14 bolt FF drum brake help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

14 bolt FF drum brake help

I just installed a 14 bolt rear end under my 1/2 ton C-10 and realized some ***** stole ALL the brake stuff under the drums other than the wheel cylinders themselves. I need pictures of this brake setup so I can see how it all goes together.

Also, since they stole all the parts, do I need the bar that goes across the middle between the two shoes? It has a spring at the end. I think its just for the parking brake which I am not overly concerned about right now.

And what about that odd shaped steel retainer plate thing that goes between the shoes and the springs up at the top? I dont know that I can even get that thing. I can get the bar that runs across the middle if needed but i dont know about that little retainer plate.

I've gotta get this thing done ASAP. Please help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

Also, see the pictures below.

Where do the two gold colored round things go, and where do the "E" clips go?

Which shoe does the green spring go on and which shoe does the yellow spring go on? They green ones are the same thing just a little longer. I know that they are for the shoe hold-downs, but which one goes to which shoe? (And which shoe goes to the rear? The one with the longer brake material on it?)

Finally, which side does the brown spring go on and which direction does the blue one go one? I know there is one brown and one blue on each side, but which one goes to the front and which one goes to the rear?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brkhdw.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	44394   Click image for larger version

Name:	brkhdw2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	44395  
Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Sounds like a good enough reason to swap to disc brakes

I unbolted and gave away mine to do just that. Swapping to disc brakes was about the same price as new drums

Last edited by Triaged; 03-08-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Last photo:

If only I had the money. I spent $90 on drum parts today, I dont think i could do the swap for that. I'm running out of time and practically out of money so i've got to do with what ive got I sure would like the discs tho.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 PM

I found this doing a google search. Does this help? For the most part they are the same as any other GM.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
Where do the two gold colored round things go
They hold the self adjuster lever
Quote:
and where do the "E" clips go?
they hold on the parking brake lever.

Quote:
I know that they are for the shoe hold-downs, but which one goes to which shoe? (And which shoe goes to the rear? The one with the longer brake material on it?)
The shorter hold down spring goes in the rear to compensate for the thickness of the adjuster. The shoe with more friction material on it goes to the rear.
You are still missing the self adjuster and the hard steel wire hook as well as a few other parts. You can't just go to the junkyard and pick up some more?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaged
You are still missing the self adjuster and the hard steel wire hook as well as a few other parts. You can't just go to the junkyard and pick up some more?
I didnt show all the stuff i have. I do have the adjuster stuff also. The only thing i am missing is that little silver colored thing that goes behind the springs up at the very top where they mount at.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I didnt show all the stuff i have. I do have the adjuster stuff also. The only thing i am missing is that little silver colored thing that goes behind the springs up at the very top where they mount at.
I was editing my post while you were posting...

The football shaped tab with the hole in the middle? I guess you could make one.

Next you will need new drums and see the price of them It was cheaper for me to swap to disc brakes. (current prices in italic)

$45 for brackets ($50 now)
$35 for each rotor ($37 now)
$15 for each caliper ($17 now)

...vs $135 each for drums. I did my swap a while ago so I'm sure prices have gone up. Those prices don't get you an e-brake.

Edit: I guess I forgot pads. They were the same as the front of my truck so I just got new calipers and pads for the front and put the old stuff on the rear. I also used my old brake lines from the front and put in new ones.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

I dont need the drums thankfully. They are there. If i could get the brackets quickly id return the parts i bought today and get the disc stuff. But i dont know of a place to get them locally, id have to buy them online (dont have a paypal account or debit/credit card right now) so it complicates things.

Ive got a week to get this truck to a driveable condition. The city is after me to get it moved....
Old 03-08-2010, 10:37 PM

I have had city problems before too
Do you really need rear brakes for it to be "drivable"? They normally just want to see that it has/can move on its own.

Try to find some offroaders. They ditch the drums all the time and put disc brakes on. You might just be able to get all the stuff you need for free.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

They want the truck inspected and tagged or else moved. I dont know that I can move it with no back brakes. Even if i stuck a plug in the master cylinder for the rear brakes or something it probably wouldn't be safe to drive.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:51 PM

Last photo:

Did you have the mess with a proportioning valve or check valves or anything to make the disc conversion work correctly?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 PM

I always forget that you guys have the inspection thing. We don't have any inspections here other than smog. Who cares how much of a death trap your car is as long as the air is clean

If you need inspection you would need an e-brake which will add a bunch to the cost and make the parts more difficult to find for the disc brake swap. That said I haven't done anything to my combination valve yet. It might not be ideal but it works.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:02 AM

Last photo:

I dont know that the parking brake is an issue here or not. I've never seen them check it and ive had vehicles that didnt have a working parking brake and theyve always passed. Generally they just want the regular brakes, horn, steering components, glass, wipers and tires to be in good shape. The tires really dont have to be that great even, just as long as they arent showing any wire. They dont even check ALL the brakes here, just the right front brake (the one that always wears out first for some reason)

Anyways, youve got me reconsidering the disc brake thing. I dont know if i can return all my parts or not, i may just assemble the drum brakes for now and convert to disc this summer. I will talk to a salvage yard about getting my parts that I need but i dont know if they would want to turn loose of those or not. Most of the time, someone buying one of those axles would probably already have one to replace and thus would have all the parts for it already. Only time it would matter is if someone was swapping one in like I did.

I replaced a 12 bolt with 3.08s with with 14 bolt with 4.10s.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

I got the brakes together today. I then realized the a$$holes stole the freggin parking brake actuator also. (the arm that connects to the bar that runs between the two shoes and connects to the parking brake cable). I'm really pissed about this whole brake deal but atleast i am getting it taken care of. I put the drums and wheels back on because i dont think the parking brake stuff is required for proper operation of the brakes. I'll hunt down the parking brake stuff soon but for now I dont need it.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.