Hot Rod Forum banner

1406 edelbrock problems

26K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
I have a fairly new 1406 on a Chev 350. I have developed a flat spot on acceleration. Right after idle it wants to bog. I took it apart and everything seems to be ok. Any ideas? Also, when I first press on the accelerator in the morning to set the chock I feel a fairly strong resistance than it snaps free and allows my foot to go to the floor, what could cause that? Thanks

#4 ·
Seems to be something somewhat common with the 1406 model. They had smaller metering jets than thier non electric choke counterpart 1405 but I dont know if that would fix your problem. I changed the metering springs when I had one however that didnt cure the problem.

#8 ·
i also had that same problem with my 1406 on my 305, id get hesitation till about 2000-2500rpm, then it was fine till about 4300rpm then it would drop off again, i have since changed the carb because it wasnt mine and all the problems are fixed, but there was also some binding and it would stick at about 2200 rarely( thank god i have a clutch to save me), and it did this with the pedal linkage dissconnected also.

#10 ·
What a surprise, another "edelbog"

I've gone through so many edelbrock carbs its not funny, and it seems they all start out with this problem (I think we've all seen about 90 posts on this board with this same topic).

Anyway, you don't fix a carb by "messing" with stuff until you think it runs better. First thing's first. What compression are you running, how heavy is your car, what gears? What kind of build do you have on this motor, what kind of intake? This info isn't going to solve the problem, but it will help people give you more accurate info.

From my experience, 99% of the time the problem is not in the accelerator pump, but it is the easiest thing to adjust, if you'd like to try working with it a little. Before you do that, however, do this:

Tune your timing in, then put the car in drive and tune in your idle circuit with the screws in the front of the carb. How much timing are you running initial? Total? At what RPM is your advance all in?

Every time I've fixed one of these carbs bogging, the biggest difference was noticed when I put lower vacuum springs on the metering rods. It makes the transition to more fuel slower, and usually eliminates the bog.

Good luck-

K

#12 ·
Looks like you picked an ancient thread to post to - but ,,,,

Take your carb off, disassemble the top , clean it out and install a new/better inline filter. When you are done doing all that, check the float level, reinstall, then check the fuel pump pressure. An Edelbrock only needs 4 -4.5 pounds (that's info in their IB which you absolutely need to understand)

#14 ·
Looks like you picked an ancient thread to post to - but ,,,,

Take your carb off, disassemble the top , clean it out and install a new/better inline filter. When you are done doing all that, check the float level, reinstall, then check the fuel pump pressure. An Edelbrock only needs 4 -4.5 pounds (that's info in their IB which you absolutely need to understand)
thank you for replying i will deff try all that you have mentioned will keep ya posted thanx again

#13 ·
I threw away 2 of those POS carbs for the same reason. That plus vapor locking issues due to the carb being made from the wrong material to sit on top of a hot V8 engine.

The problem is the accelerator pump seal is getting stuck the the pump cylinder bore, which cause the whole carb to have a sticking point right after idle. The cylinder bore gets a groove in it which captures the pump seal.

My advice is to throw the carb in the trash, tell everyone you can that these carbs are junk, and get a holley 3310.

Edelbrock makes really good intakes but should be ashamed of themselves for making a carb like that.

#15 ·
........ and as far as Edelbrock quality on the carbs, I've been using them since they first came out and the only problems I've ever had was dirt once and high pump pressure on a 460 powered pickup truck. These Performer carbs are a mildly updated Cater AFB by and built by Magneti Marelli Powertrain USA - some of which have that or Weber cast on the main body - I have one of each right now. This is the Speedway filter I'm using now:

(both brackets are on the filter now)

Gasoline that had MBTE additive affected any carb that was made out of aluminum, regardless of brand. Luckily we never had it where I live and even better yet, it has been banned as an ecological problem from the rest of the country

#16 ·
........ and as far as Edelbrock quality on the carbs, I've been using them since they first came out and the only problems I've ever had was dirt once and high pump pressure on a 460 powered pickup truck. These Performer carbs are a mildly updated Cater AFB by and built by Magneti Marelli Powertrain USA - some of which have that or Weber cast on the main body - I have one of each right now.
Gasoline that had MBTE additive affected any carb that was made out of aluminum, regardless of brand. Luckily we never had it where I live and even better yet, it has been banned as an ecological problem from the rest of the country
The gasoline additive aspect is an interesting point, and it brings E85 gasoline to mind.

Carbs, specifically rubber/viton parts (i.e. Needle/seat, acc pump) don't like alcohol.

Most PREMIUM fuels (91 octane) do not contain ethanol.
Ask your local filling station, or check this website to confirm.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

#18 ·
Yeah ... I just checked the AB (Alberta) listings and they report only 8 locations in the entire province.

They also say that Calgary Co-op (Federated Co-operatives Ltd) is ethanol-free on 87,89,91 ... which I do not believe to be accurate.

Olds is 50 mi. north of Calgary, and, I am sure is serviced from the same bulk plant ... and I know that there is a sticker on the 87 / 89 that says "may contain ethanol", but there is no such label on the 91.

When I'm travelling, I usually buy premium from either Esso (same as Exxon in USA?) or from Shell ... with the belief that they are also ethanol-free.

Try looking for that "may contain" label at your local filling stations ... or ask.
I'm thinking that if enough people express an intrest in this, it might put a little pressure on the bulk plants to get rid of the ethanol ... at least in the premium grades.

It does look like the majority of the marine fuel distributors in NY have a clue, and are selling ethanol-free. Hard to drive up to the pump there, though!:mwink:

Premium fuel here, BTW, costs about $0.10 per litre (0.38 per gal) over the cost of regular. If I'm paying premium price, I had better darn well be getting premium fuel! LOL

#19 ·
Now that we have totally hijacked the OPs thread:spank: I can buy ethanol free gas when I go to Penna. and watch the gas mileage on my V10 F350 jump from about 13.5 to close to 15mpg by the time I'm on my way back. As far as price, yep, 'bout the same differential here in the US. Happily my hot rod is the only vehicle we own that uses the high priced stuff and even though I built the engine to run on 89 it really doesn't like the 'cheap' stuff.

We can't change reality and return to alcohol free gas in the US. Some areas in the Midwest are already running 15% regardless of the fact economics suggest that 115,000 Btu gasoline vs 75,000 Btu 10% garbage or 60,000 Btu 15% crud wastes energy as well as money. The fact that grain stocks are way down plus those conversion plants cost big bucks to design, build and operate plus pay farm subsidies doesn't seem to deter our govenment. Probably yours either.

Time to put the soapbox away and watch some NA$CAR:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.