1406 carb quick question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 04:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1406 carb quick question

Could someone enlighten me here? I have a 1406 Edelbrock carb and have bought a jet kit off the shelf for it to lean it out. I do have the manual and have decided to go 8% leaner. It looks to me as there is only enough jets to do the primarys. Do I leave the secondary jets alone? The book is not too specific on this part, or are they trying to imply I need two kits to properly do this?

Hope this is in the right forum as I am kinda new here, thanks in advance everyone!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 07:14 AM

Last photo:

You only need to re-jet the primaries.
But the question is WHY??
Old 06-16-2013, 09:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker440ex View Post
Could someone enlighten me here? I have a 1406 Edelbrock carb and have bought a jet kit off the shelf for it to lean it out. I do have the manual and have decided to go 8% leaner. It looks to me as there is only enough jets to do the primarys. Do I leave the secondary jets alone? The book is not too specific on this part, or are they trying to imply I need two kits to properly do this?

Hope this is in the right forum as I am kinda new here, thanks in advance everyone!
The Edelbrock 1405 and 1406 are identical with the exception of the 'tune' and choke. There are two tuning kits available, the 1487 at about $40 and the 1479 for the 1405 carb. The kit for the 1405 is much more comprehensive and is your best bang for the buck. Of course if you are so inclined, both will give you 100% coverage. Now, with that said, you seldom have to change anything in the secondaries unless you drive WOT most of the time so really all you need is the 1487 for a majority of cases - the rods, jets and springs it contains. You can buy individual parts from the tune kits, but are for sure not very cost effective in comparison to the kits.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:44 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

The jets are the same, you can buy seperate jets if you need to... The 1406 is almost always too lean from the factory btw, likely you want to enrich the primaries not lean them.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:45 AM

Hey, thanks for the info. The 1487 is the kit that I have. I actually just went and changed the configuration to the Reference #7 settings in the manual (1426 main and 1456 metering rod) I was a little unsure on the springs, I did manage to understand that the springs should be changed after the new jet and rod combination is road tested, however I decided to do it while I was in there. The stock springs were silver color but looked identical to the gold colored ones in the kit (hopefully someone will be able to confirm this?) If that is the case then they are the 4-in hg springs. I went up a step and dropped in the orange springs (5hg) After road test there is a lot of new low end power that I didnt have before. Definitely runs better, no doubt about that. I do like to use my WOT and would still like to lean out my secondaries. So it appears to me I will need to find myself some #1425 jets to go one stage lean on the secondaries, again if someone could confirm this, or do the secondaries not necessarily have to be anywhere near the primaries? In any case I would like to go one step leaner.

Last edited by baker440ex; 06-16-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
The jets are the same, you can buy seperate jets if you need to... The 1406 is almost always too lean from the factory btw, likely you want to enrich the primaries not lean them.
I heard this is not the case. From what Ive read the 1406 is more than adequate for a stock 305 and will likely be too rich. Some were saying it'd be too rich even on a stock 350. I did notice a puff of black smoke, also just a general strong smell of gas, when I had my girlfriend goose it in park with me standing by the tailpipes. Also generally just feels like it bogs more than it did with the qjet on it.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
I heard this is not the case. From what Ive read the 1406 is more than adequate for a stock 305 and will likely be too rich. Some were saying it'd be too rich even on a stock 350. I did notice a puff of black smoke, also just a general strong smell of gas, when I had my girlfriend goose it in park with me standing by the tailpipes. Also generally just feels like it bogs more than it did with the qjet on it.
Without an air-fuel mixture gauge, impossible to absolutely tell for any particular engine. I have usually leaned the several I've had down a point on the Edelbrock chart for a 5.0 and richened it one for any 351's - and that;s just a general rule of thumb before I 'get serious' about making them run correctly for any engine and the way it's setup. One important point that I've learned is that fuel pump pressure cannot be any higher the 5.0 psig, with 4 to 4.5 better or these Performer carbs can and probably will run way too rich
Old 06-16-2013, 02:46 PM

I found the 1406 to be quite rich out of the box. I was using it on a 318 with a small hyd. cam, 204/214 degree@.050. With the stock calibration I got 10 to 11 mpg in a B150 van. By changing calibration #12 , .095 jet and a 1459, the stock .075x.047, rod and .092 secondary jet milage increased to 13 to 13.5 while still having good power. I believe I had to move up to a plain step up spring to prevent part throttle bucking. I don't know if it is still available but I got the best deal on jets and rods by buying a Carter Strip Kit. It had about every rod/jet combo you'd ever need. but the step up springs had to be bought.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:08 PM

Cool stuff. I dont know what I have for fuel pressure but i'd like to. It was previously a cc quadrajet completely stock. I did read 5.5 is optimum for the 1406 (again I currently don't know what my pump is running) And Tresi my 1487 kit came with springs, Blue, Yellow, Orange, Pink, and Silver
Old 06-16-2013, 04:19 PM

Also I think I should lean my secondaries a step and see what happens. I don't have a gauge so I am working with the tune then test method.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
I did notice a puff of black smoke, also just a general strong smell of gas
STOP. Do nothing else until you can verify fuel pressure at the carb inlet. Tee off at the inlet with a nylon or copper line, run it back to the firewall and up past the hood lip to the cowl in front of the windshield. On the cowl, temporarily mount a 0-15 psi mechanical fuel pressure gauge with tie wraps or duct tape or whatever, so that you can monitor fuel pressure through the windshield as you drive. If pressure exceeds 5 psi, you will need to either change mechanical pumps for a stock unit that peaks at 5 psi, or, if you are running an electric pump, install a pressure regulator between the pump and the carb. Fuel pressure regulators do not work well on mechanical fuel pumps because there is not a steady flow like with an electric pump.

Carburetors do not work like EFI. More pressure will not make more power. What it will do is to over-power the needle and seat in the bowl of the carb and allow the fuel pump to blow raw fuel into the intake manifold. 5 psi max for Edelbrock, Carter and Rochester. 6 psi max for Holley.

Last edited by techinspector1; 06-16-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 PM

keep reading, I already replaced the jets. I do want to know what my pressure is but I was hoping maybe someone on here would know what an 87 stock 305 mechanical pump is running. Also that black smoke is in idle, not under a load. I did check the plug color and it was a nice brown. So in that respect I was hesitant to change the jets but as mentioned above it does run a hell of a lot better on the low end, I also found my floats to be 1/16th too high with may have caused the rich fuel symptoms
Old 06-16-2013, 07:48 PM

While some people like the nice brown for full power if this is a street car running on unleaded the nice brown is way too rich. You should be looking like they just came out of the box, maybe with a brown ring around the nose of the insulator.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.