Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1406 edelbrock problems
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

What a surprise, another "edelbog"

I've gone through so many edelbrock carbs its not funny, and it seems they all start out with this problem (I think we've all seen about 90 posts on this board with this same topic).

Anyway, you don't fix a carb by "messing" with stuff until you think it runs better. First thing's first. What compression are you running, how heavy is your car, what gears? What kind of build do you have on this motor, what kind of intake? This info isn't going to solve the problem, but it will help people give you more accurate info.

From my experience, 99% of the time the problem is not in the accelerator pump, but it is the easiest thing to adjust, if you'd like to try working with it a little. Before you do that, however, do this:

Tune your timing in, then put the car in drive and tune in your idle circuit with the screws in the front of the carb. How much timing are you running initial? Total? At what RPM is your advance all in?

Every time I've fixed one of these carbs bogging, the biggest difference was noticed when I put lower vacuum springs on the metering rods. It makes the transition to more fuel slower, and usually eliminates the bog.

Good luck-

K