Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 14101083 Cylinder Head
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
We wernt saying they don't need to match, just that your not going to get exact, and that's OK, the OP was essentially being told that hand porting is a waste of time, and that with today's cnc machines or high dollar out of the box heads, that it was a waste of time and performance will be unimproved doing it by hand. And that's ridiculous, yes, always try and match, and don't go and just hog the the hell out of the ports, but with some time, and patience, and lots of reading and learning what works, he isn't going to hurt anything, and will improve flow, and performance. Your right, a clearly bad port that doesn't come close to flowing what the next port does is bad, but your going to get close, from experience, your going to go back to the first couple you did, and see they aren't the same as the ones you just did, and your going to work a little more, and get everything close. And they will make power.....bottom line is, just because its old fashioned or antiquated doesn't mean it won't work. If that were the case my wife would have replaced me with a 20yr old pool boy years ago.
She did replace you with the muscle bound pool boy,you just don't know about it.LOL

To just go in and open up a port and not even be able to check it with a home built flow bench is what I said.RHS has yrs of modeling ports by hand as a ref to up load into a CNC program and has computer models it uses as well.They have heads around that are test models under continuous R & D.It's the little things that add up to huge gains.I am just site'ing RHS as only one progressive aftermarket company doing this,there are more than that.

Hot Rodding to me has always been build the best and learn the current tech.We have been in the top 4 in 9.90 racing for a very long time.Over 20 yrs.Our best this season in a now RED was in the 1/8 with a Alky 632 was 5.65@150mph.I do think I know a thing or two about the history of drag racing and the tech past and current.