Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 14101083 Cylinder Head
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Nut2001 View Post
I am just learning the porting process and have practiced some on a set of crappy "882" heads and am now porting my "062" Vortecs. Let me tell ya, this is a learning experience to say the least lol. It was brought to my attention that my ports were not the same from the pictures I had posted. I went back and got them as close to the same, at least to my eyes, as I could. The only advice I can give you is take your time, check your work often, try to imagine the air coming in and going out and focus on that area and the most important is, enjoy yourself. Hot Roddin is what I trully love and cherish every second that I am in the garage. Don't get me wrong, lol, as I am nervous about ruining a good pair of heads and/or making them worse but, thats what learning is all about. Also, I value the knowledge of alot of our members and read, have read and will read alot more on heads in every aspect. Good luck to you and I am quite sure you will do a fine job on your porting.
Good advice......
And from experience I can tell you, take your time, try and visually match as best you can, they will work,and well. I have done 2 sets of heads now, the first set were 416 castings,and I had zero invested so I had no fear, I had a ton of time in them, but that was by choice,and because I'm a complete newb at it lol. So i kept going back over to try and make everything uniform, and when I thought I was done, I wasn't, and kept at it until the flow paths looked uniform, and the pushrod pinch was very well narrowed and looked as minamly restricted as I could get it. This heads went on with a small cam, a qjet Carb, and Shorty headers, and I was shocked at how well it performed. You will be too. If you listen to the "more money then brains" club about cnc machines and afrheads and the best parts you can buy, your ride will never see pavement .....it will be a pretty pile of parts on a bench....so roll up your sleeves, dig in deep, and have fun. Your not going to hurt anything, your going to have fun and learn, and you WILL make more power in doing it.
Rant over