Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 14101083 Cylinder Head
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
re home porting.
I dont discourage anyone from trying anything,,,,Ive done it myself. My only point is or question:How do you know how much in the way of improvement you gain by home porting?
I start with a 150 HP engine,add better intake carb,cam,headers=now I have 250HP
the home ported pos heads add how many more HP?lets say another 30,now round that up to 50 with a super tune.I now have a solid 300 HP engine(unvarified)
this equals good experience,because,,,,next time I will start with a 300 HP engine and apply my past experience.

when you start to make bigger power IE more than 1 HP/cube then parts will need more attention to detail.The more HP you make,the more it costs per HP.This is where the phrase "no replacement for displacement" comes from.We all have to work within a certain budget and these discussions need to be geared towards that part of the engine build.
With me I zero balance all engines as to me,the smooth running,especially at higher RPM and the added life make that process essential to me

maybe with you,a hydraulic cam,though giving up power is worth it for the nasty idle and not having to make adjustments
I guess that's a better way to address it, from my standpoint, I started with junk, and a dirt budget, and I have zero doubt the work I did made an improvement, for what it was, cheap and dirty, and it worked, now would I take my virtually non existent experience and hit a set of quality heads looking for an improvement? Jesus no, its more likely I would go back words, and really, I wouldnt know better, would just complain about my high dorral maximum ported heads performing poorly.....I'm not that foolish however....but Gary is saying that he believes in good parts, and learning the tech of today, and utilizing it. And i agree, but some of us can't.....he can save, buy the best, be ahead of the curve even, but it doesn't make it the be all of hot rodding......his way is good, and someday I hope to be there, but for now, home ported junk heads, hyd flat cams, and some common sense means I can play too......
And for the record, that pic of your car I your avi makes me wanna cry every time I see it lol......I swear I'm gonna finish this damn truck, drive it this summer, and sell it to buy a stick C3 and make a vicious roadracer version......I blame you