 PM
355 flat top chev 47fordnash Engine 6 04-16-2010 02:25 PM
compression question for 355 Mike_82 Engine 2 12-25-2005 03:23 PM
350 Chev Compression ? 1941chev Engine 8 09-21-2003 02:25 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.